1959 F100 ignition wiring confusion.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by FordR500GT, Mar 14, 2018.

1. FordR500GT

FordR500GT In Maximum Overdrive

My dad has been nagging me about wiring up the old 59 F100 ignition so he can drive it. However, I suck at wiring and I have no idea where the wires go. Wiring diagrams are no help to me
    There are 5 wires hanging under the dash. 2 black wires, a red wire, and the other two contain several wires all leading to 1 terminal. One of these has 2 black wires and a red wire, while the other has 1 orange and 1 black wire.

2. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

You have found the wires, so you are on the right track.
    Now, look at the wiring diagram. Each line is a wire and the color of the wire should also be on the diagram.
    The diagram shows where each wire gets connected.
    Go back and forth between the diagram and the wiring, looking at stuff that is already hooked up. It will quickly start making sense to you.
    From there you are ready to tackle the disconnected stuff.

Kiwirancher likes this.
  3. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

You might try a hotwire connection just to see if you are on the right car -- a clip-lead from the battery + terminal (12v) to the 'batt' terminal on the coil (the one not going to the distributor) -- and then a temp connection to the left terminal on the starter relay. That should make it crank over, enough to start the car. Be sure it's in neutral. If that works, then removing the first wire will turn off the motor. That's all it takes to start your car. The stock ignition on your truck is nothing more than that.

4. FordR500GT

Okay, I figured it out. It was actually simpler than I thought after I was able to climb under the dash and look at some of the wires. At this point I've rewired basically about 85% of the truck. All of the original ignition wiring I just cut out and replaced the best I could. So many wires were touching and so much insulation was split that I'm surprised it didn't catch fire the first time I hooked up a battery to it. I have the fan, cigarette lighter, and the dome light all wired with fuses. I'd love to just put a whole new wiring harness in there, but that's too expensive for a truck that's never going to be a show truck. Next, I need to pull out all the old headlight and taillight wiring, and redo that. Then once that's done, wire up the turn signal switches

5. FordR500GT

This truck only needs the fuel system hooked up, brakes, and an alternator to be drivable at this point

6. ribald1

Good work!
    Now everyone can bring their wiring problems to you.:D

7. FordR500GT

Hell, I even fused everything correctly!:D:D

Jeff B and 1965 Ranchero 66G like this.
  8. ribald1

That should keep the smoke inside the wires, where it belongs.

9. FordR500GT

I have a jar of spare solder smoke, just in case things get boring..