1965 Ranchero - 289 / T5z Conversion

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Jim Ciontea, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Jim Ciontea

Jim Ciontea In Second Gear

Gentlemen,

Exactly correct.

The Sniper EFI has a lot of electronics built into the throttle body (including a throttle position sensor, manifold pressure, intake air temp, coolant temp, rpm, etc.) plus there is a servo that adds air (Idle Air Control circuit or IAC).

My electronics were going dead as soon as I went to START; thus the problem.

Holley didn’t want any power coming from the solenoid (too dirty) or the coil (too dirty). I’m not trained in reading wiring diagrams but as near as I can tell 12 volts comes to the ignition switch only from the hot side of the solenoid. Then there’s a wire going back to the solenoid to engage the starter and to send 12 volts temporarily to the points to aid in engine starting.

When the starter is disengaged the points go back to only getting 9 volts.

I wasn’t sure if the Holley relay would be triggered by 9 volts, but I knew the Pertronix relay would, so I picked up the 12 volt output from the Pertronix.

Hope that makes sense. All could have been avoided had I replaced the factory pink resistor wire, but ultimately this was easier.

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If he has the newer solenoid without the 'I' terminal, the older ones are still available from Vatozone and O'Really's. I just purchased one the beginning of August.

3. Jim Ciontea

Jim Ciontea In Second Gear