1970 front drum to disc brake swap.

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Moises urbina, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Moises urbina

Moises urbina In First Gear

I recently replaced my old front drum to original power disc brake. I'd like to know if anyone has pictures of their brake booster and lines that go to the proportioning block, I'm not too sure which port goes to which. And what electrical connection goes to the block

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Do you have a dual reservoir master cylinder? If so, the small one is for the rears and the large one is for the fronts. As for the valve, it needs to be an actual proportioning valve, not a distribution block. I'll see what diagrams are in my Motor manual for Ford front disc brakes; if I find anything, I'll need an email addy to send what I find, so I don't have to resize it in order to get it to you.

3. Moises urbina

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have the diagrams in the brake hydraulics section, so if you vive me your email address, I'll get them sent off to you.

5. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Looks to be after market may need a residual pressure valve with it not sure if the master cylinder you have came with one in it

upload_2018-8-29_3-24-2.png

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  6. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I did the same conversion a couple years ago. This is the only pic I took, but could take more if needed.

pv.JPG

7. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Here's how mine is plumbed in, with the manual master. We didn't change it going to power, and the brakes work awesome.
    [​IMG]

Funny I found this picture of the engine, and the brake valve is lit up from sun shining through the garage door.

Freestyle Don likes this.
  8. Moises urbina

me.jpg so the front side port is for the front and the back is for the rear. What is the bottom hole for?

9. TestDummy

One needs to be plugged, I think. There isn't room for the line to clear the shock tower going out the side on 70-71 Torino/Ranchero's. And Ford didn't really make masters for specific vehicles. That one will probably fit LTD, pickups, etc., depending on which port you use.

Moises urbina likes this.
  10. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Nope. The port corresponding to the larger chamber toward the firewall is for the front brakes. The small chamber goes to the rear brakes. Parts house will have a plug for the unused hole.

11. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

This photo shows the bottom port used for brake line and a bleeder type fitting in the side. The booster makes for a tight fit at the shock tower
    and this was Fords work around.

upload_2018-8-29_10-37-44.png

12. TestDummy

A bleeder, that's it!! I didn't read Moises description closely, but thought he was talking about the proportioning valve ports? Regardless, my photo is correct. Thank god, or I'd never hear the end of it.

Kiwirancher likes this.
  13. Moises urbina

20180829_123222.jpg
    Ok thank you all for the help on cylinder and valve connection. My next dilemma is my push rod for my booster is different from the manual that came off the car, multiple part stores keep giving me the same kind. Should I buy the booster bracket that raises the whole unit with it's own linkage that fits, or can the rods be interchanged. Left is the new part, and right is the old correct manual.

14. Moises urbina

FT5772BPR__71783.1446059799.400.500.jpg this is the bracket I'm referring to.

15. Jeff B

Jeff B In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

If you can wait, I have an original bracket stashed somewhere. I'll will post a pic when I can dig it out. The aftermarket brackets might not be exactly the same and it could be I have seen a GM style master used on some.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  16. Basstrix

The rod you're showing in your upper left picture (should be integral to brake booster...side facing firewall) connects to the clevis on the "this is the bracket I'm referring to" on the linkage assy. I don't think you need the old push rod...it connected directly from brake pedal to rear of M/C. The power brake rod that pushes on the M/C is integral to the booster (front side of booster).

The link sticking up in the pic of linkage in post above Jeff's attaches to brake pedal & brake light switch under the dash.

17. TestDummy

Unless you have a straight 6, I don't think a power master will fit without the bracket that raises it up.

18. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

yp need the bracket and possibly a new pedal that is for power brakes some have the hole in a different place for the push rod

19. TestDummy

Same brake pedal for me. Although, I still have a clutch pedal. Maybe a stick setup is different. I'd like a Power Disc Brake pad for the pedal. That'd be cool.

20. Basstrix

I have 2 power brake pedals and 1 non-power, all for automatics....same pedal.

TestDummy likes this.