07 f150 coil

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Saff54, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Morning all,so driving home yesterday and my truck started running rough,got home opened the hood and checked the coils and found one loose,I had my ex mechanic replace them when I was having issues with them a couple years ago,grabbed it found that he snapped where it screws down and he also broke the connector and siliconed it,tried to secure it down with zip ties but not working,he must have glued it down with something to last 2years,anyone ever run the not this?any suggestions?Has over 300,000 miles but still runs and looks great,as always thanks in advance 38988F93-CD3D-4106-BDD9-730FDBECA57F.jpeg 38988F93-CD3D-4106-BDD9-730FDBECA57F.jpeg

2. Saff54

Better pic(I think) 5F1E6A98-5671-45D4-9CB6-4E83E4533384.jpeg

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

My apologies for saying this, but as a mech/tech, I have always owned my mistakes; this guy didn't want to, he would've had to eat the cost of a new coil to replace this one. I shake my head when I think of someone doing that. Sure, it lasted two years, but now you have to deal with it, waste your money. You're lucky the plug didn't unscrew itself or just blow right out. I had to fix an Escape V6 back center plug that unscrewed itself because the original factory coil broke the mounting.

4. Saff54

Hey Andy it’s not so much the cost of a coil,there’s no way to secure now that the housing is broken,I stopped doing business with him a few months ago on an unrelated issue and now I know I’ll never go back to him for anything

5. handy_andy_cv64

Can you still anchor a replacement? Is the bolt and the bolt's threaded insert still there?

6. Saff54

Nope if you look at the picture you can see the bolt and where it was attached,it’s snapped off,don’t want to wedge anything to hold it in place in case it heats up and causes a fire

7. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

Looks like you are going to have to pull the valve cover and either replace it or have the broken off ear welded back on the old one.

8. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

What does that broken piece belong to? What does the coil pack bolt to? Is that part of the head or intake manifold?
    It appears to be aluminium correct?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  9. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

The broken tab is part of the valve cover. Options for repair: replace the valve cover with a new or used one. Maybe you could JB weld to epoxy it back on.

10. Saff54

That’s good to know,I thought the broken tab was part of the manifold,my ex mechanic glued it with something because it lasted 2 years and 60,000 miles,Appreciate the help,I think I’ll get a valve cover if that’ll be a permanent fix,truck is still in good shape

11. handy_andy_cv64

The original COP design for the Modular engines had the SOHC coils attached to the intake, and DOHC into the valve cover. But I haven't worked on the latest versions, so I'm not a reliable source for repair info.

12. handy_andy_cv64

So perhaps I should just step aside.

13. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

14. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Properly cleaned (Brake clean and compressed air) and fitted, JB weld should work.
    But ,with something tried already it may not work, try and find bone yard part!

https://www.thefabricator.com/thewe...hop-the-truth-about-welding-aluminum-castings
    If you have a local weld shop stop by and ask worse they can say is no
    analyze cost of repair vs replace!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  15. Saff54

Good point,they’re not cheap! Jb weld might be the way to go!be safe all

16. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

If you decide to go with welding, I highly recommend that you remove the valve cover from the truck to do it. That way you can weld all around and avoid melting the valve cover gaskets. Also if you TIG weld it in place beware that when welding aluminum AC with a high frequency overlay is used, not DC like ferrous metals. The AC makes the wiring in your car act like a transformer and can induce excessive voltages in odd places and kill electronics. Also make sure your ground path is short and direct to the area to be welded. I learned that lesson when I was about 20. I was welding in a watts link on the diff and I put the ground clamp on the bumper bracket. All was well until I went to drive it when I was done and it didn’t want to move. It seems that I had melted the plastic liners in the parking brake cables. Oops.

Saff54 likes this.