1979 Ranchero GT

Discussion in 'Ranchero Pics' started by Holy Diver, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver In Second Gear

Hello - new member to this community. There are a lot of beautiful cars here. This one is a bit of a "Diamond in the Rough" but, it's mine... Just picked it up. 1979 Ranchero GT / 351M 2V / ?? Auto. Blue with decorative rust. (Hoping the picture posts ok from Flickr - will post a few more if it works)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  2. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

Still a nice lookin ride. You have some rust issues on top of those qtrs but looks fixable. As long as the frame is solid you should be good to go! Welcome to the site! :D

3. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Mine developed some similar issues when I lived in Hawaii - and I had some areas over the rear wheel houses that gave me fits. I think the mild climate encourages condensation inside the quarters so you get a lot of residual moisture. Good luck with it! Nice looking ride... is that Mililani in the background?

4. Holy Diver

Re: Welcome to the site

Thank you Sir! I think I'll stay awhile. I've not really met anyone here yet. Perused the Parts for Sale and think I may have even found the replacement hockeysticks for the bed. Used the VIN decoder. Viewed a lot of the pictures posted here and fell in LOVE with Sarah's ride... I really wanted a 1972 GT ever since I drove one my senior year in high school (30 years ago).

5. Holy Diver

hawaii

Not Mililani - it's West Loch, between Waipahu and Ewa Beach

6. 72GTVA

Okay, some changes. I lived at Iroquois Point with an Ewa Beach address for seven years, and shared the back fence of my yard with West Loch.

7. Holy Diver

Changes to Ewa Side

Yes, there have been lots of changes. The parking lot they called Ft Weaver Road has been widened to three lanes all the way from Geiger Rd all the way up to the H-1 on-ramp so things have improved there. Still ridiculous traffic on H-1 heading towards town though.

How long ago were you out here?

Oh, and it's not West Loch as in the Navy's bit - there are two "developed" communities heading on up to Waipahu called Westloch Fairways and Westloch Estates.

< also wondering - should I have posted these pics in the sticky "no comments" thread, or was it all good to post here? >

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011
  8. 72GTVA

The pictures are fine here - and you could post them in the pictures only thread if you wish. No comments are allowed in the pictures only thread so if you are looking for comments the threads you started are fine.

I lived there from '80 - '87 - brought my Ranchero with me when I moved there and it left with me when I departed. Loved the place, although I did have island fever when I left.

9. Iron Mullet

Iron Mullet In Third Gear

Looks like a good find! Start watching ebay for the driver side turn signal and you should eventually find one reasonably priced; no need to spend $100 on one unless you are really in a hurry or are doing a resto.

Those curb feelers are a nice touch...

Thanks for posting the pictures, and welcome to the site!

10. shoprat

shoprat In Fourth Gear

Welcome,
    These Guys here are pretty sharp on these cars (trucks). I pick up a lot just lurking.
    I don't know how you deal with the rust over there. It never sleeps. Had a couple
    friends that came back with there cars ruined. Maybe trying to stop it will help.
    Glad the picture thing got cleared up. I never could understand it exactly. I just
    figured no pictures were wanted. Nice look'n Ranchero
    Ron:)

11. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

looks like a good start, get those hockey sticks asap..and do some sealing work...unless I miss my guess there will be some problems in between the inner and outer skin on the quarters if it has been open to air all this time... drop a tail light and take a look...moisture in there is a real problem in certain climates...por15 or a good spray in bedliner in a can is good for sealing the areas after rust treating...and WELCOME

12. 2beast

2beast In Third Gear

Welcome to the club.

You have a good start there.
    Hope you hang around and post updates :cool:

Greg

13. sarah

sarah Pic Moderator Staff Member

thank you I'm quite fond of RED myself. You will find we are a family here...some disfunctional members but Sean and Denny are still harmless anyhow welcome . what are the plans for your newest acquisition

14. rwitt

rwitt In Maximum Overdrive

Welcome to the site! Good to see another 77-79 model. We're the redheaded step children of the ranchero family. :D I think most of us like the 72 models but don't let the fish mouth owners hear that.......it goes to their heads. :)
    If you've got questions, these guys and gals can answer them.

Oh and don't worry about Sean. We lock him up at night so he can't hurt himself or others. :)

15. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Aloha & welcome to the site. Alot of info and help here for whatever problems you need solutions for. I dont see many Rancheros of any years whenever I'm on Oahu. Spend time there each year on the North Shore. Just got back. A little note; Hawaii IS in the USA. Thats a tough line to get the habit of not saying. Been there, done that. We know you mean the mainland. As they say there, Hau'oli Makahiki Hou. (Happy New Year)

16. Holy Diver

Relative Newbie

@ HuevosRanchero - I have the hockeysticks already lined up (thanks to this site). Need to get some POR15 or similar to at least stop the progression of rust before I get the trim back on there to promote it...

@ 2beast - I plan on sticking around and will post updates as I get time to do something besides take pictures... recovering from a surgery, so not too inclined to get all physical with car repairs yet. I use Flickr for my photos and have invited you all to come look - 6500 pictures online and counting!

@ sarah - nothing wrong with red ;) Plans are first to make it bearable to inhabit. 30 year old carpeting and no doubt some leaky seals here and there means it stinketh to high heaven in there. I plan on ripping out the seats and carpeting. The seats should be reupholdtered and the carpeting replaced with a complete new set. Next order of business will be reliability. It doesn't seem to need much mechanically - brakes work well, suspension and steering all works well (but the P/S pump whines when it works). More concerned about electrical in it than mechanical. Third, I intend to do some cosmetic work - stopping the rust in the bed caps, replace missing trim and goobered up mirrors, patch the holes drilled in the roof for antennas, etc...

CURRENTLY, there is no intent to make it a hot rod or a show car, but I have a weakness working on a car with a V8 and not doing something about performance.... :cool:

@ rwitt - Yes, I also do like the Torino based models more than '77-'79 (nobody else read this line, ok?) but the LTD based cars are pretty cool too...

@ 1979 Ranchero GT - in reference to Hawaii, there are things I love about it as well as things I hate about it. No, there are not many Rancheros left out here (72GTVA took 'em all back with him, LOL).

17. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

About 80 square miles, you run out of things to do fast. A week or so is about all I ever stay. Done all the touristy things years ago so after a week of family and friends, its back to the mainland. As to the 'chero , I'd pull the taillights and power wash the inside of the quarters specially the top edge and the lower seams to get the loose crud out. After it dries spray some kind of rust neutralizer up on the upper seams and the lower seams. Let that dry and then a rust inhibitor paint to seal the metal. I know they have the nastiest rust problems, even worse than great lakes area. Must be the salty air. Underside of roofs and inner panels never get protected, factory hopes you buy new before they rot away. While you're at it do the tailgate too. Looks like a clean 79 you have. One leak is the outer top bed molding bolt holes. Sealer dries up. Headliner has to be out for that one.

18. Holy Diver

I'm guessing since I have no bed moulding.... the holes were sealed with something. Will take a look though. Thanks a lot for the suggestions for rust-proofing. YES, I'm sure the salt air has a lot to do with it as well as the high humidity level. People can keep some nice cars here, but it really takes a garage and constant wipe-downs. Even the best car covers made don't last more than a couple years between the humidity and the sun... that's why I don't have my '57 Chevy anymore. Couldn't bear to see it parked on the street and two car garages here mean two cars (IF you own Honda Civics).

I might just consider shaving off the clip brackets, weld the rust holes up, and make the top of the bed all smooth, no trim at all.....

19. Holy Diver

Ripping stuff out

Well, my son and I started some light work yesterday. Pulled the stack of communication equipment from between the seats and tried to get it all removed from the spare tire compartment and luggage space as well. A little "hitch" in that process - there is a lock holding the huge General Electric component into its bracket and the bracket seems to be mounted from inside... I may have to destroy it to get it out and I really don't want to do that.

My door plate decodes to:

Body "97" = Ranchero GT
    VR "blank"
    Mldg "blank"
    Trim "FB" = Blue vinyl
    A "A/C" = Factory A/C installed
    R "4" = ???
    S "blank"
    Axle "B" = 2.74:1 Non-locking
    Trans "X" = FMX Automatic (can anyone decode the BBAA?)

[​IMG]

Going through the papers from the glove box, I found quite a bit of history on the car:

Purchased new from Honolulu Ford on 20 Dec 1979 with 9 miles on the odometer by the "Bank of Hawaii". Registered to "Head Cashier". The car was fitted with a canopy from "The Stockland Company" of Irvine, CA.

Registered from 1981 - at least 1985 to Comar Electronics dba RBT Adjusters (dispatched insurance adjuster - maybe sheds a little light on all the gear in it?).

Donated to the Kidney Foundation of Hawaii - new title issued 11 Dec 2009 with 206,639 miles on the odometer (average of 6883 miles per year on an island roughly 607 square miles 44 miles x 30 miles).

Purchased from Kidney Foundation at auction (unknown date) by Britt Moody.

Sold to "Kapiolani Mules" Used Car dealership.

Kapiolani Mules liquidating and going out of business, owner retiring and moving to Hawaii (the "Big Island") and sold to me.

I have the original Owner's Manual, the original Warranty Information Facts Booklet, the original Certificate of Accuracy for the odometer, the original registration, and the original OwnerCard Warranty Identification Card (photo included).

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2011
  20. Dan the ranchero man

Dan the ranchero man MODERATOR Staff Member

That is really great that you have all the original paperwork that goes with the car! Most of that stuff is long gone by now. 206,639 Miles! That is a lot of times around the ol island!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011