1970-71 Ranchero GT AC Replacement & Dash Color

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Kevsocali, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Kevsocali

Kevsocali In First Gear

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm currently preparing to pull my dash out of my 1970 Ranchero GT to rebuild and replace the wiring, sound proofing, repainting the dash panel and upgrading the AC/Heater system. Got everything except the AC/Heater parts and type of color black for the dash panel ready. Looking for some advice from everyone to help guide me down this road.

What color black should I be using for the dash panel, looks like flat black to me, was going to pick a semi-gloss Ford black. Don't want it to over power the color for the rest of the parts, upholstery, dash pad and panels.

Secondly, im having a hard time finding a aftermarket AC/Heater system for the Ranchero. I can always rebuild the original, but wanted to step up the quality and ease of a new design system.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Kevin

2. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

3. Kevsocali

Kevsocali In First Gear

Hey Huevos, I noticed the product is used for flexibility for vinyl applications.. Should this work just as good for the metal dash panel?

4. stabmasterarson

stabmasterarson In Third Gear BRONZE MEMBER

I was looking into installing AC in my 72 with a 351c which never didn't have factory AC and I was told that "vintage air" makes a decent AC kit. I was also told trying to work with a stock 1970's AC system is both a pain in the neck and the wallet.

5. Kevsocali

Kevsocali In First Gear

I was hoping that 70 Mustang applications would be close to what I need for a stock original AC car, but they said they don’t list a Ranchero kit and wouldn’t be able to guarantee it.

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Unfortunately, they're always going to say that. Surprising they didn't say if there was a Torino or Fairlane kit.

pmrphil likes this.
  7. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I have a new Vintage Air universal Ford kit.
    I haven't installed it yet but did notice you have to get their firewall kit for the hoses.
    The output for the hoses face the passenger side of the car and will have to be rerouted with another hole in the firewall. Not a big problem but it would have been nice to use the factory hole.
    I replaced a perfect working factory unit for the weight savings as I am trying to take as much weight off the front as possible.
    Greg

8. Kevsocali

Kevsocali In First Gear

Let me know how that install goes for you Greg. I'm still putting my list together before pulling out the dash. I want to get everything done at the same time.

9. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I will do that.
    I will more then likely install it next week. On the dash it is kind of a pain to get out by yourself but not that bad.
    I also couldn't find a speedo-gauge circuit board when I did my dash so i converted it to a digital dash. I posted a whole series here if you are interested in converting yours.
    Greg

10. Kevsocali

Kevsocali In First Gear

Greg, send me the link to your series on the converted digital dash.. I might go that route..

11. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

I have used it on metal parts, but SEM makes a Trim Black that is for metal and plastic,

https://www.semproducts.com/product/trim-black/black

12. Kevsocali

Kevsocali In First Gear

Huevos,

What color SEM did you choose for your dash panel? Low Gloss/Satin Gloss or High Gloss. I want to match the original color as best as I can.

Thanks, Kev

13. Kevsocali

Kevsocali In First Gear

Hey Huevos,

I ordered two of each, trim black and the Landau Black.. I'll see what comes out the best. Each product was well received by customers and the videos on each were impressive. Thanks for the info!!

14. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I used landau black complete color change from green.A bit glossy when first applied,but will lessen with age.Still looks good ten years later!
    Make sure you clean surface well and wipe with reducer/cleaner before painting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Kevsocali

Kevsocali In First Gear

Looks good LSChero! Thanks for sharing your photos and materials you used with your project with me.

Kev

16. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Its in the tech reference and articals on the second page.
    Greg