1966 Ranchero Rear Intake Manifold Ports Diagram

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Marvin, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Marvin

Marvin In First Gear

Hello everyone. Can anyone help tell me where the other 2 open ports go on my 1966 Ranchero please see photos?

I know the big one goes to the tranny so there are 2 more small ports open left to go. Can I just plug them without interfering with anything?

While the engine is running I can feel them sucking in while placing my fingers over them

I have a C60-9425-A intake manifold.

20180930_075614.jpg 20180930_074048.jpg 20180930_074109.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Yes, plug them - that's a pretty big vacuum leak that you don't need.

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The steel line might be a booster feed, and the bottom one is likely a feed to HVAC controls, for a car with vacuum controls. But yeah, cap them. Then, use a can of carb cleaner and lightly spray along the intake sides and around the carb base, to identify any other vacuum leaks that need fixing.

4. Marvin

Marvin In First Gear

Thanks guys, the engine wasn't running ruff, but by capping both ports the engine is idling and running smoother.

5. Kiwirancher

Kiwirancher In Second Gear

On my 66 the small one goes to the vacuum reservoir , the larger to the PCV . I don't have that big steel tube , as suggested probably ran to a booster.
    Denis.

6. Marvin

Marvin In First Gear

Any way you can post a photo thanks much!

7. pmrphil

You can see in the pics that there is NO booster - single manual reservoir master. Makes me wonder if the engine/intake has been changed? Intake bolts have no paint, and I see wiring that has been altered.

8. Marvin

Marvin In First Gear

Went I bought the car it had been sitting for year I'm the second owner pink slip was a carbon copy type pink slip.

Before I removed the engine I labeled all the wires but all the vacuum lines were pretty much dried out and not connected see photos.

Also not sure if it makes a difference its drum brake all the way around.

The guy was retired and had 4 ranchero on the property he siad he parked it and let it sit due to his old age and didn't drive anymore.

So you guess could be true.

Attached Files:

9. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

That part is called the 'vacuum tree' -- just a place to attach vacuum lines to the only source of vacuum on the car, i.e., the intake manifold. Newer cars have more taps.

If your car has a heater, that will use one connection. The auto transmission needs a constant vacuum source, so one line will go to it. If you have power brakes, that needs a large fitting (but you have manual brakes). Does your car have vacuum wipers? That would need a connection. Just plug any that you don't have a need for at the moment.

10. pmrphil

There ya go - the steel line went down to the trans, and most likely the other 2 were capped off.
    P.S. Nice job on the cleanup - looks great.

11. Marvin

Marvin In First Gear

Thanks makes sense no brake booster but the heat and windshield wipers deal makes perfect sense the that line is broken and no heat at the moment so now I know where those both will need to go when the time comes to install new parts for the heater core and wiper motor.

12. Marvin

Marvin In First Gear

Thanks did this about a year ago and got to busy to finish now I'm back on it .

Thanks!

13. Marvin

Marvin In First Gear

One more question guys what cuase the carb to pop like in this video is the timing off.

Not my actually car but I have the same sound but less rapid as in this video.

Thanks much again.

https://youtu.be/WnQxuPK9HC8

14. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Other than that being a Chevy motor, your timing is way off , or a bad valve. Do a compression test.

15. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

That is normal for a Chevy.
    With a Ford, that kind of regular backfire would be a stuck or severely burned intake valve.

16. Marvin

Marvin In First Gear

Would a to tight rocker arm possibly create this

Its definitely coming from the carb, today I had my wife on the gas paddle while I listen and looking it's coming from the carb. I saw a thin smoke cloud that was only barely visitable while she was on the gas.

I don't have my distributor running to the carb yet for the vacuum advanced timing either.

Tracing it down slowly, I will reset my timing over the weekend and start there first.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for what to start looking into you guys are a great help with fast responses.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  17. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

If you have adjustable rockers, yes an over adjusted one could create that situation.
    As said above; do a compression test.

18. Marvin

Marvin In First Gear

Great, I will put that on my list to do for Saturday, I'm wondering about the burn valve because I don't have any street miles on the block I've only moved the car less than a block.

When I start this project I got it fired up after installing the block, but got to busy and let it sit for about 9 to 10 month only firing up the engine once or twice to keep it lubed in side every couple months if that makes sinnse.

19. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

here are some factory diagrams

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 2:19 PM
  20. Marvin

Marvin In First Gear