1973 ignition switch

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by 1973GT, Sep 28, 2020.

1. 1973GT

1973GT In Second Gear

Part number D20B11572-AIB

Spring is locked and no can move !!
    Help, input, advice? I can't have the only Chero that's had this problem!
    Mac's,Ecklers, O'rileys, Autozone, Greensales, Ebay all useless!

Attached Files:

2. thebruins

thebruins In Third Gear

Looks like Rockauto.com has one although the image is not the rectangular switch, but the part number matches with the one you posted.

3. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

use Ford's motorcraft number " SW 1079 " Also fits Mustang II, Granada, and Pinto up to 76

4. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yes, the D2OB-A1B is all intermediates '72-'79, and having the SW 1079 is good to have.

5. Rods N Restos

Rods N Restos In Fourth Gear

Autokrafters use to sell the SW1079 but that was about 10 years ago from the thread I found on the Gran Torino Sport Forum,they probably had a limited supply of New Old Stock.
    What the suppliers like Rock Auto are trying to say is for our vehicles is a aftermarket version of a 71-73 Mustang ignition switch as it has a pigtail and 1 female plug at the end and had a metal rod sticking out which is completely wrong for the Intermediate Ford's.
    The ignition switch has 2 plugs that come off the main dash wiring harness and they both plug into the ignition switch in the photos.
    There is a groove in the bottom of switch housing in the middle,there is a hole in black plastic slider that the end of rod that connects to from the key cylinder on column as end of rod is bent like an L shape so that fits in bottom of the ignition switch slider

When your turn the key the slider moves to activate the different connectors which supplies power to coil,starter relay,power to accessories,etc.
    The ignition switch has to look exactly like the switch in his photos and it has 11 contacts for the 2 plugs to connect to the wires.
    We have been discussing this switch for days on my Torino,Gran Torino,Ranchero,Montego Club Facebook group,my name is Jeff M.
    I am the Head Admin.
    From research I have done it doesn't seem as aftermarket is making this switch anymore and you have to either find a good used ignition switch or a New Old Stock switch which can be either Ford,Motorcraft or another brand that supplied this type of ignition switch back in the day but it seems the aftermarket companies today have not made this switch in years

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  6. Rods N Restos

I know that at least you can find the Switch on
    72-76 Gran Torino, Ranchero or Mercury Monetgo
    74-76 Ford Elite
    Possibly the 77-79 Ranchero,Ford LTD II,Thunderbird or Mecury Cougar but I can't confirm as I have not looked at those ignition switches but somebody has to have a parts vehicle that they can take the switch out of and sell to you.
    Maybe even can get one off a vehicle in junkyard.
    There is a search engine
    www.car-part.com that will search junkyards across the United States.
    If they don't list the part usually there is a place to message and write in the part your looking for.
    If a junkyard has a parts car the may be able to help but posting here ,Facebook groups and other forums,eventually you should be able to locate a usable ignition switch.
    Good Luck

7. handy_andy_cv64

Babe's ignition switch I bought was a direct replacement for the D2OB-A1B switch, IIRC, but I don't recall intermediates having two plugs. My '74 Squire didn't have two plugs.

8. 1973GT

1973GT In Second Gear

Thanks for all the info
    Gonna have to hit the graveyards
    Just dosn't make sense that its not a shelf item.

9. handy_andy_cv64

Too many cars are now gone. Google 'obsolete Ford parts' and hit up the few places that have new and used obsolete parts. Incidentally, both of the ignition switches I bought for Babe over the 17 years I've owned her, have both come from Autozone, but had to be ordered both times, and of course, both were aftermarket. So I'm sure they still have a steady supply, it's just not stocked in-store.

10. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

The 77-79 switch is different according to Ford Master Parts so you will have to use the D2OZ-11572-B /SW1079 part. D7OZ part uses one big plug.

11. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Found out difference when swapping 79 column in 72.My 73 (built 11/72) has same one off switch.Maybe change out plug and use later ignition switch if you cant find replacement.
    [​IMG]

12. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Checked NAPA and came up with no longer in stock even in the warehouses. It's like finding stuff for my 90's Lincolns = OBSOLETE !

13. Rods N Restos

Andy,they no longer are making the 72-76 ignition switch so most Auto Parts suppliers don't have them,even in a warehouse.
    This is not a Chevy Chevelle or Mopar where there are still hundreds or thousand of them still being driven or restored.
    The 72-76 Ranchero & Gran Torinos are a fraction of these other vehicles from other American Car Manufacturers and why there isn't a big aftermarket support for parts used on these cars.
    The tooling to make the components for this switch has been disposed of by now and why no company wants to make them as the cost to make the tooling to create the switch cost more then the return as many of these switches are still good in the vehicle and not often needed so no company will spend the money to manufacture them again.
    Although they were used on other 72-76 Ford ,Lincoln & Mercury Midsized and Fullsized cars the amount of cars still on the road is a fraction of what would be needed in Sales to justify the expense to manufacture this switch as the return is a definite loss so no aftermarket company will bother now that these vehicles are 44-49 yrs old

14. Rods N Restos

We have been pleading for years for companies to make aftermarket replacement sheet metal panels and there is very few components available for us to restore these vehicles and alot of the parts cars are rusted out junk too.
    AMD is the only current metal panels being developed and they started with the 66-67 Fairlane then since moved to the 68-69 & the 70-71 Torino/Fairlane but they are only making full quarters for the fastback models and formal roof gets zilch unless it's a part used on both models.
    No Ranchero specific sheet metal is being made by AMD and right now the 72-76 Gran Torino is last on their list to produce sheet metal for.
    The harder it is to get good parts the less people will attempt to restore these vehicles which reflects back on whether an aftermarket company will get involved with making new parts.
    I know of a few people who have had NOS sheet metal parts that contacted companies to copy and produce the part and the companies rejected taking the NOS part to manufacture new part as they still have to invest in making the tooling to make said part.
    Even 100 requests for same part won't peak their interest as the return is low and more people who need it now will find an alternative so the next year(s) they will no longer need it and either moved on in their Restoration or if good used was impossible for them to find or afford they abandon the Restoration and sell it or part it out that is why it is crucial for us to have places like this forum and Facebook groups to be able to network and find good parts as the Aftermarket Support on these vehicles is very Limited

15. Rods N Restos

I have looked on Rock Auto from 1972-1976 Ranchero,Gran Torino & Torino and none of the switches are correct not even the part number matches.
    D0 is 1970 part #
    D1 is 1971 part #
    D2 is 1972 part # and none of the switches have D2 number and photos are of the switch they are selling but don't fit
    D20B11572-A1B is what we are looking for but the first letter and number is crucial to be exact as that is the part production year so parts with earlier year with same sequence number will be different as parts can change from the different model year.
    Rock Auto sells NO switches that will work for 72 -76 Ranchero,Torino or Gran Torino as I searched all years and those 3 models and under several different engine sizes and some years or model didn't even have Ignition Starter Switch listed and only had the Starter Relay that mounts to inner fender where the positive battery cable connects.

eBay or Another member of Forum,Facebook groups or even Obsolete Ford Parts sellers is your best chance at finding a good used or NOS ignition switch for 72-76

Attached Files:

16. 1973GT

1973GT In Second Gear

Thanks for all your help. Found the 3 on rearcounter, one for 345.00 and 2 at 45.00 used but working order at Lincolnland in Florida. I purchased one of them with 10.00 shipping to Kansas.
    Thanks again for all the info.

17. Rods N Restos

Cool I was the one who posted the info about Lincoln Land in Florida, glad they were able to help at a fair price

18. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER