12 AWG wire crimp connectors

Discussion in 'Non-Automotive Stuff' started by Clark, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Clark

Clark In Maximum Overdrive

Does anyone sell a bare 12 AWG butt joint crimp connector other than the 12-10 AWG type.

I find those combination 12-10 AWG crimp connectors to be just too sloppy when working with 12 AWG wire.

Maybe a 14-12 AWG connector would be better but I don't see those either.

2. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

3. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

4. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I have in a pinch cut the insulation off the butt connector and used them bare. With that in mind 12 gauge wire is used to carry a fair of current and if it is improperly crimped it could lead to overheat and cause failure and or fire under the right circumstances.
    Do you have enough extra wire so it can be stripped back enough on each end use a lineman's splice repair (I think that's what it is called) then solder it.
    Makes for a better connection. Just remember to slide on the heat shrink tubing 1st.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  5. Clark

Whoa! A 14-12 AWG connector from Amazon! I'll try them.

6. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

7. 65restomod

I have seen the solderless connectors in my research. I am very curious on the the effect fullness of the solder joint. I would think for it to work right the copper has to be pretty clean .
    I wonder if adding a small amount of flux would help with the solder sticking.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  8. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I wondered that as well. That seems to be one of the criticisms listed in the ratings on Amazon, in that there is no flux in the product itself. I would think if you dipped each wire into a can of flux before inserting in the connector, it certainly would help with solder penetration and retention.

Joseph

9. 65restomod

What I do is brush on the flux using one of those little disposable solder brushes once the wires are twisted together.
    use plumbers flux in a little plastic jar .

colnago likes this.
  10. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

The lineman's splice is top of the line for bombproof connection and conductivity, a PITA and requires access and room. That said I have been using the plastic coated butt connectors since I was in HS. With the advent of heat shrink tubing it makes them much better. With the advent of a mini butane torch and the wire heat deflector its even better. It's a "C" looking thing that clamps on the end of the torch tip that redirects the heat almost 360*, even in the tightest locations you just slip it around the tubing , flame on and she is done in 10 seconds.

Cheers,

Doc

colnago likes this.
  11. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

12. russosborne

russosborne In Fourth Gear

I can't say about that particular one, but we were shown how to use them when I took a J-Std wiring harness certification class for avionics like 3 years ago. Very nice. Makes a great splice. I would have no problems using them for automotive use.

Only thing I really don't like about the ones like those that come in a mix, is that you don't get to choose what amount of each size you get. They do sell them in individual sizes. I tend to wire more with 10-12 gauge, so I get those sizes.
    Russ

13. Clark

I tried the Amazon 14-12 crimp connectors and they fit much better for 12 AWG

ForistellFord and colnago like this.
  14. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

You'd think you only need to learn that the hard way once, but I've done it more than once! Annoying as hell.

15. 65restomod

You'd think you only need to learn that the hard way once, but I've done it more than once! Annoying as hell.

Why do you think I mentioned it?

colnago and ForistellFord like this.