1970 Ranchero GT Borgeston Power steering Conversion

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by Marques Johnson, Apr 23, 2018.

1. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

You don't appear to be inside the column boot, and with a floor shifter you can cut the column short enough, so I don't see an issue.

2. Marques Johnson

Marques Johnson In First Gear

You are right. My friend and I just bolted up the cut column it fits with a small adjustment or 2. Shifter tube could not be used. I will get pics when weld is complete.
    We had to remove exactly 2 1/4 inches for perfect column collar bolt alignment.

3. Marques Johnson

Here are pictures of the column pieces after they have been cut 2 1/4 inches and welded . I have to do a few things and then I can mount the column back up and install Saginaw pump.

Attached Files:

LSChero likes this.
  4. ribald1

Lookin good.
    You might consider replacing the bearing in the column while you have it apart. It would suck for it to develop a rough spot a few weeks after you are done.

5. Marques Johnson

I have a tapered bearing at the steering wheel end of the column but not at the top by steering gear, unless the plastic insert is considered a bearing. I did not see one at the top I was wondering if there was supposed to be one? Do you know which bearings I would need?

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  6. ribald1

I generally consider 'up' to be the top, and that would be where the steering wheel is.
    That bearing rarely gets any grease and no one repacks it.

7. Steve B

Steve B In Second Gear

I put a Borgeson in my 66 Fairlane (roller 302-AOD trany-stock 66 floor counsel shift) about 8 years ago. I think I may have been the first to do it on that vintage car and had no real guidance on the shortening of the column, or all the other problems associated with the mod. I see a couple comments about no help from Borg... same problem I had, but we got thru it and its still working well (did put a new pump on it 2 yrs ago). Have pictures of all of it, if anyone needs them.
    I recently bought a 70 Ranchero and have been looking into the Borgeson again.... there's more info out there now, but it's still a chore to accomplish some of the required mods. We'll see... right now to many projects to buck up the $$$ for that mod.

8. Gary Gray

Gary Gray In First Gear

I recently added a Borgeson to my "70" - yes we shortened the outer steering column , not too big of a deal. It works well I also added a CPP hydra boost brake system w a Saginaw power steering pump for added PSI. Costly but well worth it. Car now drives a lot tighter and can stop on a dime.
    Column shift is a bigger problem, I have floor 5 speed.

Steve B likes this.
  9. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Did the same conversion on my 71 2 years ago. I had a floor shifter so no problem but I also wanted a tilt wheel so bought a column from Summit.
    Was a easy install.
    Greg

Steve B likes this.