1957 frame replacement with Lincoln Towncar frame

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by baldwin90740, Sep 16, 2020.

1. baldwin90740

baldwin90740 In First Gear

Hi
    I am new to the site. I have a 1957 and I would like to put it on a Lincoln Town Car frame. I read about it in a 2008 post but no details. Has anyone done one lately>
    Thank You

2. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

That would have been me using a 1992 Town Car under a 58 Ranchero. We were at the point of working out fuel tank placement and stretching the wall behind the seat to make a huge storage compartment extending back into the bed area. The design of the Lincoln rear suspension necessitated raising the bed floor and we were working out what it took for the compromise. Unfortunately, a lightning strike caused the shop to burn taking my Ranchero and some other cars with it. Haven't had the heart to repeat that build. It is very do-able though.

3. Hillbilly

Been a while, the Lincoln wheel base is one inch longer than the 57/58 but that is irrelevant. Place the rear wheels in the same position and the huge front wheel wells leave plenty of room to hide that inch difference. I had planned on retaining the Lincoln rear air bags and the antilock brakes but didn't get that far.

4. baldwin90740

Hillbilly
    Thank you very much for the information. I have a project to complete first. I will start looking for a Town Car.
    Gene

5. Hillbilly

Choose a 92 thru 94 Town Car. Best front suspension design and better transmissions. Four wheel disc brakes with anti-lock and can upgrade the front brakes to larger from a 95 very easily. Don't get rid of the Lincoln body until you harvest all the wiring and electronics.

6. baldwin90740

Thanks again. You saved me a lot of research. I am on California. I have found that over the years that people from the South are very NICE and helpful people

7. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Seems like the town car frame is good for other type of upgrading ford cars with a new frame swap