1964 Horn question?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by tariko, Jan 10, 2010.

1. tariko

tariko In Second Gear

When I got my 64 ranchero, the horn ring was taken out and I can not tell what parts are missing. I am attaching 2 pics describing what I got and I am hoping someone could help me identify what's missing.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Best I can find - this is a '65 but it won't be much different. NPD Mustang has most of the parts. All that I can tell from your picture for certain is you are missing the spring but you could also be missing a contactor and some other parts.

[​IMG]

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

http://www.falconparts.com/search_r...earch=fromSearch&btnSearch.x=9&btnSearch.y=12

http://www.falconparts.com/1960-1965+HORN+BUTTON+SPRING.html
    [​IMG]
    Category: HORN PARTS
    Product ID: C0DZ-13A807-B
    Description: This spring fits between the horn ring or button and the steering wheel and is required to keep the ring/button in place. Falcon
    Price: $4.00
    http://www.falconparts.com/1960-1964+HORN+RING+RETAINER.html

[​IMG]
    Product ID: C2DZ-13A809-A
    Description: This Ford Falcon part is the retainer that holds the horn ring or button onto the steering wheel. It will fit all 1960 - 1964 Ford Falcons as well as most other Ford products of the same era.
    Price: $3.00

[​IMG]

Product ID: C5ZZ-13A821
    Description: This 1965 part is a horn contact kit consisting all new parts to fit into the horn ring of the 1965 Falcon ONLY.
    Price: $10.95

http://www.falconparts.com/1965+HORN+RING+RETAINER.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2010
  4. tariko

tariko In Second Gear

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I guess it's clear that I am gona need the white ring retainer and the spring. Do you guys know what goes into the 2 threaded holes close the steering wheel nut and the black hole at the bottom?

5. 5.0 Chero

The two threaded holes are for a steering wheel puller

6. George Zinn

George Zinn In Third Gear

From your picture looks like you need the "Horn Brush" (13A821). If so, Dearborn and others have them.

Attached Files:

7. tariko

tariko In Second Gear

Hi guys, thanks for all the replys.
    With all what you guys described below I figured i will need the plastic ring retainer, the spring and the brush assy. Am I missing anything? Is the spring supposed to connect the ground from the coloumn to the metal plate on the ring (sitting on top of the plastic retainer) so that when the horn button is pushed down, the metal in the ring gets in contact with the brush and close the circuit of the relay? Please help me with this:(. This is all I get left to get a sticker on this thing and get it finally registered.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

8. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

The spring's purpose is to hold the contact apart until you close the switch by pushing on the horn ring. It "floats" under the horn ring over the steering wheel nut.

9. drlance

drlance In Fourth Gear

I'm gonna make a quick comment.... Wouldn't a Grant or Lecarra swap be a lot easier and faster?
    I swapped a Lecarra wheel onto my 79, It took longer to remove the stock stuff than to install the new wheel and horn button.
    Just my thought......
    Lance

10. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

horn

if you need some time, you can pick up a horn button assembly at the Help! section of most auto supply stores. you'd have to rig the wiring and clamp it to the column, but it could get you thru the DMV headaches. my 2 cents.

you're almost done with the "correct" install though, good job.

11. tariko

tariko In Second Gear

I ordered the parts yesterday and the package is on it's way. Hopefully everything works out.
    About the swap, I left that as plan B if i couldn't find the parts but thanks to you all, I think I ve located everything I need.

12. tariko

tariko In Second Gear

I got the parts and everything worked out well. I had to replace the relay too and I found out that the 2 horns were not working, I opened em up and found that the left one was still good and it just needed some cleaning hwever the one on the right was burnt. I guess one is better than nothing for now and should be enough to get me thru the state inspection.:D

Thanks again for the help.

13. Charlie63

Charlie63 In Third Gear

63 Steering Shaft

I have tried numerous times to get my steering wheel together per the parts breakdown that was posted earlier.
    My son pulled the shaft out, and we found a Ford sticker on it, so we guessed that it was replaced sometime in the past.

If anybody has the steering apart, could you measure the length of the shaft? Maybe the replacement shaft wasn't for a 63.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  14. Charlie63

Charlie63 In Third Gear

If the information in the AutoKrafter's catalog is correct, 60-63 has a 40" input shaft, and 64-65 has a 39" input shaft to the steering gear box. That maybe my problem as to not having enough shaft to get the horn installed.

15. dadcohn

dadcohn In Second Gear

I am also trying to get the horns on my 64 to sound. I tested both horns directly from the battery and both sound (one much better than the other). Then I unplugged them and pushed my test light into the plug on each and pushed the horn button and neither lit up. However when I unplugged the plug from the relay and put the test light into the plug it did light up. Does this mean my horn relay is dead and causing the problem?

16. 5.0 Chero

yes its a sign the horn relay may be bad but you need more testing
    pin out for relay
    3 should be hot all the time
    1 should be hot when horn ring is pushed
    5 is ground signal from horn ring when pushed

to test horn relay with it plugged in ground out terminal 5 with a jumper lead
    horn sounds - the problem is before the relay
    no horn sounding need more testing
    hook test light to terminal 1 repeat test
    no light bad relay
    if test light lights problem is in wiring from relay to horn

upload_2019-6-22_3-12-53.png

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    Freestyle Don likes this.
  17. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

So what did you do with the stock steering wheel:D

Cheers,

Doc

18. 5.0 Chero

Doc that post was in 2010 he has not been on since 2017 I may have a stock wheel if you need one

Doc76251 likes this.
  19. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

Hey THANKS 5.0!! I'm not sure if I want to go back to original but I've got this 13" Grant "thing" that just doesn't suit my hands (or the car IMHO) and I remember the one from my T-bird and never had to look around it to see the gauges. I'm really enamored with the OEM "sport" wheel with the wood grip a'la the Cobra but would like to find it with black metal. Half looking for an OEM black one on a tilt column. I'm still up in the air about what to do with the interior tho. I'm kinda waiting to pull the trigger on a 408 stroker build and a T-56 Magnum which will require the floor to change more than a little before I get serious about the inside, but that Grant wheel is killing me.

Cheers,

Doc

20. dadcohn

dadcohn In Second Gear

5.0....I ran the test on the horn relay. When I grounded out #5 nothing happened. When I then touched #1 with my test light it lit up AND honked. Does that indicate bad wiring AND a bad relay?