1972 Front Suspension Kit

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by John Vlieger, Nov 4, 2019.

1. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

"Best suspension component you can get for the 72-79 Ranchero"
    No thanks,Ill stick with ford engineered suspension parts.How many viking shocks have you installed in your resto shop?

andrewok1 and The Wrench like this.
  2. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

Did a 68 Mustang with Full Tilt Street Rods Mustang II front suspension hub to hub with Power rack and upgraded to 12.19" Wilwood big brake kit and the Viking Coil Over shocks.
    I'm getting the Viking Warriors for my ProSteet Ranchero build and yes the Viking are as good as QA1 coil overs.
    You still have stock suspension your just replacing factory style shock and the coil springs so you can adjust ride height and tune the ride with the dual dampening coil over shocks.
    You can do whatever you want it LS Chero but my recommendation was to OP and is a Professional opinion as also have a friend who built race cars for living and often installed Coil-over shocks as they can be tuned where as stock suspension the most you can do is Polyurethane bushings and gas shocks.
    Viking just started making the front coil over kits for 72-76 Gran Torino & Ranchero like 5-6 years but have installed them on race cars at my buddies shop and done the 68 Mustang at one of my shops

3. John Vlieger

John Vlieger In Second Gear

Got the Viking coil over kit, and just got my control arms back from the shop today for bushing removal /install and ball joint removal (they were a pain to remove, so I paid them to do it). Starting on the reinstall tomorrow... And I forgot the exact order the sway bar and bushings go into the lower control arm. Any pics to share of how it's supposed to look?

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Essentially, the bar end and the LCA are sandwiched between the bushings, and then the bushings are covered by washers. Lastly, the two sets of bushings are separated from each other by the steel sleeve. So, bolt points DOWN, and the parts are stacked top to bottom as follows: washer, bushing half, sway bar, bushing half, washer, sleeve, washer, bushing half, lower control arm, bushing half, washer, nut.
    Remember that the bushing halves have shoulders molded into them, and those fit into the bar ends and arm holes.

5. John Vlieger

THANK you. I thought that might be how it goes, but wanted to be sure.

6. handy_andy_cv64

You're welcome, that's why we are all here.

7. Rods N Restos

If you need photos I can take some tomorrow of my 76 Ranchero 500 has the rear swaybar but might can find it on the web.
    Take photos of the Viking Coil-Over shocks.
    I think you'll like them once you get ride height set where you want and dial in the shock settings to your liking

8. Rods N Restos

Photos I got from Google image search tbird_rearsuspension.jpg 072404_211401.jpg images.jpeg 072404_211402.jpg 1972-1979-GRAN-TORINO-Rear-Sway-Bar.jpg 72-73-74-75-Ford-Gran-Torino-Ranchero.jpg

9. handy_andy_cv64

Those pics are from the rear axle; I think he wanted from the front suspension, unless I read his post wrong?

The Wrench likes this.
  10. John Vlieger

Those pics will help, as the rear suspension is next on the upgrade/update list, but yes I was needing pics of the front. The explanation above helped me get it figured out.

Got the ball joints installed and greased last night. Going to try and get the whole front suspension, including the Viking coil over kit, installed this weekend. Then its on to the cab refurb and seat install. After that is rear suspension update with gas-a-just shocks, new air compressor for the bags, and rear bushing replacement.

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  11. Rods N Restos

Oh I have front end link photos too
    Bolt goes up from bottom with washer then bushing
    Then bushing,washer,metal sleeve,washer,bushing,swaybar eyelet,bushing,washer nut Screenshot_20191213-205554_Gallery.jpg

12. handy_andy_cv64

Huh. Mine go from top to bottom. I s'pose they could go either way, but he gets the jist of it.

13. Rods N Restos

I'm just going by how the bolts were put on by factory as the 72 Gran Torino Sport I'm restoring was all factory original except for few paint jobs.
    I think with all the suspension in place it was easier to feed the bolt up from bottom as after you put first washer and bushing on the bolt and feed it up through hole on control arm then just drop bushing ,washer,sleeve,washer,bushing on from top and then poke bolt through swaybar eye then top it off with last bushing , washer and lastly the nut.
    Of coarse it is possible it varies by factory work and assembly plant which way bolt faced

I put the red Energy Suspension Urethane end link bushings on , cleaned and painted the suspension ,brake calipers and rotors,plus repacked the bearings.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  14. handy_andy_cv64

Babe's front was rebuilt, so perhaps the rebuilder did it backward, but why they did is gone as the rebuilder was the guy I got it from, and he passed not long after I got her.

15. John Vlieger

So, got the Viking kit installed. Working on the rest of the front suspension now, and my RH strut rod threads are toast. I've been searching high and low for a new one, but cannot find one ANYWHERE. Any ideas?

16. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

17. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Had that happen on a Mach 1 - had to take the strut off, overweld the threaded are, turn it down to size on a lathe, thread the shaft and then harden it. Worked out but was some work.

18. John Vlieger

This is what the LH/good one looks like. Are these OEM? The Pic above has a hook on the control arm side. If that's what they're supposed to look like I might as well pick up a set and get it back to factory.

Attached Files:

19. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Your picture shows the OEM style and I wouldn't imagine they've been replaced on your car.

Often, a vendor will post a generic picture, not necessarily what you will receive in the mail - and what you get may conform to what you have. It might be worth calling them to see if the "hook" actually exists on their product.

Strut rods are difficult to come by - don't think that was an item replaced very often which would mean the demand was unlikely to cause them to build that many spares. Thinking it is more likely that you will find a used one via a wrecking yard before you find an OE strut. I know I couldn't get one for my Mach 1 when I needed it and had to rebuild it. It lasted for the remaining life of the car but always worried that I might have to refurb it again.

20. John Vlieger

I'll have to give them a call, for sure. Stock photo makes more sense, too. I just can't believe it's so hard to find a strut rod for the Ranchero /Torino family, especially since the suspension components are the same 72-76.