1978 Mad Max build: Beast of Burden

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by paul289, Jun 28, 2016.

1. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Mine had a vinyl top on it, and extensive rust across the top at the front. I sand blasted it and used my flame spray rig to rebuild it. The top where I extended the cab just required hand bending to make the pieces.
    One issue with work around the windshield is the pins that secure the trim. Source them before starting the work and lay out, carefully, where they are. If you add material in that area the trim won't set correctly afterward, so the new material has to be hand fit. That is why I used the flame spray.

paul289 likes this.
  2. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

I might not worry about the trim. In fact, I'll probably remove it and sell it before it invariably gets destroyed. As with most everything else on this car, Form Follows Function. If it doesn't help the car achieve a task, then it doesn't need to be there.

3. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

Alright, this week I'll be putting the 351W on an engine stand to actually get it torn down and start inspecting everything so I can start buying parts. Ideally, it'll be gaskets, seals, rings, and bearings; plus a camshaft.

So, provided that I use the stock pistons, E7 heads (with mild porting), 4-bbl intake, and stock manifolds, what cam should I get? Since this is a budget build, I'm just gonna reuse the E7 valve springs and rockers, so I can't go too wild on the cam. And low-end grunt will be nice. I may also begin turbocharging before tearing the engine apart again to swap cams/pistons/etc, so low overlap will be necessary.

4. paul289

paul289 In Third Gear

Picked up a pretty grungy 4160 (LIST 6919). Needs lots of cleaning, a choke bi-metal (might steal from the Eddy), and a sight plug for the rear float. And a full rebuild. Maybe I'll do some smoothing on the venturis, because those parting lines are rough. And screw in restrictors, at least. Wanna be able to actually tune the thing.

Attached Files: