1970 gauge wire feed harness?

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Moises urbina, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Moises urbina

Moises urbina In First Gear

Does anyone know where I can find the gauge wire harness for the 70? And does that harness connect to the ignition coil to give power or is it just for tachometer? Right now I current just tapped into a hot wire on a main harness and connected it to the coil, but I want to wire it correctly. Thank you.

2. colnago

colnago In Third Gear

First, I do not know where to get the harness. Second, I'm a bit confused by the rest of your post. The wiring to the coil shouldn't have anything to do with the gauges (except the tach). The coil gets power through the ignition switch, or a relay triggered by the ignition switch. There is a separate wire going from the coil to the tach, but the wiring for the engine should be completely separate from the gauges. The engine should run without any gauges hooked up. The gauge lights should be the only thing connected to a hot wire, which should be run from the headlight switch.

Joseph

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If I remember, at that time, the coil and tach were wired such that, if the tach were disconnected or the gauge itself failed, the engine won't run. It's the first thing you check when you have an ignition no-start, up through the '72 MY.

4. handy_andy_cv64

To answer the OP's question, it's a matter of searching for someone parting out a '70-'71 intermediate (Torino/wagon/Ranchero) who has the appropriate wiring harness. Start with www.craigzilla.com to do a nationwide Craigslist search for anyone parting out one of those three intermediates. Then work from there. I can check on Stationwagonforums, see if anyone is doing a Torino part-out.

5. handy_andy_cv64

There were a couple ads, but the newest was 2011. I doubt they are still around, let alone have the car.