1966 Ranchero Rear Intake Manifold Ports Diagram

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Marvin, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Marvin

Marvin In Second Gear

Well guys that was an easy fix took off my passage side valve cover and bam one rocker arm wasn't over tighten it was not tight enough see photo 20181014_162906.jpg

2. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

OOPS !!:eek: Good find. :rolleyes:

3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

How can you run those kinds of studs without pushrod guides?
    Also the nuts are in very different positions relative to each other. What method did you use to adjust them?

4. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I believe these are the "rail-type" rocker arms that came after the 289 heads which had the cast-in slotted guides in the heads. The rockers had "rails" on each side of the tip that were supposed to keep the rocker arm centered on the valve stem head.

MELMRK610.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 8.39.46 PM.png

Marvin likes this.
  5. Marvin

Marvin In Second Gear

And you are correct, I think the angle of the pictures is miss leading, cuase my rockers are slotted as the rocker on the left in the photo you have provided :)

Thank!

6. Marvin

Marvin In Second Gear

7. ribald1

8. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

@ Marvin ... check the pushrod to make sure it isn't bent when you put it back together.

9. Marvin

Marvin In Second Gear

Sure thing, the popping is gone please send any links that to in sure I've done this correctly .

Thanks again you guys are great with the help.

10. ribald1

Starting with all the rockers loose, adjust in the order shown in the link you provided.
    Run them down to zero lash (by feeling drag when twisting, or lifting up and down until it doesn't move), then add 1/4-3/4 turn on the nut depending on the lifter/spring pressure combination you are running.

11. ribald1

Then there is an obvious issue with that particular rocker, or it wouldn't have done what it did.

12. Marvin

Marvin In Second Gear

Sorry that's the way I did it with just a little spin in the push rod when tighten each one down I think I might have just either lost concentration with the wife bothering me but i remember having to turn the crank shaft as I did each 2 per cylinder lost of work and bending over the fenders that's what I did yesterday to just get the one on and in ran the engine for 15 minutes after.

I'm going to run threw them all again Friday or Saturday for sure so I can move on to the area of the 66 Ranchero o've got my motivation back ;)

13. pmrphil

Personally, I'd say if the miss is gone, no ticking, smooth idle, then there's no need to go through them again - what could be the gain?

14. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Hey Phil, what's your opinion of adjusting the lifters with the engine running?

15. Marvin

Marvin In Second Gear

He-he if it ain't broke then don't fix it lol.

It's running very smooth now

16. Marvin

Marvin In Second Gear

First 302
    The 302 engine I did over 20yrs ago rocker arms where to tight had a guy pop both valve covers while I started the engine he kept losing them up and finally it fired up I almost cried as that was the only thing I did wrong in the rebuild, this ones funny one lose one :cool:

He adjusted them while the engine was running.

17. ribald1

I always adjusted Chevys with the engine running. The lifters were too soft when not under oil pressure to set right any other way.

18. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

Same way that I have always done Chevys, hope you used the clip on oil deflectors instead of goggles.

19. ribald1

Cut up old valve covers and used rocker stoppers.
    Still made a mess, but it was the only way to get a rocket 350 to have a smooth idle. Had to set the rockers so you could hear them or the garbage lifters would pump up due to the light valve springs and float valves before it got to 200HP.

20. pmrphil

Haven't done it in probably 25 years, used to have a valve cover with the center cut out to facilitate that. No need to have it running if you know how to adjust them properly. I adjust them on the stand when assembling and they don't need readjusting after installing and break in. And, no, the brand (of engine) doesn't matter - more importantly, the quality of the lifter.