07 f150 tranny?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Saff54, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

afternoon all,hope your holidays were great, having an issue with my 2007F150 went to back it up the other day and It felt like it was stuck in a hole it would just rock back a couple inches and then roll forward I put it in drive it move forward perfectly when I put it back in reverse there was a loud snap and it will not back up at all goes forward no problem just won’t reverse does that sound like the transmission? I’ve always took good care of it,has270,000 miles on it,any help or thoughts would be appreciated,thanks in advance!

2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Only 270K miles?!!! Does the trans fluid smell burnt? Regardless, I'd say that's the problem. Or, maybe, just the shift linkage is loose? Doubtful, though.

3. Saff54

F2013B18-8136-458D-87DC-ECB1BC9E7E37.jpeg Hey TD,fluid is clean,no smell,when you put it in reverse it’s a nice soft click,no leaks just won’t move,drove it around the neighborhood and drove great in drive,the noise was so loud when I went to backup I thought I smashed into something,really runs and looks good,I average 30,000 miles a year,hard to find an 8’ bed and extended cab so hopefully I don’t have to buy a new truck

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, it sounds like something happened on the Low/reverse drum (band?). You should mosey on over to the local TRUSTED trans shop (not the cheapo one) and see about it. They may recommend a rebuild based on mileage, but even with clean fluid, you might just be too close to another gear going 'SNAP' and all of a sudden, you don't have all your forward gears.

5. Saff54

Hey Andy,we have a great mom and pop shop nearby,gonna drop it off tomorrow for them to look at,I’ll let you know what they say

6. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Sounds like time for a new trans, :( not a new truck.

TestDummy likes this.
  7. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive

Same problem on my 08 crown vic PI (4r70W?) at about 130k. Apparently a known weakness in the reverse drum. Dunno if the f100 setup is similar but a warrantee demanded the a/c condenser unit be replaced as the trans cooler was in there and the cooler lines could not be flushed. But then CVPI used heavy duty cooling stuff.

8. handy_andy_cv64

Interesting that the reverse went out in an AODE/4R70W/4R75W (I think your CVPI has the latter), as everyone who has vehicles with those say they're excellent units, unlike the E4OD (which became the 4R100), which had lots of problems. I did a 4R100 in a 2WD Expedition, the pump blowed up real good and locked up the drivetrain, with zero fluid loss. I've never seen that happen before; that was fun diagnosing.

9. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

I had this exact same thing but on a GM 4l60e. Im not sure how similar in design to the ford transmission it is, but there was a gear on the rear if the sun shell that sheared off. I drove it 400 miles back home like that, but was down to just two forward gears by then. This was because the grinding of the sun shell against the sheared off gear filled the fluid with metal particles clogging everything up. It was a real pain to clean out, I had to meticulously clean every bit of the transmission and flush the cooler out several times to be sure I wasn't going to contaminate my rebuilt transmission.

10. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

I think it sounds like you drive your F150 too much, and you're neglecting the Ranchero! I bet the 'chero's reverse gear works fine! ;)

Joseph

11. Saff54

Haha,living in the northeast I can only visit the ranchero!gottacwait till April/may till all the snow is gone and the salt is off the roads , and yup the chero runs like a dream forward and reverse! Thanks to a lot of help from my friends!

12. Saff54

Getting my 07 back tomorrow!you were spot on Andy,it was the reverse band,got it rebuilt,also swapped out the flywheel,transmission guy said it’s an inherent problem with those transmissions,as always thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions!be safe

13. handy_andy_cv64

You're quite welcome, and knock on wood (raps knuckles on noggin) you'll get another 270K from it.