1972 Ranchero wipers not working

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by GRUMANIA, Jun 4, 2019.

1. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Hi there,
    the wipers on my 72`Ranchero are not working. As the original wiper motor didn`t run I bought a replacement from ebay but it still did not run.Then I bought a second one - still not working. The two "new" wiper motors seem to be OK, so next thought was the wiper switch.I opened it and checked everything, finding out that it is OK. The switch has been modified with screws by me to open and close it in seconds for later inspections.

The 1972 car shop manuals show different types of switches and motors and in my case ( Intermittend, consealed wipers ) there should be a governor between the switch and the harness. But what I find on my car is a switch thats plugged directly on the harness.
    I assume that the governor normally should be placed very close to the switch - but there is none. So there are some questions now:
    - is there a governor at all on a 72 Rancheros with intermittend wipers ?
    - If yes, where is it located ?
    - where can I find pictures ?
    - is it possible to substitute the original ( missing) governor against a "modern" one ( 1980 ies ) ?
    - what type will fit ? I HAVE A PIN TYPE SWITCH - NOT THE BLADE TYPE !
    Has anyone had the same problem and found a solution ?
    This problem is driving me crazy as driving in the rain is impossible........
    Any help would be much appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Ilja wiper switch.jpg

2. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

how many times does your wiper switch click 2 or more, the governor is for intermitted wiper delay and switch clicks and then turns freely this sets the delay

3. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, the non-intermittent won't have a governor module, and the switch can only be turned to the right to turn it on low (one click) or high (two clicks). If you have intermittent wipers, the switch is different, to control the time delay with the governor. So if you turn it right, you get the normal low and high. But turn it to the left, it activates the governor, and you can set a long time delay (turned all the way left) or adjust it to have a shorter delay.

andrewok1 likes this.
  4. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Yes, I know.I have the intermittend switch - definitely
    What makes me wonder is the fact that the switch is connected to a female plug as shown in the first picture above.This plug is on a harness that disappears somewhere under the dash - near the steering column.When I take away the instrument panel, I can not see any governor. harness position.jpg

5. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

When I look in the shop manuals, there is a picture, showing the govenor.Due to the relatively short leads, it can not be far from the switch - but where ??? govenor.jpg

6. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Intermittent switch will not work with out the governor but it will plug into the harness. If the governor was there you would see it. You have 2 choices find a intermittent set up or find a std switch

7. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Finding such a part will be a real challenge
    If I lived in the US, I could ask at the junkyards but here in Germany..................

8. handy_andy_cv64

The governor is under the cluster, directly behind the switch. On my '74 Squire, I upgraded to the intermittent wipers, and as I recall, I had to remove the cluster to put the module in place.

9. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

you lucky one, hahahaah

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

let me see what I have

11. handy_andy_cv64

Not so lucky...this is the second thread this morning to remind me that I sold my '74, when I should've kept it. Funny thing, I was a member on here, a loooong time ago, when I first began going on the Internet. Then, after I sold it, I stopped attending. Soon as I got Babe, I came back, but for the life of me, I just could not remember my username....

12. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

OK, thats what I found out from the pre owner of the car:
    The wipers never worked so he bought the 3 position switch that I have now ( intermittend, pin type ) in the car. There is no governor at all and - as I learned now- it will not function without it.
    If I bought a two position switch ( without intermittend function ) , will it work without a governor ? Or is a governor needed, no matter what switch I use ?
    Ilja

13. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

The 2 position switch does not need a governor to work correctly.

14. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Well, that might make things easier, but it has to be a switch that can be connected to the same plug ( as shown in my first post ).
    Will look on the internet if there is such a part available.
    Thank you !

15. GRUMANIA

GRUMANIA In Second Gear

Just found this on ebay but the blade type connectors will not fit on my car, I think the blade type ones have only 7 ports, while the pin connectors in my car have 10
    ??? auction1.png

16. handy_andy_cv64

The blade type are from '80s decade pickups (like my dad's F150). It can be adapted, but you'll need to decide if you want to splice this into your harness. The wire color codes should be the same between them, and there might be a little bit of fitting the switch into the hole in the dash.

17. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Andy, at one time I had plenty intermittent setups from T-Bird, Cougar, Torino Elites, etc. that I used on 73 thru 79 Ford pickups. The switches fit trucks, Econolines, and intermediate size cars with no modifications. Just have to match pin or blade connectors.

18. 62restomod

62restomod In Second Gear

That is why anytime I have a need for a username and password it is written down in a spiral essay book . No memory needed ( just have to remember to write it down) that's the hard part

19. handy_andy_cv64

Yeah, but back then, I lived 70 miles from where my internet access was, my brother and sister-in-law's, and at that time, it never occurred to me to write it down. I likely would still have lost it in the interceding time between that profile and my current one.