1977-79 Ranchero/LTDII Front Wheel Well Repair

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by NHERIC, Feb 24, 2019.

1. NHERIC

NHERIC In First Gear

Hello to the group as I'm new...My father has his Dad's vintage 1966 driver that is a peach. I came across a 77 last Summer that I am into with both feet. With the motor out I need to address the defunct battery area and both wheel wells. They are not stupid Swiss cheese, but the right needs help so the battery doesn't bounce off the tire. I would love to hear anyone's experience on 302 rebuild, ATK crate complete...351W Crate etc.
    It has a C5 auto which doesn't leak and works fine, but should be replaced with a C6. I'm open to the forum.
    Thank you

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Why a C6, unless you intend to race or tow? My Babe has a 351W/C4 from a '79 Grand Marq (Panther platform), and has no problems moving her along, even with the 2.47 highway ratio in the rear. That C5 obviously came from a newer '80s car, and may not have the torque capacity needed for a 302/351W. The C6 is grweat if you do tow or race, but as far as weight, if you just intend on driving it, get a C4.

3. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

i could have got a crate 351W for what i paid to rebuild my 351C. its got a4R70W transmission sometimes i think 1st is a bit too low and maybe i should have used a AODE . 3.55 back end

4. handy_andy_cv64

I think the 4R70W was the AODE. If you used a truck trans, it would work with that 3.55; the Panther trans had different valve calibrations from the truck.

5. NHERIC

NHERIC In First Gear

My guess is this forum could put me straight and narrow.
    First off at 91 or could be 191K I had a great Summer cruising for close to 3000 miles smogging for moskitoes and dropping oil freely, but it's time to rebuild.
    Everything is original regards the drivetrain so C3 and normal gear ratio for the 500 will be in order.
    I would to hear the stories and paths everyone has taken.
    My big ask with the motor out is what options I have to rebuild the front wheel wells and battery platform.
    The new ATK 240-250HP motor is complete with a 2 year warranty or I rebuild through Sanel's in Concord for 295HP for the same approximate $$$.
    Maintain the original motor or ..........

6. handy_andy_cv64

If you expect those numbers, and all you have's the factory dress, you won't make all that power, so stick with the ATK. But, if you have induction and exhaust that could make those numbers, go for the rebuild.

7. uk ranchero

uk ranchero In Second Gear

ford renamed the AODE when they lowered 1st and 2nd gear ratio. mines ex mustang

pmrphil likes this.
  8. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Third Gear

I am also in a similar quandary. I have a top end rebuilt 351W that makes decent HP and 3:73 gears in the rear on 235/70R15's with a stock FMX. I can lite the rear from a standing start for about 75' but at normal highway speeds I'm in the 2500RPM range which is a bit much for my tastes, that said it will git from 60 to 80 in a heartbeat and about 120 is as fast as I've run it (closed course, professional driver, wink, wink, nudge, nudge). My end goal is a touring car that if I decide to go to Indiana or Colorado I can do it w/o earplugs, Advil and a fuel truck., that said the occasional burn out is desired should the situation arise. My grand intention is a 408 stroker w/ a T-5 (or 56) but that is several $K 'Chero bux which is not in the budget yet. So in the interim I am thinking about stuffing 285/70R15's in the rear wheel wells to move the gearing into a more highway friendly zone and it will look a whole lot more like the hot rod I want.

As to your question about front ends while the motor is out, you essentially have two choices, rebuild everything with better than stock parts, clean up the bay and smooth the firewall if you are inclined. The other option is to drop in a Mustang II front end conversion which seems to be the hot ticket for most custom front end's. All that begs the question, why a 302 NA ........ since you are pulling the motor and trans why not swap to a 351W crate motor or a 5.0 fuelie from pick a wrecked Mustang?

Cheers,

Doc