1967 Power Brake Conversion

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Alans67Rancho, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Alans67Rancho

Alans67Rancho In Second Gear

Hey all. I just purchased this booster/master combo from Summit. My dad informed me that I may need to swap pedal assemblies since I'm going from manual to power brakes. He said he had to on his 68 Mustang. Is that also true for the Fairlanes? I'm not seeing any pedal assemblies online or anyone running into this. Fingers crossed everything lines up... TIA

2. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

From the Summit site, it looks like it depends on what configuration of Fairlane you're driving.

When I converted my '67 F250 to disc/drum, I had a similar issue (brakes on the '67 were a one-year design, and front discs weren't an option until '68). I ended up using a '67 booster, connected at the firewall to my pedal assembly, and connected the front of the booster to a '68 master cylinder for disc/drum. I also got a new disc/drum proportioning valve. The front discs are '68, rear drums are '67, and she stops on a dime (but still gets stink-o mileage).

Joseph

3. Alans67Rancho

On the mustangs, the difference between a manual and power brake pedal is the throw of the rod connecting to the booster. Manual brakes need a mechanical advantage so the master cyl connects higher with an offset rod on the pedal giving more leverage. On a power brake pedal, the straight rod connects lower, putting the rod in-line with the booster assembly. I think thats how it is anyways... Im gonna dig into mine next week. I was just wondering if anyone had dealt with this. I'm already way behind schedule (parts on backorder) getting my car going and I'm trying to keep ahead where I can.

colnago likes this.
  4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

factory were different not sure what the "conversion" was designed to work with I would ASSume it is for a manual pedal assemble

5. Alans67Rancho

Do you know if the factory power brakes had the offset riser bracket before the booster or if the booster went directly into the firewall?

6. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

67 had the offset riser / bellcrank . The reason was to raise the booster high enough to clear the engine valve cover.

Alans67Rancho likes this.
  7. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Before the booster, as Hillbilly explained why.