1978 Mad Max build: Beast of Burden

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by paul289, Jun 28, 2016.

1. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

I just picked up a '78 with a 351W, with the intention of doing some serious work on it. The full plan is to make something that can bomb down logging roads and through the desert and be able to do so for a week. It'll get a 30 gallon drum in the bed for a fuel tank, tube bumpers with skid plates, a mild lift, some custom suspension, a cage over the bed, and eventually a turbocharged 460.

For now, I'm just trying to get it running and driving. The fuel system is hosed, so the drum fuel tank will be the second modification. I've already done the first, which is some 15" Cragar D-windows that I had been using on my Mustang. Then it's getting a dual exhaust with Cherry Bombs and shorty headers. The roof needs to be totally replaced. The vinyl top and sunroof made Swiss cheese out of it. Good news is that the engine runs and the FMX works! Just not with the key. Gotta replace the ignition switch, I think. And the fuse block is all corroded. Gonna take some work, but it's gonna be seriously fun!
    20160619_195148.jpg
    16 - 1.jpg

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  2. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

Nothing too special in the engine bay, though it does have AC! I need to get the HVAC controls freed up to test it out, though. And it's probably empty.
    13503046_822405965229_295386986898618508_o.jpg

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

Well if you modify the front clip save and Ebay the parking lamps easy $100 a side for good ones
    The Pyl is a mild custom so I say mod the HELL out of it

4. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

Thanks for the tip! I have some auxiliary lights that I could use in place of the parking lamps. And yeah, I intentionally chose a total pile so that I wouldn't feel bad about chopping into it. So, if anyone wants the bumpers, let me know!

5. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

FYI, 2 20 gallon fuel cells fit between the frame rails where the existing gas tank is. You can have 40 gallons without taking up bed space.
    Keep us posted!

6. Jimbob

Jimbob SITE SUPPORTER- SILVER GOLD MEMBER

Sounds a fun project! An Aussie style off road ute would be a cool thing...

[​IMG]

7. Jimbob

If you are installing a fuel cell, how much do you want for the original fuel filler cap in the pic there? I managed to leave mine sitting on top of a gas pump!

8. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

Fuel cells cost money, though. And bed space isn't a huge concern. It's pretty much all getting filled up with equipment and supplies, from auto fluids and drinking water to tools and spare tires. Besides, I'm not a huge fan of having the fuel tank hanging out back there exposed, just waiting to be punctured by a rock or tree branch.

$20 sound good? It's got some rust residue on it, but I'm sure it's fine otherwise.

9. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

Today, I'll replace the fuel pump and blow out the lines. Hopefully that'll get it running well. Still waiting on the master cylinder and ignition switch. But the terminals in the fuse block are all rusted out. Anyone have a source for replacement terminals?

10. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

11. parts4me

parts4me In Maximum Overdrive

I will be watching this with intent. I can't wait to see any progress!

12. Jimbob

Cool, sounds do-able, ill drop you a PM

13. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

Thanks!

Got it running last night! Replaced the fuel pump and ignition switch, and it now starts up without life support! Next, I just need to get the master cylinder replaced, and put the dash back together, and it'll (most likely) be road worthy!
    [​IMG]
    I'll have to scour a junkyard for some bigger, knobby tires to put on there.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  14. GhostRyder

GhostRyder In Second Gear SILVER MEMBER

Cool, looks similar to mine! Might I suggest ripping that top of and cleaning it up since it looks like its worn out to avoid any further degradation to the roof. Lots of cars get alot damage from just that and you can just sand and primer it for the time being (I know functionality if more of a concern but it would be good to avoid the roof completely rotting out).

Hows the rear bumper? Is it beat up or good and if its fine how much?

15. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

Yeah, the top is coming off, and I'll coat the rust with rust converter and primer it to keep it from getting worse, then maybe tape over the holes to keep water out.

The rear bumper appears straight, with some patina, but rechroming it should take care of everything.

16. GhostRyder

Would you sell it?

17. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

Once I make the new one, sure. I'm thinking $50 plus shipping.

18. GhostRyder

Ok, let me know and if you can post a picture of it I am VERY interested in it.

19. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

Replaced the master and wheel cylinders, so now the brakes work! I was able to move it down the driveway and park it with some difficulty, mostly the brake pedal not coming back up (I think it mostly needs more bleeding), and without a working accelerator pump, it was tough to get it moving. Seafoam showed me that there was a bunch of blow-by coming out of the PVC, and the rear main seal doesn't really do much of anything. But it does run. If I have to pull the engine to get the rear main replaced or to refresh the engine, I'll more than likely put an AOD in there while it's easy to do. A friend is also planning on getting rid of the truck tires that are on his '76 Olds 98, and will let me have them. They'll be perfect for what I have in mind!

Lastly, I have finally named this build: The Beast of Burden.

20. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

There is a spring that brings the brake pedal back up. it may be broken.