1965 Ranchero Barn Find, Now What?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Ranchero Newbie, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Ranchero Newbie

Ranchero Newbie In Second Gear

Ranchero and sofa 006.JPG Ranchero and sofa 005.JPG Ranchero and sofa 004.JPG Ranchero and sofa 003.JPG Ranchero and sofa 002.JPG Ranchero and sofa 002.JPG Ranchero and sofa 003.JPG Ranchero and sofa 002.JPG Ranchero and sofa 003.JPG

I picked this up for 2K, after replacing the distributor and harmonic equalizer and cleaning the
    carburetor on the 200 inch 6, it runs and shifts fine.

My major concern is what to do with that transmission shifter on the floor. Advice?

Next, I cannot decide, yet, whether to keep it as a daily driver, or flip it. Does it have
    any retail value, running, as is?

If it is to be restored, should I aim for a classic 1965 look, or something else? Clearly, not a
    muscle car with the straight six, but it is fun. All drum, no power steering.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  2. Ranchero Newbie

My concern with the shifter is if it is stock, probably not, was a floor shifter a standard item on this '65? Basically, don't want to get upside down with the overall
    project should I decide to bail out at some point. I've looked around this Forum trying to see what others have done with '65 Rancheros; not seeing a great many.

Off the top of my head, she's going to need interior, alignment, tires, oil and transmission fluid changed out, rust repair and paint. The rust appears around the edges of
    the doors, and a strip of it along the top of the rear window that has eaten in pretty good.

Beyond the stuff mentioned, I've had the radiator flushed and filled, it did not have any leaks.

3. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Second Gear

It's hard not to "get upside down" on resto projects in general, even if you have something pretty collectible and sought after. Rancheros don't really fit into those categories.

There are Chargers, Superbees, Camaros, Chevelles, Mustangs etc that can be $50K and up. Not sure too many 65 'cheros could get there but you could easily have $10 or $20K or more in a restoration depending on what it needs and how far you want to take it.

That said, for $2k I think it's cool and if it were me I'd keep it and work on it as I had time and money and keep it. Maybe a TV show featuring the 65 will come out and make it really desirable like Scooby Doo's Mystery Machine lol.

4. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Second Gear

Oh, and as far as value goes, if I hadn't just bought a 69 and you were in my area I'd give you a bit more for it than $2k if it's not a total rust bucket underneath but not a lot more. It would just be a personal use hobby/project for me without money making in mind, and the baby blue would go bye bye.

5. Ranchero Newbie

Thank you for the overview, it gives a useful reference point as I progress.

I think then I'll start with seat upholstery so I am not sitting on blanket covered bare springs.
    Tires and alignment to make it safe, oil changes to prevent it from consuming itself and see how it goes.

I've always liked a pick up, nothing beats it for utility. Modern pick up trucks are breathtakingly
    expensive and they all look like melted chocolate bars.

As to this old Ford, when I look under the hood I am strangely charmed by the simplicity of the
    motor. The whole thing has an odd kind of Puritan ethic about it- with an automatic transmission
    popped in.

As far as fuel goes, will regular octane damage it?

Someday I might want to tow a Coleman Pop Up behind it, always enjoyed that.
    Not sure on the weight, maybe a 1000 lbs? Would that tear up the transmission?

6. DJ Clinton

DJ Clinton In Second Gear GOLD MEMBER

Looks about the same shape my '64 was in when purchased. I did pay more than you did. Prior owner had done some "upgrades" that I am having to redo, but it's fun and I am still enjoying the work. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and it is almost driveable, once I get the seats in it. I am sure you can flip it for more than you paid if you decide not to do the work.

7. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If the shifter works, I'd say leave that alone; it looks good. I haven't seen those Fiesta hubcaps in a long time. This car would look cool painted satin black with red wheels, the Fiesta caps , slammed low to the ground with fender skirts on the back.

8. Ranchero Newbie

Great info, thank you. Beer Belly, most interesting thoughts. Even though this
    is a pretty straightforward vehicle, doing my own work is something I don't do anymore.

I'll put the shifter on the back burner for now. Did they normally come with a floor shifter?

9. beerbelly

I believe all 6 cylinder cars, either manual or automatic, came with column-mounted shifters. Yours is an aftermarket conversion to locate it on the floor.

10. beerbelly

Think about it....:D

IMG_7157.JPG Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 4.28.27 PM.png

11. Ranchero Newbie

Whoa, Nelly, that is pretty BA.

12. Ranchero Newbie

BB had a great concept in mind, what color would you run with?

13. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Second Gear

I'm also partial to black but for that car it would be gloss, not satin or whatever sheen that is in beerbelly's pic.

Although a lot of folks are, I'm not a fan of lowered, bagged or slammed vehicles. Never really liked that concept or look.

14. 65restomod

65restomod In Fourth Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I also would keep the floor shifter, it looks to be installed with some care.
    Make sure the floors and lower part of the rear window are not a full rot out before any expensive work is started.

15. Ranchero Newbie

Thank you for all this info. As much as we have looked, floor looks good and rust contained to top of rear window, some on right door at rear corner that
    has perforated. All this information is useful.

The low rider concept fits with the small displacement engine. However, dropping it to be an inch or two off the ground would remove its utility as a truck.
    El Paso has some pretty rad low riders, and I like the concept as art, but I do need to use this for hauling bicycles and stuff.

This information is very helpful, as I go through this 'chero I will provide updates.

16. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Second Gear

You could do something like this.

17. Ranchero Newbie

18. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm sure it wasn't, but why did that mill look like a Buick Nailhead?

19. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

yup that was a NAIL HEAD and a great choice

20. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Really?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FordR500GT likes this.