1967 500 - Buster - Main Restoration Thread

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by eqshadimar, Mar 7, 2006.

1. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

There are the newer Retro style radios, but I am not sure that they make one that fits the 67. A "good" car audio shop should be able to tell you, though those are becoming hard to find.

Having a PO hack things up does free one up a lot. It can also tick one off pretty heavily too. The amount of "jerry-rigging" on mine was pretty amazing. PO used a cut piece of electrical extension cord for a couple of wire runs originally. Seriously one of those orange extension cords. They also fiberglassed a lot of the rusted areas poorly so as soon as they got wet they came off. They hid it pretty well too so I didn't see a lot of it until after the blinders came off. Ha. Some of the stuff was so badly done that unless I get a donor 67 there is no way to go back to stock (namely the bed area).

My wife's 66 Dart on the other hand is bone stock. Original interior, original paint, original engine, etc. There are a ton of things that I really want to do but it is really hard when there is so much original, untouched stuff there. She actually just decided this weekend that she wants to sell it (after only a year). She wants to get a shell of something and give me free reign to do what I want to it, as long as it is safe. It felt like christmas came early. Hahaha. Of course that means she gets to drive my 67 while I build her care.

2. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Sounds like you have some thinking to do. I agree that if things are too far gone in the "customized" direction it can certainly make things worse.

On the radio issue. Yes places like RetroSound make nice units. However for 1/2 the price you can get a single DIN unit with many more modern bells and whistles. Normally most retro radios do not list being compatible with the '67's and this is why:

Here are the dash pieces of a '67:

[​IMG]

The areas I highlighted in red cause all the issues. Now take a look at the dash for a '68 (later models carry the same opening going forward):

[​IMG]

See there is no little pesky bar in the middle that separates the push buttons from the rest of the dial face. Also the dial face has the cover self contained as opposed to being part of the dash itself. Now in mine '67 someone already cut out those pieces to install a '80's era cassette player. So now do I just cut it a bit more for a single DIN or go the retro radio route? I dunno..to be decided :)

Laters,
    Jeff

3. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

That was the same issue I had in my 67. The PO had cut it up to fit an 80's era deck as well so I just had my brother-in-law's shop cut out more for the single din head unit. Ultimately I'll take it out and fit the lower gauges in there and move the radio to a hidden area in the console I am going to make. I may get rid of it all together and just use a tablet/slate for the job since I want to go that route anyway. That way I can run my MegaSquirt stuff and the radio functions (aside from AM) all from a nice large touchscreen.

4. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

my dash was unmolested except a PO removed the orig. radio. it had the hole there for quite awhile. but i knew finding and replacing an orig dash would be expensive. i ended up installing another orig. radio and putting a newer radio in the glovebox.
    i wired some speakers to the access panels in the tire storage area walls. i just screwed them to the existing mounting holes.ran wires behind kick panels and under hte scuff plate rockers. so it all looks stock, but speakers are hidden along with a newer radio. put a remote in the ash tray. done.

5. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Yeah the more I think about it the more I think I will do a semi-hidden installation. Even though it will be more expensive I will probably go with a RetroSound unit to retain as much as the stock look as possible. Or perhaps just blank out the radio panel totally. Still that is down the road a bit so I will have time to change my mind several times between now and then :)

Laters,
    Jeff

6. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The cutting out the floor is the hard part. Sort of a finality about it, knowing there is no turning back once you do it. Looks great. Are you putting original type floor pans in there? Or just slamming some sheetmetal in there? What many people don't understand is, all those contours and shapes on the floor of cars aren't for looks, they are to give the floor strength, which in turn gives the car strength, particularly unibody cars like Ranchero's. Do it right, or don't bother. That's my motto.

7. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Sean -

I totally agree! Go back to page 4 of this thread for the pictures. Here is a link to the post. The next couple after this one also show the finished job with the POR15 applied:

1967 500 - Buster - Main Restoration Thread

Laters,
    Jeff

8. TestDummy

Yep, I just saw that, and must say they look AWESOME. You will have something special when you're done; not something we would have probably done in high school.

9. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Thanks and I agree! :cheers: I am itching to get Buster all put back together so I can enjoy all the hard work but all of a sudden everything got super busy. ARRGH!

Laters,
    Jeff

10. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Good news! Buster should be released for road duty this weekend...WOOT! :car:

Laters,
    Jeff

TestDummy likes this.
  11. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Congrats. Still have a bunch to do on mine so I am jealous. Enjoy!

12. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Thanks guys. I have been lacking on my picture taking but will take and post a bunch this weekend. Maybe even a short vid so ya all can hear Buster growl :)

Laters,
    Jeff

13. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

I am now driving around in Buster WOOT!! Here are some before and after pictures:

Rims and Tires before:

[​IMG]

After (motor boating):

[​IMG]

After final (cut off 1.25 coils in the front springs):

[​IMG]

Another shot:

[​IMG]

Rear tire:

[​IMG]

Laters,
    Jeff

14. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Interior beauty shots :D

Before/After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to take some pictures of the door panels and gauges but I think you get the general idea :p

Laters,
    Jeff

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  15. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Ok just because I can't resist looking at this work of art:

The motor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Laters,
    Jeff

16. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Random exterior shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laters,
    Jeff

17. TestDummy

One awesome Ranchero, right there.

18. deaconminister

deaconminister In Fourth Gear

That all looks fantastic. I love the interior before and after.

19. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

That thing looks terrific.

20. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Looking darn sexy there. Ha. Can't wait until mine gets to that state. Still a ways to go.