1967 Ranchero

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by jrappl, Nov 22, 2013.

1. jrappl

jrappl In Second Gear

My 67 Driver. "Project" Edsel in the background.

Attached Files:

kaytbugsdad likes this.
  2. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Looks like a very clean and original ranchero. :)
    So is it already to go or do you have some plans that you can share with us.

3. jrappl

jrappl In Second Gear

It's drivable now and runs, shifts and drives wells but there's plenty to do on it.

I think it had been sitting for a while so I'm going over it. Fixing all the minor stuff that comes up. I've had to replace a bunch of light bulbs, replace head lights and adjusters, fix some turn signal wiring, replace a few switches, flasher, turn signal lens, etc.

I have some restoration to do on the dash pad and gauge panel. They are not awful but not great either. The clock doesn't work. And I have new seatbelts coming (originals are missing). I'm getting some seepage from the PS cylinder and the A/C is not working.

More major stuff for the future is that the original 390/C6 was swapped for a 302/C4. It would be nice to get a big block back in there. When they did the swap they screwed up the shifter in the floor console. I think they reused the C6 shift rod and I believe it's the wrong length.

I think I will have the back leaf springs redone too. It sits a little low and is uneven by an inch in the back.

Just stuff but simple and easy to work on.

4. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

Very cool, love the stacked headlights on this model!

5. T16592

T16592 In Fourth Gear PLATINUM MEMBER

Sounds like the usual restoration stuff , but best of all no body work. I personally like doing the mechical work myself. Be sure to post some pics as you go. Could be real interesting when you get a FE big block to replace the SB 302. Nothing like Big Block torque under the hood:D

PonyExpressRider likes this.
  6. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

power steering cylinder leakage is probably due to the rod getting dinged up with rocks.
    probably no boot to cover it? my did the same and unit replacement was the result.
    fixing the seals wont help. its that $5 boot that saves you big money in hte long run for that unit. mustang boot will work on it too.

cools on the project, at least you have a decent paint job. does the edsel sport a 331 FE?
    edsels are cool too. i'm a fan of the 57 ranchero with edsel front end customs.

7. jrappl

jrappl In Second Gear

Thanks for the info on the PS. It's only a drip every couple of days so it can wait until after the Edsel is on the road.

The Edsel has the original 292 Y-Block and 2 speed auto. It was stuck when I got it, last run in 1969 and sitting in a shed from 69-2010. Shed was falling down so it got moved outside for a couple years until I got it a little over a year ago. I thought I could get it unstuck and worked on it with various stuff for about 4 months. I gave up and pulled it and after seeing what was in the pan I'm glad it didn't turn!

It went to the machine shop to be cleaned and rebored .30 over and I had the crank reground. I put the crank and cam in with new bearings, the rods and new pistons are on the bench ready to go in. Lots of new parts to install but it's just a matter of time...

8. davis

davis In Maximum Overdrive

sweet.
    you probably already know about the Y-block forum as well.
    tons of cool stuff and info on there.

what year is the edsel?

9. jrappl

jrappl In Second Gear

The Edsel is a 59 Ranger 4 door. I wasn't really looking for an Edsel but it showed up and it's not something you see everyday.

10. JeffTepper

JeffTepper In First Gear

The pic caught my eye as I recently had a chance to give this car (or its twin) a close look. It is sitting on a used car lot in San Jose. The OP's description seems to fit this car exactly what with the engine/trans substitution, the buggered up shift linkage, the wheels and side trim-ectomy. At present, it is for sale at an asking price of $16,900 having been recently bought at a Scottsdale auction for $11,500. and prior to that for sale on the internet from a dealership in Florida at an asking price of $21,995. IMHO the present value is closer to $11,500 than $16,900 and the car will likely be sitting on the lot until the price comes down significantly. At any rate, I passed and have no other affiliation with the dealership or the car. Note further that I recognize my post is reviving a 5+ year old thread.

11. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Overdrive

BIG Blocks can be fun... :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Saff54, Hillbilly and Kiwirancher like this.
  12. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

Yeah, but they're thirsty. I can only get 9.5MPG in-town with my 352FE (yeah, I saw that yours is bigger (size matters, right?)). But it's fun to drive! Gulp, gulp, gulp!

Joseph

13. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Yep, they be thirsty. The more air you can pump, the more fuel it takes too. That smile you get from nearly stopping the earth's rotation makes it all worth while though.

14. PonyExpressRider

OH YES!! They are thirsty!~

Depending on the brand of gas... I can get 10-11 MPG... 10 usually when I am having fun with the accelerator! :)

14 if I just let it cruise at about 60 MPH... that can be fun too... watching the looks as people pass you, and their jaw drops when they read the hood scoop!

But all those penned up ponies want to run... :rolleyes:

In town MPG.... I don't really want to know!

colnago and Hillbilly like this.
  15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Dad and I didn't build our 427's with fuel mileage in mind. We have modern throw away vehicles for that. Those huge FE's are for the times you want to sacrifice some tires or blip the throttle and suddenly be five car lengths out in front of traffic. MPG doesn't enter the equation, especially when you're engrossed in that brutal sound from that monster under the hood. Something I miss= Remember when the background sounds in movies was clear enough that you could tell what engine was driving by just by the sound ? Today's films either have silent cars or cars that sound like little foreign tractors stressed to the max. My lawn mowers have better sounding engines. Watch a re-run of "Bullitt" and you will understand. Wedge head Mopars are the only ones that have the same ear candy as healthy FE's. Even our ancient F-250 manure slinger got treated to some nice FE magic. Toppy 428 001.jpg

Saff54, beerbelly and Kiwirancher like this.
  16. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

I just soooo wanted to get up to double-digit mileage in town. "Oh, it's the timing." "Nope, it's gotta be the carb." "Maybe I need headers and porting the heads." But the FE was designed for a different time and purpose. Now, I need to see what I can squeeze out of a 289. My morning commute is only seven miles, so it's all just a game to me.

Joseph

17. RancheroRandy

RancheroRandy In Fourth Gear

Some of my fondest memories of my teenage years was the sound of my father's Stage 2 426 wedge in his '66 Dodge pick-up (when you could order almost anything from the factory) when flooring it and watching the look on the face of the guy in the SS396 as I passed him....as long as we were rolling....lol!

Hillbilly and colnago like this.
  18. kaytbugsdad

kaytbugsdad In Second Gear

Colnago---- I'm using a 289 right now, the 351 heads have been ported, polished, new valves and retainers..... I'm thinking about going with a turbo next year, just to play around with it.... everything I've done right now is in my signature....

colnago likes this.
  19. PonyExpressRider

Keep in mind... Carroll Shelby was able to get 400HP out of a 289 just by changing the cam, heads, headers, and a 4bbl, in the 1960's! They didn't last a long time, but it could be done. Hell, they are getting 300 out of factory V6's! With todays technology... I would think a 289 could be a real beast! And get decent mileage.

20. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

They didn't last a long time?!? Haha! Gotta love it!

I currently have a generic "RV" cam in the 352FE. I was going to swap in a more aggressive Lunati cam, then decided to sell the truck before I made the swap. But it hasn't sold, so I think I'll do the swap if it ever stops raining in SoCal. It's also fairly popular to install Sanderson Shorty headers in these beasts. I'm still on the fence with that, mostly because of $$$. But I keep being told, "If you can't get the bad air out, you can't get the good air in!"

If I ever finish with the FE, I'll feel like I can dive into the 289 ... or 302 ... or 5.0 ... or (gasp!) a 260!

Joseph