1977 GT - value?

Discussion in 'Rancheros For Sale' started by SpyderMike, Jun 30, 2010.

1. SpyderMike

SpyderMike In First Gear

My Brother in Law has a 1977 Ranchero GT that he wants to sell. He asked me to help him do that. It is from a one owner family (his wife's). It has 42,803 miles. It appears to be all original stock. The only addition I see is a CB radio mic holder. It has original paint and decals. What woudl eb the value of this vehicle and what would be the best way to sell it in your opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Attached Files:

2. SpyderMike

SpyderMike In First Gear

a few more pictures. We thought it might appeal more to an enthusiast, that is why we are asking on this site.

Attached Files:

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Based on the pictures and what you have written I'd venture an opinion that it is worth more to the right buyer than you will probably get. These cars, while often valued highly by those of us the enjoy them, typically don't draw the attention they deserve due to the niche market. My gut tells me a fair price would be in the $10,000 - $12,000 range (accepting that the 42K miles is accurate and no roll over). I also think you will be lucky to break $7,000 selling it. Probably the best you can hope for is to write it up accurately and strongly for an ebay auction and see what the visibility of a potentially national audience gives you. That is a nice specimen and looks well cared for, wish I could afford to make you a fair and honest offer.

4. SpyderMike

SpyderMike In First Gear

Thank you for your opinion 72GTVA. Deep down I was hoping for something other than eBay as a solution, but I guess that is always an option.

So there are no other internet sites for enthusiasts that appreciate these Rancheros or this era of car?

5. CJ Guy

CJ Guy In Maximum Overdrive

I agree, looking at it, maybe 7-10k, if it is what it is, market it...find the right buyer...

Nice looking example...

6. 72GTVA

Craigslist and Hemmings Motor News are a couple of others and there may be some others folks here know about. Also some auction houses will deal with classics for a fee. I'm not familiar with any of those specifically but have seen a few mentioned in various media. You can list it here also, you never know when or how the "right" buyer will find you. Be patient, detail the car carefully, and if you feel that an offer is just too low wait for a better offer. Suspect it will come down to how anxious folks are to sell it and what they will finally accept.

There was '79 GT that had been purchased new by a gentleman that had put a little over 200 miles on it, had all kinds of spare maintenance parts, and he passed away. His widow put the car away and it sat until a year or two ago in a garage. Still with the ~200ish miles on it. That one was sold for about $14,000 IIRC. Your car is about the next nicest unrestored/unmolested specimen that has shown up in quite a while.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2010
  7. Giska1

Giska1 In Maximum Overdrive

Put it on Epay and be open for international buyers, that car can be sold for the amount 72GTVA sayes 7-10', the north europeen marked likes these cars.
    Do mention the rally gauges and that it is a true GT 351, in Norway we are very found of the Cleveland so don't mension that it is a Windsor engine :D
    I think it would make a good price, just have to find at least 2 buyer's to compete for it :cool:

8. SpyderMike

SpyderMike In First Gear

Thanks for you thoughts on this everyone!

We are still working on defining the best way to get this to the right buyer and we are very appreciative of your input.

Are there any special characteristics/options/equipment of this year Ranchero that should be identified to see if they are there in this car that might add value to an enthusiast (example - rally gauges and true GT w/351 from Giska1 above)?

9. 72GTVA

That car looks to be loaded - that is to write that it had most all the options available that were offered in the 1977 model year. The GT package, cruise, A/C and what appears to be a Bench Seat with the center armrest are quite complete. About the only option that could have been substituted on the visible amenities would be either the electric split bench option or the bucket seats/console option. Those would be a wash in my opinion. The rest of the options package could include a trailer towing package which besides the hitch offers an expanded cooling system package and transmission cooler package over the stock. A final one that isn't visible and I don't even know if offered after '74 was a competition suspension.

You could do a little research and order a Ford 999 report (free from Ford Customer Service or Relations) that would have the build data on the car - this is essentially duplicate information to your data plate information spelled out in words. Or you could order a Marti report from Marti Auto Works that, depending on the level of the report that you purchase, would provide additional details to include an itemized listing of all the options included on the car, how many cars from that DSO that had those options or paint colors, etc., in comparison to the total number of Rancheros built in 1977. Don't know that either of those reports would add much to your sales effort but they are tools available that could potentially help you get top dollar.

Your truck is a very good specimen - I truly would like to be in a position that I could buy it. Good luck!!!

10. SpyderMike

SpyderMike In First Gear

11. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

Out of curiosity I checked the value of my 77 with NADA. The only option they asked for was engine. I reckon I have a "plain Jane" 77. As an everyday driver they only showed a low price of a little over 5K with a high 0f 10,400. After that it had to be museum quality and that went to over 14K. Still trying to figure out KBB. They price the classics but the web site keeps taking me to sellers and buyers.

12. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

You may find that a 7 day posting may be too short an amount of time to allow interest to develop in the vehicle.

13. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

NADA prices are way overstated! It is useless for a true market price!

14. jcleavdog

jcleavdog In Second Gear

It will be hard to get any bids on ebay when you have never sold or bought anything on ebay. Peaple are very scared of buying large priced items off a first timer. Good luck though.

15. SpyderMike

SpyderMike In First Gear

I personally have bought and sold on Ebay before. The account was set up by another family member who created an account for this (don't ask me why).

We will see what interest there is...if we need to we will learn and adjust and try again. Thanks for your comments and opinions. I appreciate it. Keep them coming!

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2010
  16. hawk

hawk In Fourth Gear

Wasn't sure about them because they didn't do options or mileage. I was jus6t checking out of curiosity. She ain't going anywhere til I die. I'm driving her inti retirement. Like anything else tho she only has a value if you have a serious buyer.

17. SpyderMike

SpyderMike In First Gear

Got the VIN and build sticker decoded:

7= 1977 Model year code

A= Atlanta assembly plant code

48= GT Ranchero series code

H= 8cyl 351 2/B engine code

11,674= Sequential number of production

3U= Light blue exterior color code

56= Davenport DSO

97R= GT Ranchero body type code

LB= Blue vinyl and blue cloth trim scheme code

18L= November 18th production date code

1= 2.5 non-locking axle code

X= Cruise-O-Matic (FMX) transmission code

A= Ford factory installed (integral) air A/C

18. SpyderMike

SpyderMike In First Gear

Still for sale - Ebay closed with one bidder too low. We will place it on CraigList and Ebay again...looking for anyone interested!

Thanks,
    Mike

19. SpyderMike

SpyderMike In First Gear

Bumping this one - still for sale on Ebay and Craigslist - looking for $6500.

20. SpyderMike

SpyderMike In First Gear

well, we can close this one out - this car has been sold to a nice gentleman from North Carolina for $6500 through ebay. Thanks folks for your hospitality - it was nice chatting with you.

Mike