1970 Cyclone Cobra Jet Spoiler Ranchero

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by trikar, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Petey

Petey Guest

Clone or not, it's still sexy, ain't it ?
    Hillbilly

2. this thread still has my Fav 'chero of all time... and its not even Factory!

3. If a Ranchero was renamed an Edsel, that's what it'd look like. Sorry, not feelin' it.

4. ray55classic

ray55classic Guest

to even compare the cyclochero to an edsel you need to get your eyes checked. but to each his own.......ray

5. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

well the more I look at it the more I like it... that guy did a great job with the transformation.... I can't wait to see Dan's when its done... how is that coming anyways

6. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

I have bought another frame for it and that is at the metal stripper to remove all the rust. Once that is done it will be off to the body shop next door. They will repair all of the things that need to be done and it will get (both inside and out) epoxy primered. the outside will be painted chassis black. When the frame comes home I will start cleaning/painting then switching all the chassis componets over to the new frame.

7. boss351

boss351 Guest

Have you thought about powder coating the frame????
    I heard it don't cost to much more than paint.

8. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

Its not too bad if you can find a good place... and thats no lie... my boss' hubby had his bug frame and floor pan Powder coated... they did an awesome job and I believe it was just under a grand for both...

9. Dan the ranchero man

I was tossing around the idea of powder coating, but I could not find anyone that could get the inside of the frame done. Plus money is a factor too. I am getting the frame stripped,repaired and painted for just a little more than the cost of powder coating!

10. ray55classic

ray55classic Guest

dan, in order to paint all the insides of the frame wouldn't they have to dip it?,if not how would they go about it? just curious...........ray

11. Tim70ranchero

Tim70ranchero In Overdrive

I bet they use a pipe with a spray head on it. kinda like the wands on the low pressure deck sprayers. thats how I intend on spraying the insides of my quarters, and other hidden areas.

12. Dan the ranchero man

Tim is right they are using a modified undercoating sprayer to get on the inside. The frame should be coming out of the acid bath very soon (today or Sat). Then it will be off to the second step.... repair/Paint!

13. That is one awesome Ranchero!

The price of the hideaways alone would put me in the poor house!

But at 40K I think I'll skip that dream for now...

Basketcase

14. trikar

trikar In Maximum Overdrive

$40,000? Mine was $500 with lots and lots of extra parts. :D
    [​IMG]

15. NHRA1978

NHRA1978 Guest

I had a 1970 Cyclone GT 429scj Super Drag Pack 4-speed ram air Black With a White Interior. We called this car the Ranchclone.

16. BlueOvals

BlueOvals In Maximum Overdrive

I like it! It is a "beauty of a beast", and the workmanship!!! (or as we have to say out here on the left coast to be PC, the "work-person-ship"), but I think a marriage of a 66 or 67 Cyclone to a Ranchero of same years could look nice; subtle, and a lot "leaner" too!! I always thought most cars models after 69-70 started getting "clunky" and "bloated" looking, including this one. JMO.

17. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

powder coating a frame isnt a good idea,,, powder cotaing dosent breath once water builds between the powdercoating an the frame theres no place for it to go an it will rust big time,,, best to etich lock prime the use a good urthane primer then paint it..we,ve tryed the powder coating thing on a few show cars an it dosent hold up to weather good.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2012
  18. Rancherous

Rancherous Administrator Staff Member

Kirk its Powder Coating ;)

19. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'm sure that advice would have been helpful.......4 years and 10 months ago!!!:eek: No, really, it's good today as well. My Dad had some steel deck chairs powdercoated and they did as you said. They rusted away in spots, but you couldn't tell until you sat in them, and they broke. The coating was like an insect exoskeleton.

20. kirksss32

kirksss32 In Overdrive

:p
    got it..