1969 - 250-6 to 302-2V Conversion list of parts

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Boiler92, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

I'm putting together a list of stuff I think I'll need to do the subject conversion. My 302 does not currently have a distributor or starter so I'm putting those on the list. For now I can figure out part numbers and sources but may come back later if I need help sourcing. Anyhow, anyone care to comment on this list if you think I've left something out? Thanks.

1. Engine front supports, insulators and heat shields.
    2. Engine rear support.
    3. 2V Carb and carb spacer. (I have a 2150 carb, need spacer).
    4. Distributor, plugs, wires, coil (Plan on going electronic. See other thread)
    5. Starter.
    6. Alternator bracket.
    7. Alternator ? (Different from 6?)
    8. Power steering pump bracket.
    9. Power steering pump (different from 6?)
    10. Crank and water pump pullies.
    11. Column shift linkage to C4 (I think I saw that it the 250-6 is different from the 302).
    12. Radiator and radiator hoses.
    13. Radiator support.
    14. Exhaust system (I have manifolds already).
    15. Throttle cable.
    16. Air cleaner (is the 6 cyl. the same? May get a chrome one anyway).
    17. Possibly front springs but I'm hoping not. Literature indicates they were different.

2. Boiler92

18. Radiator fan.

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

There's no rear support other than the transmission mount.
    Alternator and power steering pump can probably be reused as you're not changing anything related to these two.
    Column shift C-4 linkage should be the same, kickdown linkage is different. Early V-8's had it on the intake, later ones were carb -to - trans. You could use a Lokar cable.
    Radiator support should be the same.
    Have fun with this, should be a blast when it's finished.

4. Boiler92

Thanks pmrphil.

Here's why I'm questioning the rear support. Maybe a difference in elevation going from the 250 to a 302?

250:

250 rear support.jpg

302:

302 rear support.jpg

5. Boiler92

And here is why I questioned the radiator core support:

Radiator core support.jpg

6. pmrphil

I would think it's because the 6 cyl. radiator is narrower than the v-8. Might have to get creative finding a radiator with the correct inlet/outlet locations. Remember that different year small blocks have different water pump outlet locations and different timing tabs (plus timing marks on damper). That might make it easier to match something up, unless you wanted to change the radiator support also. It seems you have enough talent to do that, I sure don't. :oops: Maybe a 6 cyl./A.C. radiator would do?

7. pmrphil

Oh, crossmember and trans mount. Now I get it.

8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The linkage on the column is the same, but since this has the 250, and uses the Windsor bellhousing, the linkage and bracket on the bellhousing *should* be the same. If it had been a 200, the linkage and bracket would've definitely been different. If you use a newer C4, the bellhousing and converter are a bit longer, so that may make a difference.
    If you want, you can put a phenolic spacer from an '80s V6/V8 engine on; I did that on Babe's 351W, and so far, 30+K miles, it's been really good. You'll just need your 2150 to have a 1/4" nipple for the PCV.
    The air cleaner is different, by a country mile. If you want factory stock-appearing, any engine with a 2150 will work. I preferred to use the 1979 one from the donor Grand Marquis, it just made things simpler.

Boiler92 likes this.
  9. Boiler92

I went back and looked at a few pics of the rear engine mount (tranny mount on the cross member) from when I was replacing the floor pan. I cannot imagine this is different between the 250 and the 302. I looked back at the 1969 Ford Shop Manual again and think that Figure 4 above for the 302 must be for another vehicle and not the Fairlane/Ranchero/Torino. I'm not going to bother with changing anything out with that rear support unless I find that I do indeed have an elevation problem mating up the 302 to the existing tranny.

tranny mount.jpg

10. Boiler92

I watched the Autorestomod video on removing a C4 from their 69 Fairlane wagon. Their crossmember is a little different looking than mine although it is a very similar size and shape, if not the same, theirs is slotted and I don't think mine is. At least not from the top view. They mention in the video though they have a 351C in the wagon that is not original to the car. Here is a screen shot from their video below. I emailed Jeff Ford to see if he knew if I am going to have to swap out the crossmember and mount too.

Any of you guys with 68-289's or 69-302's have any pics of your crossmember and mount for comparison? Thanks.

autoresto tranny mount.jpg

11. handy_andy_cv64

The '69 wagon--did they say what the original engine was? And, it's possible the crossmember was not original to the wagon, so hopefully, someone can answer this question. FWIW, I always thought that the crossmember was the same, just its position on the frame was determined by the engine/trans combo.

12. Boiler92

Does anyone know if the front motor and frame mounts for a 69 mustang are the same as for a 69 Ranchero for a 302?

The 69 Shop manual doesn't note any difference. I have a line on a set off a 69 Mustang.

Thanks.

13. handy_andy_cv64

Lemme check my Motor Manual...it goes back to '68.

14. handy_andy_cv64

Correction...'69.

The upper mount ('insulator' in the pics) appears to be close if not the same, you'd have to check part numbers with your favorite supplier.

PSX_20201228_212254.jpg PSX_20201228_212319.jpg

The lower mounts ('engine front support's in the pics) are not the same. And looking at the mounts for the 250, the lower mounts are also different. You'll need both full mount assemblies.

15. Boiler92

This is very helpful. Thanks Andy.

16. handy_andy_cv64

You're welcome. I'm just glad I was able to put up the pics before Verizon cut my phone service for non-payment....:(

17. Boiler92

Hope you're not serious.

18. handy_andy_cv64

I am, but don't worry, I'm working to catch up. Basically, I bit off more than I can chew, but I'm getting it worked out.

19. Boiler92

I went ahead and dropped the 302 into the Ranchero this morning. Sort of. Screenshot_20210104-112544_Gallery.jpg

LSChero, 65restomod and The Wrench like this.
  20. handy_andy_cv64

Oh, a wheelie warrior! Cool!:D

Boiler92 likes this.