1978 Mad Max build: Beast of Burden

Discussion in 'The Stable' started by paul289, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Definitely do not consider a spool. They create very dangerous situations, particularly when going around a corner and much worse when traction is not ideal on that corner. As ribald said, you'll be swapping ends in a heartbeat.

2. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

Gonna get some aftermarket axles. There's several small-bearing cut to length 31 spline axles available, so that's not gonna be an issue. A spool was never in consideration because I do like being able to turn. I just want to eliminate one tire fire with the best all-around results. Snow, dirt, rain, and dry pavement.

3. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

You have what is called "Torino Bearing" or med bearing not small bearing axles

4. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

I was underneath the Beast yesterday so I could install a shift kit when I noticed that the muffler was gone. I never even noticed. So many exhaust leaks that the muffler didn't matter much anyways. So yeah, now there's a muffler buried in the snow up in the mountains. But now that my Mustang is down for some serious suspension work, I can take one of its mufflers and pipe and put that in place until I can get a 3" system.

Also, found some rust holes in the floorpan. Since it seems that no one makes reproduction floor pans for '73+ Rancheros, I'll have to make some patches at some point.
    IMG_20170206_192926.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  5. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Reminds me of when my '83 Colony Park lost its muffler and tailpipe at 70 MPH on Interstate 5 about 10 miles South of here. I heard a crunch, looked in the rearview, and saw it tumbling end over end. It make it to the side of the freeway before anyone was endangered, thank God, and I doubled back to pick it up.

6. Shok

Shok In Third Gear

Back when I raced every weekend I had what I thought was a reliable easy disconnect for the cat converter, but one night on the way home after a day at the track it fell off and was ran over by my rear pass side tire. Ah the good old days, maybe the most fun period in my life.

7. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

That sunroof came out far too easily. I got my hand under the back left corner there, yanked up on it, and it popped right out. Started fiberglass patching the small holes around the edges, and when it's cured, I'll put down a piece of HVAC metal over the big hole. Rivet it in place, and caulk around it. That should waterproof it enough for occasional weather driving.
    [​IMG]

8. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

Roof is now patched! Also rejetted the carb because Eddy 1406s are tuned notoriously lean, and I'm still hunting down the source of my lack of dash lights. I'm kinda hoping that they'll just start working and I won't have to worry about it. I did also replace the previously absent steering coupler and adjusted the lash in the steering box. Shift kit is also installed. Once the caulking is fully cured, I'll roll the thing out and prime the transmission. So, might be driving around in the next week.

Lastly, I'm planning on taking it in to get a 3" exhaust system installed. With 3" pipes, I won't have to worry about upgrading the exhaust again once I get the 460. Now the question is, what mufflers should I get? I have Magnaflows on my Mustang, and I really like them, with how you can actually have a conversation, but are nice and loud when you get on it. And they're not tinny or raspy. However, they are kinda pricey. The other option I guess would be glasspacks, but I'd have to get some pretty long ones to get the noise level down. Really, I want to be able to hear problems like rattles and whines and stuff, and be able to hold a conversation, but still have a good, clean, muscular sound and good flow. So basically no chamber mufflers. Straight through only.
    [​IMG]

9. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Good on you getting the roof done!
    The 1406 being lean with a normal cam is new to me though. Almost always a rod/spring change fixes any holes in the fuel curve.
    As to the exhaust, I run dual 2.5" behind my 521. Go to the tracks, you will see high velocity rather than high volume exhausts winning races.
    As to sound, the last 2 feet of tailpipe has a huge impact in how it sounds. That is why you see tiny 4 banger ricers with 4" diameter tailpipes.

10. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

It always ran lean on my Mustang, and it had a stumble on the Ranchero. I'm on Tune #18, which is a rod change from stock, but it had been on #24, which was a jet change. Though looking like, uh, this may have had something to do with it. Mind you, that's after driving for about an hour, then sitting for a couple months. And for some reason, this carb likes to leak out fuel. You can see how high the fuel was, and where it is in the picture is how it was when I opened it up.

[​IMG]

The 460 is also getting turbocharged eventually, so a bigger exhaust will be necessary. Honestly, 2.5" seems tiny for a 460, especially since that's what's going on my 289 powered Mustang. And both will rev to 6500 easily (I'll probably take the 289 up to 7000 on occasion). At some point, the smaller exhaust will be a restriction. A 2.5" exhaust on a 460 might be fine to 4000 rpm, but past there, it just starts backing up. And this website says that the max power for a 2.5" system is about 460hp. That's basically going to be my starting point with the 460.

11. ribald1

I have seen charts like that, but I have never seen a 1000+HP car running two 5" pipes. I am sure someone has done it though.
    Go down to a track and look at what size pipes the winners are running rather than going to a muffler shop that makes more money selling a larger exhaust.
    Consider that the cylinders fire in sequence into a pipe 1-5/8" or less in diameter.

12. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

I'll just leave these dyno results here:

13. ribald1

I sure can't refute that.
    I will have to stop paying attention to what people winning races do and listen to muffler companies instead from now on.

14. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

So you would absolutely recommend a 2.5" dual system for an 800+hp twin turbo 6500 rpm big block? And you're positive that won't be a restriction?

15. ribald1

Absolutely.
    The twin turbos will be far more restrictive than a 2" dual exhaust even at those low RPM's.
    I didn't realize you were doing a boosted build, exhaust requirements are different for NOS or blower or turbo than they are for normally aspirated.

16. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

Took the Beast into work today. Drove pretty well, though the steering wheel is off by 90 degrees (I think the coupler slipped on the splines), and the speedometer is off quite a bit. Brakes could use some bleeding, and there's still one hole I forgot to cover with tape, and the blower decided to turn off when I switched from defrost to hi-lo. Lots of little things to do, but nothing that's keeping me from driving, really.

17. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Ouch!! Paul, that's an accident waiting to happen there, might ruin your Ranchero and your health. Believe it's a 15/16" nut, tighten it before driving again. Also, the turn signal cancellations will work properly if the wheel is aligned correctly.

Forgive me if that comes off as preaching safety, or not recognizing your humor. Some things need to be stopped now.

18. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

I know why it's out of alignment. After I replaced the coupler, I hadn't yet tightened the clamp on the coupler around the steering box shaft. I reefed on the steering wheel to straighten the wheels in the garage (not running), and it jumped several teeth. I'm gonna loosen it up, pull the steering wheel back to straight, then tighten it down.

19. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, that's something you do not want to forget, as the big tree looms in your windshield. Glad to see you made it home without incident.

20. paul289

paul289 In Fourth Gear

But yeah, next major concern is why my heater stopped working. The fuses are good, the wire to the blower motor is fine, and it just stopped when I switched from Defrost to Heat. Had a surprise snow fall this morning, and the Beast was not ready for it. Also had picked up a fireplace insert and left it in the bed. Sure, it's tied down, but I'd like to not have 300 lbs of cast iron coming through the back window. And I want to use my defrost.