1962 ranchero in Phoenix

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Center' started by Boris1971, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

Greetings- I purchased a 62 ranchero a few weeks ago. I’m 48 and guess I needed a project. Not entirely new to rancheros. My dad daily drives a 66 and my brother had a 60 years ago. My 62 is an interesting story. I purchased it with a 200 in it and a 4 speed according to seller. In looking it over and decoding the transmission turns out it a late 80s 5 speed. Fun discovery. It has a header, 2 barrel Weber carb and electronic ignition. The engine was beautifully smooth but it dumped oil so I started the rear main removal process to find out someone silicones the seal in place. In fact there was so much silicone it’s on the crankshaft. Because of this I pulled the engine yesterday and will be pulling crank to get to the upper portion of seal. Car is rust free and has numerous other mods both interesting and awkward. It’s a long story so I’ll try to add more later.

2. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That paint motif is similar to one I used to see near my work. It was well-done but may have been aftermarket, but the colors were Seafoam green and white.

4. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I bet that was a smart-looking combo! If I ever get around to painting my '67, it will be Lunar Green (think of mint ice cream) and Wimbledon White.

Joseph

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Maybe that was the color, as the car looked factory.

6. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

When I purchased the car it was delivered. It was clear it probably shouldn’t be driven a long way. My step son and I took turns driving once around the block and then we pulled it into the garage. The brakes were going steadily soft and after parking it the right front wheel cylinder bled out. So after one hour of ownership I was at the auto parts store. In the end all four needed replacing.

7. colnago

Your new best friends! If you're like me, you'll be in every week.

Joseph

Boris1971 likes this.
  8. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

I pulled and reinstalled the crank a few days back. Many hours of cleaning silicone from all the surfaces. I’ve decided I do need a new oil pan. This one has had a new partial bottom welded in it for unknown reasons. Generally bent up and there was plenty of silicone on both sides of gasket. To the credit of prior owner the pan didn’t leak. Last night I cleaned and repainted the timing cover. I’d have cleaned it to aluminum but it has some putting so paint made it look nice and fresh.

9. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

In a few days I’ll be visiting my brother who has the proper spring compressor and the template for drilling the new upper A arm mount holes. Arning / Shelby drop. Everything under there is worn out and having the engine out will be a fantastic opportunity to get at the suspension easily. Plus with the 200 the pan was so close the center link couldn’t come out without flexing around pan. It may be a few months before suspension is done and engine is back in.

10. colnago

Will you keep the 200, or upgrade to a 289/302, while you're doing the suspension?

Joseph

11. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

I’m a bit of an odd duck. For my purposes I don’t see the value in a V8. I purchased the car for fun and was originally looking for a 6 with 3 on the column. Mostly I’ll use it for running errands and going to Home Depot. But I also have a 1962 fairlane that has a 302 with a 303 cam and 5 speed. Years ago I swapped a v8 into a Dodge Dart. For me I recognize that it will never perform like even a modern Honda so I’ll enjoy it’s flavor in a similar manner to how it was originally conceived. My goal is a no excuses turn the key and go driver.

Kiwirancher, beerbelly and colnago like this.
  12. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

What I didn’t say is that on the dart it didn’t feel like an upgrade in the end. That slant 6 was a sweet little engine and for all the work it didn’t feel like an upgrade, it just felt different and I think I was hoping for more. In the end it didn’t feel worth it.

13. Saff54

Saff54 In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Welcome to the site Boris,keep us in the loop

14. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

I have hypothesized that this was owned by a young fellow at some point. It has a touch screen stereo mounted into the dash and an instrument pod to the left of the factory one. It’s brand is JDM a brand I would associate with young guys modifying Honda’s. It has oil temp and pressure. Coolant temp and a tach. Also a programmable redline light. For the stereo there are speakers mounted in the rear panel and 2 mounted in the replaced cardboard headliner.

15. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

Perhaps the strangest part of this car is that it was fully painted many years ago in the red white theme. However the doors were not. The doors still show original color with one repaint on the door jambs. The vin tag in door is original to car. So it appears someone restored the car with a different set of doors on it and then swapped them back to the original doors that don’t match. I feel solid in this conclusion because the rest of the car has repainted interior and the door jambs are painted but the doors themselves have not been touched. The doors have a touch of the original black paint on the insides and have never been repainted on the inside. Interesting. I toy with idea of looking for prior owners to see where the matching painted doors are.

16. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

I’m back from vacation. I picked up spring compressor and Shelby drop template from my brother in Sacramento. I installed water pump today and did some organizing in garage. I have a small garage in Oregon that is well set up. I brought home a larger tool box and a number of tools I don’t have here in Arizona. I have put a number of parts in my shopping cart at falconparts. Really wished I could have dropped by their storefront when I was nearby but it didn’t work out on my vacation. They are in a Sacramento suburb.

17. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

Progress has been slow in the heat. Installed rebuilt upper control arms and new lower control arms. Spindles are cleaned and painted as are springs. Hopefully on Friday I’ll get one spring installed and get the rest of the bits in. Spindle, backing plate and new brake drum. I’d like to see the car back on the ground by Monday. The engine is still in the garage. I was hoping to have the car running by end of October.

18. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

Yesterday I completed suspension install. Today I bled brakes and did a preliminary alignment just for pushing around purposes. Nice to have the car back on it’s wheels. Tomorrow I’ll probably play in the garage a bit. Start cleaning up the bell housing and other bits that will be needed for engine install. That will be a while. I’m going to be away from home for most of the next month.

19. colnago

Appreciate the progress reports. Any new pics?

Joseph

20. Boris1971

Boris1971 In Second Gear

i think I chose the old car for a reason. I had photos resized but tech challenges. I’m having all kinds of problems