1967 500 - Buster - Main Restoration Thread

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by eqshadimar, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Scott Zimmerman

Scott Zimmerman In Second Gear

The car looks fantastic!

2. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Thanks everyone! Everyone (myself included) at the shop pushed to get it done. Funny how a simple fluid change led to all the work but it had to be done. Now the real work begins...bodywork UGG. That is the one area myself and the shop are not knowledgeable in. Well to be fair I did take an auto shop class in High School and repaired a 1" dent. I have a couple of places that I am going to get quotes from that are known to us so I will trust their estimates. Basically there is rust in the torque boxes, almost the entire bottom edge of the doors and rear quarters. If you look at the pictures of the rear wheel you can tell that there is a ton of bondo (or something) on both sides. Also the bed needs some TLC. The tailgate has some cracks as well.

At this point the plan is to split the job up in halves. Do everything behind the cab and into primer or sandable scratch coat. This would include the quarters, polishing the stainless steel mouldings, bed liner, etc. Then do the same in the front replacing all the rubber seals, door felt, etc. Then paint it all. It is either that or wait for years to get a huge chunk of Rancherobucks together and have it done all at once.

The bodywork is really the last part of the journey for me. Everything else is pretty much done at this point. After the body and paint I will probably upgrade the rear end, upgrade the stereo, send off the dash to get redone, and redo the clock and gauges, and maybe a wood steering wheel. Oh and install three point seatbelts. I really do feel nekkid driving around with just the lap belt. So still quite a bunch to do but it is now cool on in the inside (both looks and temperature) and looks ok on the outside with the new rims and tires. So I am going to take the summer and just enjoy driving it around. I love all the thumbs up I get just driving it around town.

Great progress for a couple of months if you ask me!

Laters,
    Jeff

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  3. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

I would deal with the structural rust underneath first, then move to the bed and floor pans. Once that is done, sealed, and painted, move to the exterior work. The rust on the outside is obvious, but the other rust could sideline the vehicle, possibly permanently.
    With the outside work you can use a catalyst type primer and break it up into as many small jobs as you want as the catalyst type primer won't absorb water and protects as well as the finish paint will.

4. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Awesome thanks for the suggestions! That makes sense.

Laters,
    Jeff

5. havensole

havensole In Overdrive

Agree with ribald. Get those torque boxes taken care of first.

6. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Hello everyone. Well while trying to figure out the body stuff I have done some small updates to Buster. I purchased a bunch of small interior stuff like the rubber nubs for the ends of the sun visor, new armrests, new door locks knobs, flat washers that go behind the door handle and window crank, and some floor mats. So nothing special but I post the pictures here for your enjoyment :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Additionally on the radio front I have discovered that the previous owner did hack the dash up way more than I thought to get the existing radio in there so it looks like I will be installing a more modern single DIN unit for the truck when I get to that point.

Also the dome light and the courtesy lights are no longer working. The fuse is ok. Any opinions on where to look next?

As always thanks for looking.

Laters,
    Jeff

7. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Another small item moved to the COMPLETED list today...I got the mirror in the inside rearview mirror o_O replaced. Went to a place at lunch expecting to wait a couple of days to pick it up but 20 minutes and $25 later it was ready to go! The silvering on the original mirror was coming off making it pretty much useless. Now I will be able to see behind me. It is amazing the overall difference fixing these little things in the interior makes.

Laters,
    Jeff

8. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Looks good!
    As to the lights, do they come on when you use the headlight switch to turn them on? On most cars the power for them runs thru the headlight switch.

9. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Doh! I forgot about that. I will have to test that and see what happens.

Thanks!
    Jeff

10. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

interior looks terrific dude!

11. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Thanks!

The next small baby steps are going to be trying to find something to remove all the ground in dirt on the kick panels in front of the doors. I have tried everything I can think including Mr. Clean Magic Erasers which in my experience seem to get pretty much everything off of anything. I may have to figure out some sort of solution and just let them soak for several days. I have also just purchased some paint pens and I am going to attempt to fill in areas that are supposed to be black in the dash panels, door handles, and window cranks and maybe try out some chrome or silver spray paint for the other areas on the dash. I figure worst case I would have to just send them off to get re-finished anyway so I might as well take a stab at it. The last thing I am looking for is a nice leather cover for the steering wheel but it seems all the ones I look at are for modern cars with the thicker rim. Oh well, digging this stuff up is the fun part of the journey :)

Laters,
    Jeff

12. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

13. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Okay just a little something for those of you checking this thread. First is that I learned via the interior assembly manual that the door release handles should not be lined up straight with the arm rests. They should be up about 15 degrees so I am going to fix that. It makes sense actually since they would be easier to grab that way.

Second is I have attached a recording of the exhaust taken from my iPhone. Enjoy :)

www.madtomstudios.com/Cars/BusterExhaust.mp3

Laters,
    Jeff

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  14. VRMJ66

VRMJ66 In Second Gear

Wow. Thats a sweet 67. the interior looks great!

15. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Hey thanks man but honestly at this point I would rather have all the bodywork done like yours :) but I have no complaints. It is a nice place to be for sure!

Laters,
    Jeff

16. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

hey,
    can you post a pic of the top of your column?
    i'd like to see what gauges you have there and how you mounted them.

thanks'

17. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Sure thing. I will try and take some tonight. Still having issues with the interior lights..sigh. Fuse is good, bulbs are good and turning the headlight switch does not turn them on. Now I am looking at tracing the wires from the fuse block out.

Laters,
    Jeff

18. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

Alright here are the pictures of the gauges. The mounting "system" is just a big ass hose clamp going through the bottom of standard gauge cups. Nothing fancy. I am thinking one day I may weld the mounting points to the column but that would not be until I do the paint job and have the interior resprayed (if I even do that). I know it seems kinda hokey but I figure it is probably what they would have done in the 60's anyway. I looked at other options but my stack of ranchero bucks was running out for this go around so this is how I saved some money.

So without further ado, here are the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just some thoughts. It is amazing when you take pictures like this how you find more areas that need cleaning and touchup work :). Ah well still plenty to do I suppose.

Laters,
    Jeff

19. eqshadimar

eqshadimar In Overdrive

I added my VIN and data plate information to the first post in the thread.

Laters,
    Jeff

20. Bryan59EC

Bryan59EC In Overdrive

Dome courtesy lamps

may have come disconnected between the HL switch and the and the door switch
    on my car I believe it is a blue wire coming from the windshield post area for the lamp itself (dome)
    this plugs into a 3-way connector that comes off the HL switch and one of the leads of the door switch may also plug into this.

eqshadimar likes this.