1972 Ranchero fuel tank question

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by GRUMANIA, Jun 18, 2019.

1. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Hello,
    Due to rust problems, im in need for a 1972 fuel tank.
    I could get one from a 1973 model, but the seller said that it will not fit in my ride. The photo comparison does not show extreme differences. Does anyone know about differences and why it doesn't fit in a 72 Chero ?
    Thanks,
    Ilja

2. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

Is your current tank still solid? Maybe you can use a tank liner like POR-15 or Kreme. I've never used either, but riders in my motorcycle group really liked POR-15.

Joseph

3. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

The tank has rust inside but looks good so far.Its just a mess to open and clean the the fuel every 100 miles.It is full with rust particles ( I bought the car from someone who stocked it for six years )

4. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

What is por 15 ?

5. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

It's actually a company (www.por15.com), but one of their products is a gas-tank sealer. Basically, you're painting the interior of your gas tank. You pour it in, roll the tank around to make sure it's all covered, and let it sit and dry. The POR-15 is supposed to be really good and solid, and lasts forever. I've been told the Kreme is good, been around forever, but it separates from the tank after a few years. If you use the POR-15, you have to be careful about any holes you want to keep (for fuel lines, etc), because once it dries, it's dry! Probably not a problem on our gas tanks, but my motorcycle group was always careful to make sure the line feeding out was clear.

You might also get away with just rinsing the tank out with a rust remover. I use some green "etch and prep" stuff I get from Home Depot on any rusty steel I have. It runs around $17/gallon. I don't know what you would have available in Germany, though.

Joseph

On edit, can you get petroleum jelly? If so, it's supposed to have muriatic acid, and that is supposed to attack rust. Again, some of my motorcycle buddies would dump some petroleum jelly and water in their gas tanks, and swirl it around for awhile. YMMV.

ForistellFord likes this.
  6. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Is the 73 tank from a Ranchero/wagon or a Torino?

7. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Its definitely from a Ranchero

8. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

I have 72 and 73.I see no difference between the fuel tanks and believe the will interchange.Maybe worth the money to seal your old tank if it isnt to far gone.I have read that the specta repop tank will fit as well.

9. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Someone told me that the SPECTRA F4C fuel tank ( normally for 74`onwards ) would fit in the 72 with slight mods to the mounting straps, but it will require a 1974 fuel sending unit.Does anyone know if the fuel sending unit for a 74` Chero will work together properly with the 72 instrument in the dash ?

10. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Yes, the '74 up fuel sending unit does work with the 72 fuel gauge. You should expect that you will need a few more parts then just the tank and sending unit as the fuel tank vent on the '72 changed to a vent/roll over valve in '74, and once you disturb the filler neck seal and the 'o' ring for the sending unit they should be replaced. A plus for me with the conversion from '72 to the '74 and later year tank was the increase of 4 gallons of fuel - added extra range between fill-ups which was a benefit to me.

In summary: To convert to a 1974 - 1979 tank you need the tank, a new sending unit with o-ring seal and locking ring, the rollover valve/vent and the o-ring that it seats in and seals, the filler neck rubber o-ring seal, and you might choose to replace the overflow hose adjacent to the filler neck. I also replaced the carriage bolts with same diameter and slightly longer bolts in stainless steel and Nyloc Nuts. Changeover took about two hours taking it easy and sipping on my coffee when the mood struck.

Parts available here and other fine vendors:

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/fuel-tank-26-gallon-ranchero-1974-1979.html

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/fuel-sending-unit-ranchero-and-torino-1974-1979.html

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/fuel-sending-unit-locking-ring-ford-and-mercury-1960-1979.html

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/fuel-sender-ring-gasket-ford-and-mercury-1960-1979.html

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/vent-valve-seal-fuel-tank-rubber-torino-ranchero-1972-1979.html (this link has a link at the bottom that allows you to buy the vent valve, vent valve seal, and filler pipe seal in one click).

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/72-79-ranchero-torino-fuel-filler-seal.html

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/fuel-tank-vent-valve-ranchero-torino-1972-1979.html

Other vendors such as Rock Auto and MACS have these same parts.

HuevosRanchero and Basstrix like this.
  11. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER SILVER MEMBER

12. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Wow, I am impressed - Thats really good information.Thank you very much !
    Another question - on my car, the original owner converted it to a filler cap in the loading area.The original hole in the fender is closed and you can still see traces of this mod under the paint. Can this complicate the conversion to the new tank ?
    Thank you again
    Ilja

13. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

If he didn't modify the tank during the conversion of the fill I would imagine it will still work. I'd have to see at the tank if you are in for some adventures. I would expect that it might complicate it to some extent. Is there any chance you can take a couple of pictures to show us the tank and filler pipe from under the car?

andrewok1 likes this.
  14. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Third Gear

Hopefully I will have access to an auto lift soon.Better I make the pictures and show them to you before I order the tank parts.
    Thanks again for the great help !
    Ilja

andrewok1 likes this.
  15. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

If there was a body modification outside, there might be a body modification on the "inside," that is, the opposite side of the quarter panel, next to the tank. Removing the left tail light should give you access to both sides of the quarter panel area, see if the original structure is still there on both sides.