1966 Ranchero project almost done

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Ranchero_66, May 28, 2010.

1. Ranchero_66

Ranchero_66 In First Gear

I wanted to share my project with all of you. I bought this car about 2 years ago off of e-bay. It was a Colorado car most of it's life and appeared to have been restored in the mid 80's. The body and paint held up well but it was time for a refresher. After the summer I totally tore this car apart for a mechanical and body restoration. I spent many late nights and weekends getting it to the point it's at now. The hardest thing that I had to fix was the bed floor. It looked like someone dropped a bolder in the middle of the floor, denting it in several inches. After many, many hours of jacking and pounding, I finally got it pretty good. The rest of the body was in good shape. Minor things like some waves and small dents and dings, nothing too bad. The fenders were pretty bad. The drivers fender had been hit hard and fixed. It was still pretty twisted. The passenger fender was salvageable with just a little prior dent repair. But I was lucky enough to have found 2 NOS fenders over the winter saving me from countless hours of trying to make the old ones straight.

I have attached a few pictures. I've started painting the jams and I'm getting ready to paint the body this weekend. Hopefully everything comes out right... Thanks.

IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG

2. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Very nice project - you should be proud of your work! And, Welcome to the site!

3. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

A lot of job there, nice, and I guess it will be red :D:rolleyes:
    Welcome :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
  4. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Nice RED :) good job and can't wait to see more pictures :)

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Lookin good!
    Guess you won't be using it as a rock hauler when you are done.

6. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

nice work! keep going!

7. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

You are doning an awesome job! What is the name of the red you are using? My Ranchero/Montego (this project is posted here in the pic's section as well) is in the shop getting painted right now (med red garnet pearl 87 GM color) That will be one very pretty 66! Can't wait to see the finished product. Take care Dan

8. DonC

DonC In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Looking good, keep it up.

9. Ranchero_66

Hello, well its now candy apple red, at least the lower half is. Tomorrow I will mask off the lower half and paint the top half metallic black.

IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG

I'd make the pictures bigger as I see other post can do but I haven't figured out how to do that yet....
    I'll post more once the black is on. Wish me luck, kinda nervous about masking hours old paint tomorrow but the re-coat window is closing...

10. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Know the feeling good luck and just dont let the tape be on there for long after paint, you know you might get the glue on the tape to get to the red paint, the new paint is like a solvent to the tape glue sometimes especially if its a lot of solvent in the new paint:eek:

11. tully

tully In Overdrive

66 ranchero

Looks very good and a great color, hurry up and finish and you can help go get some tar with it...LOL

12. Ranchero_66

Maybe not in the bed, but very soon I hope to be melting some tar under the tires...:D

Engine is the original 289 rebuilt with mild cam. Added ceramic headers and 3" exhaust during the restoration. 3 days ago was the first time the car has been started since October, Little on the loud side....

IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG

13. cesarnitro1

cesarnitro1 In First Gear

very good job, maybe you could learn to restore my 66, is severely damaged

14. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

To post them bigger you will need to host them on the web.. then use the URL to link them here.;)

15. As Is '66

As Is '66 2 Wheeled Mod Staff Member

I Love it!!!

I really enjoy seeing these `66s come together, it gives me inspiration...
    Been thinkin` bout some more sanding and body work on mine...
    Procrastinating is easier though...
    Lookin Good!!!

16. Ranchero_66

Painted the metallic black today. Amazing how fast the urethane paint dries. Painted this morning, by the afternoon I was putting parts back on it.

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

17. Ranchero_66

Here are a few more pictures...

IMG_0545.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

18. cesarnitro1

cesarnitro1 In First Gear

very good job, hopefully soon see the finished

19. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

i like the paint scheme!

20. Ranchero_66

Thanks for all the positive feedback.. Next step is to wet sand and buff. Once I finish that, the car can be completely reassembled.

Picking up the bumpers and some trim parts from the re-chrome shop later this week. I'll post more as the car gets put back together.