1964-65 Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Porkchop, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Porkchop

Porkchop In First Gear

Gentlemen,

I’m hoping you can answer a question I have regarding leaf springs. I have seen several bits of conflicting or unclear information and I’m hoping someone here has some personal experience.

Question:
    Will leaf springs from a 1964-½ - 1966 mustang function on a 1965 Ranchero?

I have read that mustang leafs can work on 64-65 falcon coupes and sedans, but alters the ride height a bit. However, I believe that falcon wagons and Rancheros share leaf springs that differ from those of the coupe/sedans. "How much different are they?", I suppose is the important question.

I have done some perusing Eaton Detroit Spring’s website and the part numbers are indeed different (no real surprise). They are the same width, and the ‘improved handling’ mustang leaf has a ‘110 rate’ and the Ranchero is listed as a ‘120 rate’. As I’m sure you all know, there are a heck of a lot more options offered for mustang springs than for the Ranchero, so knowing that I could use Mustang springs would give a lot more options when re-doing my rear suspension this summer.

Thanks in advance for all input!
    Chris

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

I believe the length is different

3. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

4. Porkchop

Porkchop In First Gear

Thank for the input, guys!

I guess I should clarify why I'm on this quest. My goal is to make the ole 'chero handle really well. Mike Maier Inc. has a pretty slick front suspension setup that works for 64-65 falcons and rancheros, they also make a particular design of leaf springs that are supposedly really good at eliminating wheel-hop. Trying not to use traction bars as they're detrimental to proper suspension travel. If you're interested, short video demonstration:

If I can't find a good wheel-hop mitigating leaf spring, I think I may have to start shopping for a 3-link coil-over kind of setup.

5. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

I will check my parts manual after work today... Station Wagons usually work... but many Mustang, Falcon, Comet, will cross over. But let me double check.

Wheel hop was a concern for me as well... went with the original springs, with a good set of coil overs. Got a nice rack, and no wheel hop!

6. Porkchop

Porkchop In First Gear

Thanks, I'd appreciate that!

7. Dark Side Tom

Dark Side Tom In Second Gear BRONZE MEMBER

No surprise that the wagon and Ranchero share leaf springs. I believe 60-65 Cheros were made from 2 door wagons. That's why rear seat foot wells are under the removable bed plate behind the cab!

DST

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Point of history: ccording to my Ranchero book, every MY ranchero shared body panels with the wagons, which was a Ford cost-cutting measure.

9. PonyExpressRider

OK!!! For 1960-1964... took me a while to find where they hid rear suspension... it was at the end of the exhaust section...

Attached Files:

10. PonyExpressRider

1965-1972

Looks like you may have some options... Included 66-71 assembly just in case

General Information is posted in the Ford Parts Manual 1965-1972 under Ranchero Tech, if you need help breaking down the parts numbers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019