1977 wiper switch

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Curtis, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

I know I have seen on here articles about swapping the 2 speed wiper switches for a intermittent switch. I have a switch from my dads old 1977 F150. It is an intermittent wiper switch, I have the wiring harness and the plugs with it. Will this work on a 1977 Ranchero?

2. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

IIRC, the F150 uses a wiper switch with blade terminals, whereas your Ranchero uses a wiper switch with pin terminals. Will not be a direct swap

3. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Since you have the harness and switch I suppose it could be doable, (as long as it is a 2 speed motor )
    I would suggest getting both wiring diagrams

4. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Ok, here's another something to think about. While prowling the scrap yards here hunting intermittent switches to go in my 73 and 79 F series trucks I discovered that both blade and pin connectors were used in 76, 77, and 78 Mercury Cougars. No rhyme or reason but both types were used. You just have to look at each car to see what it had. Same thing in F-series trucks and Econolines, luck of the draw.

5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

And there's nothing that says you can't splice the wires by soldering.

6. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

Alright thanks for the info. I have the whole wiring harness. I cut the plug out of the old truck and brought it with me. I thought if it would work then I could splice it into my existing harness. I don't plan to cut anything on the Ranchero I just plan on soldering or using wire tap connectors, just in case it doesn't work for some reason. I will look at the 77 F150 and see if the switch is a two speed or not. The bad thing about the switch from the F150 is, it doesn't seem to be a Motorcraft switch. I don't see any numbers on it so I am assuming it has been replaced somewhere in the past with an aftermarket switch.

7. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

Curtis you are planning on using the wiper governor too (black box wiper switch was plugged into) correct?

8. aquartlow

aquartlow In Maximum Overdrive

Good to know, in all the intermediates I have scoured through over the years I have never found a "bladed" wiper switch in them. Ford and them "engineers", can't ever say always or never when discussing what came or was factory installed in their intermediates(or anything else for that matter). Thank you Hillbilly

9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Yeah, I was resigned to having to cut the connector out of a harness until I lucked up and found three bladed setups in some Cougars in a friend's dad's junkyard. SCORE ! You couldn't wipe the grin off my mug as I then had two trucks with intermittent wipers and a spare to boot. Sucks because all that era cars are gone now in my area.

10. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

Yeah, I plan on using the whole thing. If its possible.

11. 65restomod

65restomod In Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

You are better off soldering wires and use heat shrink (don't forget to add the heat shrink on the wire before soldering)

plumcolr, Curtis and The Wrench like this.
  12. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

I have yet to try and put the switch in. Just don't have that much time to get anything done when you work a rotating shift job. But I digress... What I was wondering is if anyone knows where I can get a wiring diagram or does anyone have a wiring diagram for my '77 and the '77 F150?

13. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

The Continental Mark V uses the same wiper switch as the Ranchero. It's a little more involved getting out because of the ductwork around it.

14. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

Thanks I will look and see if any junkyards around have those models. But I bet it would be as hard as finding a Ranchero around here.

15. 5.0 Chero

Switch is functionally the same but the shaft is longer a by about 1/2 inch if I remember correctly so the knob will hang way out from the dash,

16. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

A hacksaw and file will take care of that after the old one is out to match the proper length. A lot less work than playing around with F series truck wires. We Ford owners have to be creative. necessity in todays tool box, duct tape and zip ties.

17. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

Now I have another possibility to be on the look out for. Thanks for the info guys!

18. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

19. 5.0 Chero

If yo want to use a Lincoln wiper switch I have a delay set up with a Lincoln switch I will let go for $85 shipped

20. Curtis

Curtis In Second Gear

I will let you know.