1972 Front suspension problem

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by GRUMANIA, Mar 11, 2019.

1. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Hi there ,
    does anyone know where to get new front suspension springs for my 1972 Chero ? The car is a bit low for daily use ........I would be happy with one or two inches lift.
    Thanks,
    Ilja front suspension.jpg

andrewok1 likes this.
  2. franmosso

franmosso In Fourth Gear

3. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Hi,
    thanks for the info.Meanwhile I looked for spacers to lift the car - but as you say, even these spacers are usable depending on the engine type. I have a Cobra Jet engine, that seems to be the larger one.
    The lists differentiate between
    5.8 351 cui GAS , naturally aspirated
    and
    5.8 351cui GAS , OHV naturally aspirated
    The spacers are not compatible with the "OHV" engine type

Ilja

4. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

By the way, the link you sent is for REAR springs, I will need FRONT springs
    Ilja

5. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

6. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Oh my god, this took me a week to understand........

7. aquartlow

I have seen where Torino/Ranchero owners were happy with Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor(CVPI) spec'ed front coil springs-MOOG #80090. In the link I provided above, you can find and see the pics of the owner's rides that installed these springs and their feedback. FWIW, There are LOTS of options for front coil springs (even those not spec'ed), I actually run shortened '99 Ford Lightning front coils on my '79 to get a higher spring rate-MOOG #80100. Hope this is helpful.

8. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Thank you, I will check this out !
    Ilja

9. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Hi again, in your last post you said : "..............In the link I provided above, you can find and see the pics of the owner's rides that installed these springs and their feedback "
    But the link just shows some springs that do not fit a Ranchero and it does not include the pictures and customer comments. Did you make a mistake with the link ? I need to be sure that the MOOG 80090 are the correct ones, as the additional shipping and customs fees will make the springs pretty expensive if shipped to Germany.
    Thanks a lot for your help !
    Ilja
    PS is there any evidence of somekind of highjackers on the front suspension to adjust/ influence car height ?

10. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

As far as I know, there are no air-assisted shocks for the front. And you would not want those on the front anyway; they would beat up the bottom attachments to the lower control arms.

11. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

I replaced my 1972 Ranchero GT 351 4V (Q) with these many years ago to resolve the exact issue that you indicate and exhibit in your picture in the original post with MOOG 8302. Restored the height to factory specification and it has maintained height very, very well. Rock Auto has them (first link), MOOG Specification/Applicability table (second link). I was happy.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...400cid+v8,1136023,suspension,coil+spring,7512
    https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-8302

12. aquartlow

No mistakes. Not sure why you didn't see or find any pics and/or any feedback, there are PLENTY of pics of different rides with different coil spring installations in "the coil spring thread". Not necessarily meant to say that the link for the coil springs were for Rancheros only, let me be clear, the '72-'76 Torinos uses the very same front end suspension/steering parts as a '72-'76 Ranchero. Just because a coil spring isn't listed to be an exact replacement spring for our mid-70's intermediates(Torino, Ranchero, Elite, Cougar) doesn't mean it won't physically fit and/or be a better choice. Case in point: If you removed a 302/C4 combo and installed a 460/C6 combo, the original springs would have a much lower ride height, to combat this you could install a coil spring spec'ed for a '75 Mark IV Lincoln(MOOG #9012) that came with a 460/C6 combo in stock form and the Lincoln uses a front suspension that very closely matches what is in our intermediates. This coil spring is not spec'ed for an intermediate, but it not only would increase ride height but also would give an increase in spring rate due to the spring using a thicker bar diameter. Also remember, a front coil spring's ride height can be "adjusted" by cutting/trimming the end that locates in the lower control arm. I have actually installed Cadillac spec'ed front springs in my Ranchero without an issue, they had a desired larger bar diameter than my stock front springs. MANY OPTIONS available if you do some homework on coil spring specifications. Hope this helps.

13. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Strange - the link leads me to something different. No MOOG 80090 or MOOG 80100, no pictures or customer comments.
    See screenshot rockauto link.png

14. aquartlow

15. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Asked a dealer on Ebay. He replied, saying that MOOG 80090 WILL NOT FIT !!!
    The correct number would be MOOG 8302
    Ilja

16. aquartlow

OK, buy what you want. I am sure the Ebay seller you spoke with owns, drives and works on a '70's Ford intermediate :rolleyes:. I pasted a link that shows coil spring options for both front and rear applications, that fit our intermediates from folks who actually own, drive and work on them. Carry on.

17. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

I just want to be sure what I order and when a seller says it does not fit my car I´m careful.Remeber - a 150 $ spring set plus 80 Shipping plus customs fees and taxes easily ends up in 300$ when it arrives here. Shipping back something useless is not an option for me.
    Thank you for your help!

18. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Grumania: The pictures below were taken after installation of MOOG 8302 as I mentioned in post #11 above. And now I am out of this thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. aquartlow

Sorry if my previous reply was harsh, you didn't deserve it and I apologize. I totally understand your situation as well as the gravity of ordering something that will not fit, including the monetary penalties involved. As Dan(72 GTVA) suggested above, the MOOG #8302 should be a good direct replacement coil spring for you and your Ranchero if a "stock" coil spring is desired.

I suggested the Moog #80090 due to it's I.D. @ 4.04" and it's increased spring rate @ 710lbs per inch and it's installed ride height of 11.75", this coil spring is said to elevate the "floaty" feeling that the stock coil springs and their direct replacements exhibit. Those who have installed them and use them are happy with their decision, as found in the link I pasted.

Just to show I wasn't trying to steer you in a wrong direction, here is a comparison between the two coil springs:

MOOG #8302 coil springs ends are A) Squared and B) Tangential, it has an I.D. of 4.04"a spring rate of 318 and an installed height of 12" with a bar diameter of .67"

MOOG #80090 coil spring ends are A) Squared and B) Tangential, it has an I.D. of 4.04" (sounds familiar doesn't it). a spring rate of 710 lbs, an installed height of 11.75" and a bar diameter of .78"

I will leave it at that. Sorry for the long reply.

20. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

HuevosRanchero and andrewok1 like this.