1969 Downshift Linkage - Nothing to do with carb?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Boiler92, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

Good evening all.

I've seen a lot of references and how-to's on connecting the downshift linkage to different types of carbs as well as the Holley EFI system. Although I haven't looked recently at my 69 I'm pretty sure there is a linkage from the accelerator lever to the C4 tranny on mine that is independent and not at all connected to the carb. I assumed this was for kickdown when you really step on the gas. I'm also pretty sure I don't have any linkages from the 1 bbl carb on the 250-6 down to the tranny but, again, that is from memory at the moment. It's too cold and dark out right now for me to go look.

The reason I am thinking about this is I'm still planning my 302 swap and gathering parts for when it warms up and I can do the swap. If what I have is like in the picture below from the 69 Shop Manual is there anything that needs to be done after the swap in regard to kickdown or is what I have all I need and just keep it like it is? i.e. on my 69 kickdown is controlled like in the picture below and has no link to the carb. Thanks.

1969 Throttle and Downshift.jpg

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Downshift linkages are normally connected at the carb throttle lever follower simply because it's the easiest to do. Older cars had it connected wherever it was convenient, because the throttle was controlled by linkages as opposed to a cable. The inline sixes (at least on my '81 Fairmont's six), have a lever that the throttle lever would press against, thereby changing sideways movement to backward movement, simply because the carburetor's orientation prohibited direct connection.

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

If I remember correctly you will be able to use the 6 cyl pedal assembly/linkage with the 8 cyl you may need a different cable length though

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  4. PonyExpressRider

PonyExpressRider In Maximum Overdrive

The FE's are definitely different! There is not a direct link between the throttle and kickdown, as the kickdown lever is mounted on the firewall. You have to open the secondary's, before the kickdown engages. Makes for a hell of a ride. :rolleyes:

5. Boiler92

Boiler92 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

Thanks for the replies. I'll leave it like it is unless it becomes apparent there is a conflict with the 302 installation.