1957,58 59 ranchero brake drums

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by ACollin, Jan 7, 2018.

1. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

can someone please explain why these drums are different from other full size ford drums for the same generation.
    Brake shoes 11x 2 1/4 in front. Will tbird or Fairlane drums with the same size shoe work?
    Thanks all

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Pretty sure the Ranchero and station wagons drums were the same size due to weight handling needs. My sedans have 2" wide shoes all around with 11" drums, V8 cars. Had one 6 cylinder 57 sedan that had narrow 1 3/4" shoes in 11" drums. I think T-Bird and Lincoln drums are completely out of the picture as my 58 Continental has huge 11" by 4" shoes with odd ball 14" rims to clear the huge drums.

3. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

4. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

Thanks all for the reply.

I have seen the eBay ad and am considering it.
    I guess the question I have is how many different ford drums will actually work on my 1957 ranchero-- what the factory intended is one thing, but I am looking at what is serviceable and safe.
    A local shop is telling me 1960 galaxie drums will work on my fronts. $80 for the drum but a machine shop with need to remove my hubs from the old drums.

Some 57 ranchero for sale near me who did a conversion said he swapped in brakes from a 73 ranchero and it was a direct swap no wierd fit end.

I would simply like to better understand my options. Ex: there is a guy near me who did a conversion to disc who has great stuff -- the take offs-- to sell. Would his 57 custom drums work on my 57 ranchero rig?
    Thanks

5. andrewok1

this place has conversion kit you will have to check it out ,maybe call them and ask ????
    http://www.autocityclassic.com/disc-brake-conversions/

6. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

All you need to get the drum off is a press. A lot of people who work on cars have them.
    Properly set up, you won't need to replace the studs afterward.

7. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

It seems Auto city classics doesn't offer a kit for 57 - 59 ranchero . My car came with 14" wheels. I am afraid my wheels will ot work with their offerings.

Ribald 1 : Are you certain about the press solution for removing the studs? I heard a hammer and a drift would work. I blocked it and hit that stud with a few good hits with a deft and a substantial hammer and it didn' t budge.

8. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

All of mine had some rivets holding the drum to the hub. Grind the rivet heads off then support the drum allowing space for the hub to fall out when pressure is applied to the hub. Most of the lug studs have splines that grip the drum also so expect them to add effort to removing the drum from the hub. I leave the lug studs in the hub then clean away any interfering metal on the studs with a Dremell grinding tool. End results is I can remove the drum when wanted without bothering the hub and wheel bearings.

9. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

No rivets that I can see.
    I'm thinking I need to find a shop with a press.
    I'm new to the forum-- it looks like I can take a picture and you folks would have a better idea.

10. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

This is what I'm looking at.
    I,assume the picture will transfer. image.jpeg image.jpeg

11. ribald1

A hammer will distort the holes they are pressed into. I don't recommend doing that.
    Up till the 70's the pickup and van drums were done that way, especially in the front.
    There are special hole saws that cut the swaged part around the stud if you want to go that route.
    I have had good luck with pressing the hub off while retaining the studs in position rather than pressing them out and replacing them. If there is equal pressure on the studs and the hub it comes off in one piece. I have a 20 ton press.

While at the press, don't forget to take further advantage of it by pressing out your old races and pressing in new ones.

12. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Looks like '57 to '60 F100 drums might work, they are 11 inch and swept width (cut area on drum) is 2.42". Bolt circle is 5 x 5.5", $30 or less on rock auto. Check your bolt circle. You'll need to use the old hubs if they will work.

13. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

Thanks again for all the assistance . I just need now to answer a couple questions I am certain one of you folks knows the answer to.
    What size are the brake shoes in a factory standard V8 1957 ranchero?
    What is the depth of the surface the shoes ride on 2 1/2 , 2 1/4, etc?

Is it 2 1/2 depth--- 2 1/4 brake shoe width?
    Thanks
    Andrew

14. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Rock auto lists 57 shoes as 11 x 2 1/4. Other ford drums listed as 2 1/4 shoes have a listed machined depth of 2.42 inches (see F100 above). You may be able to use the galaxy drums you mentioned above if you go to 2 1/2 shoes and possibly replace the brake cylinders. But I suspect you might also need the galaxy hubs to avoid interference with the backing plates.

15. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

It has been quite a trip, but I believe/ hope, I can see the journey's end. I have an iron or two still in the fire for back up-- who knows at this point , I am pretty confused-- because I still am not sure exactly what I have/ bought originally. More on this in a bit. I could have had a front end transplant for all I know.

I ordered today a complete set of four brake drums from All America Classics in Vancouver, Washington. They told be they have a few 59 rancheros and a few station wagons that they are parting out. Seem to be thoughtful folks with good customer service. The yard man pulls the parts-- checks them over and I get a report on what they find. The drums are $75 each so I decided to buy all four. $40 to ship , but they are only about an hour away. Still might go get them.Part of my decision on the four was to assure myself that I will have period ranchero parts. I am in a holding pattern once again, but I expect to make the buy.

The reason for my earlier statements about what I have--- Trying to match stuff has been pretty rough. My car came to me with front drums with a braking surface of 3 1/4 with 3 inch shoes. My rears were 2 1/2 riding surface with a 2 1/4 shoes. Not factory ranchero. I have no idea what they came from. While my hubs fit and worked, they appear to be different -- not the same- I know this now that they are separated from the drums-- drums were trashed in the process, hubs seem usable but took a beating in the removal process. I was bleeding bits of money on services that did not fix my problem.

I hope that once I find my way back to stock like stuff all will work and be serviceable. Thanks for all the support and ideas. Please don't stop with the advice or hold back from calling me a knothead. Ask questions, provide advice-- this is an education for me and learning can often hurt!!!!

Be well all
    Andrew

16. andrewok1

this ebay seller can get you drums for 125 each

eBay - old.parts <oldpar_ls3197ub@members.ebay.com>

3:25 PM (1 hour ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me
    [​IMG]

New message: We can supply front drums for 125.00 ...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    New message from: [​IMG]old.parts (25,134[​IMG])
    We can supply front drums for 125.00 each plus shipping.
    [​IMG]Reply
    Your previous message

FRONT DRUMS FOR MY UNCLES 1957 RANCHERO ..would you be able to help me out locating those

[​IMG]Rear Brake Drum 1957-1959 Ford Convertible Ranchero NEW

[​IMG]
    Price: $99.99
    Buy it now
    Quantity Remaining: 9

17. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

I have seen their ad on eBay for the rears. Calling them was one plan. I just never got to it on my list of options because my assumption is that if I went in that direction , I would also need to buy hubs. It is pretty weird at how "creep" finds its way into this project. I am still hoping that I actually have 57 - 59 ranchero spindles, back plates, etc. I do know my the hubs that came on my car were not the same right to left and that my drums were definitly ford but seriously deeper/ wider than what ford put on a ranchero. I suppose someone years ago could have swapped out the entire front end?????
    At this point, I am commited financially to this place in Vancouver. Wa--- All American Classics. If the parts they have don't fit, I will really be in the stew. Options truly narrow at that point.

Be well all-- thanks for the support
    Andrew

18. andrewok1

well all i did was message them & ask about fronts ,keep their info for the future , they might even know about other supply house , /Andy
    We can supply front drums for 125.00 each plus shipping / https://www.ebay.com/itm/192426733325?ul_noapp=true

19. ACollin

ACollin In First Gear

Update:
    All American Classics in Vancouver , Washinton came through ($75 ea for fronts drums with good hubs). Mailed to me on Friday, got em today (Monday). Sized them on my spindles and all looks good. Took them to a local shop had them turned and the shop said there is plenty of meat to turn them again if I needed to. I will put all the stuff together in the next few days-- most optimistic I' ve been in days.

Question: Can anyone tell me why most auto parts stores near me-- Advanced and O' Reilly's -- wanted to sell me 9" shoes for my 57 ranchero? It took a smart older guy to check for stationwagon information to get me the right shoes 11x 2 1/4 for a drum depth of 2 1/2.

I hope to be back on the road soon!!!
    Andrew

andrewok1 likes this.
  20. ribald1

Glad it worked out.
    As to the parts stores; if you have a pre- 1998 car, especially an oddball that wasn't produced in the tens of millions, you need to research parts before you go to the parts store. The databases they use are fine for the post computer era, but the older stuff was largely entered by hand by dogs that became disabled chasing cars.