1979 Ranchero roof question

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by 62restomod, Jun 2, 2019.

1. 62restomod

62restomod In Second Gear

Now that I got rid of the '62 wreak I am looking at a 1979 Ranchero GT picture and saw that it had a sunroof (head baker)
    my question is: Did any years come with a factory sunroof ? It looks like aftermarket to me[​IMG]

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

The only ones I've seen in the entire run were aftermarket, but that does not mean there weren't factory ones.

3. tony o

tony o In Third Gear

4. 62restomod

Yea! I'm sceptical that it is factory, looks like a nice install no water stains but it is AZ so it doesn't rain there

5. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Hell yes it rains in AZ its called monsoons but it doesn't mean that it wasn't garaged, why the big spread in year's, don't get burned twice the CFO might not be so forgiving next time around.

6. 62restomod

The difference in years in my opinion has less chance to be butchered up to the point of no return. I'm not saying it can't be done but less chance any way.
    Besides the newer models are roomier I really could not get into the '62 without contorting my legs due to knee problems .Plus I thought a smaller vehicle would fit better in the garage as not to hog storage and walk around space.
    The bigger car will fit and I will sacrifice
    I owned a 1972 Torino 2 door and "74 Torino wagon and I know it is a much better fit.
    I am keeping my head down around the CFO and avoiding talking about it for now
    Is there an emoji for the walk of shame?:oops::eek::mad::(

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  7. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I vote for a '64-'65 (of course!). I'm 6'4", and I have plenty of room.

8. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

That is an aftermarket sunroof,

9. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I'm only 5'10", and I'm biased, but I also vote for '64 - '65 (maybe as late as '68). But, then, I like the earlier 'cheros. Post-70, they get too big for me. Bottom line, get what you WANT, not what is listed right now. Listings will change in a week.

Just my two cents,

Joseph

10. 62restomod

I am still in the market but will probably move up to mid to late '60s may be even early '70s IDK yet
    I am gun shy right now but I will move on
    I too am 6'4" and have a slight weight problem back and knees are the killer

11. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I'm not in the market, but I decided I want a '65 Falcon two-door. I think my wife would kill me, though.

Joseph

12. 62restomod

I'm treading lightly right now just letting her get over it. Eyeing a '65 4 hours away waiting for engine bay and underneath shots description vague.
    What should I be wary of? Such as known rust areas etc.

13. beerbelly

Since unfortunately you were recently burned, you probably have a good idea what to look for in a 60's Ranchero. I'd ask if you could look under the bed cover ("smuggler's box"); that's where water wants to settle.

14. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

When I bought my '64, sight unseen, I was most concerned with the body, because I don't have any experience with body work. The body was straight, no bondo, interior done, glass good, etc. I was less worried about the mechanical, because I can handle that.

So, I'm picking at the mechanical, doing an engine rebuild on a separate block (just 'cuz it's fun), and not having to worry (too much) with the body. The PO did a Rhino-lining of the bed, and installed some metal inserts into the nooks behind the seats, then drilled holes in the foot wells for the "rear passengers," for water to escape.

Bottom line, I know the warts in mine are 90% in the mechanical, which I can deal with. Nothing to keep it off the road for more than a weekend. But everyone has "their area." If you enjoy body work, or want to learn, then maybe you can use that to drive the price down, and keep the CFO happier.

Joseph

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  15. beerbelly

I highly recommend that you narrow your search closer to home, within driving or trailering distance. When I found mine on CL, it was 300 miles away. My wife & I drove down the night before & got a hotel so we had time the next day to inspect the car and take it for a test drive. I brought tools, a jack, a flashlight and a magnet, and spent about an hour going over & under the car and running the magnet over the body panels. I had asked him before we arrived to remove the bed cover, which turned out to be in great shape- no rust. After the test drive confirmed the engine, trans & brakes were OK, I made an offer, bought the car and my wife followed me home. Made it just fine, with one stop to change the fuel filter. Fun adventure.

16. 62restomod

I am not really into body work either, all the dust, rust and bust is not my thing. Causes breathing problems even with a mask. Mechanical is ok for me was my trade before retirement. Yea, I know " I should know better". Like I said "its like your 1st girlfriend. love hits you in the head and can't think straight"
    We are working on another one close to home maybe.
    Will plan this one better

colnago likes this.
  17. 62restomod

Here is a question for every one living in the northeast (VT, NH,MA, CT,ME maybe NY) If anybody knows of Rancho for sale give me a shout please
    Many thanks in advance

18. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I myself am overtall, overweight and bad knees/lower back, so having Babe is wonderful. If I weren't morbidly obese, I would consider getting a '68-'71.

19. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

If I could offer any suggestion it would be to pick the body style that appeals to you most. I was smitten with mine because my first car was a 77' T-bird (mine may very well end up with a77 T-Bird front clip just because I dig the nose that much)

That said as far as parts and "stuff" goes give significant thought to the aftermarket parts availability not just for your car but for the build as a whole. It is a whole lot easier to build a killer motor and do cool stuff if you don't have emissions concerns. For example, since mine is a 77 it has to have cats (as in catalytic convertors) which means finding headers is damn near impossible and the only order it now exhaust systems are "Cat Back". Lot's of stuff for 73 ish n older not so much for the 77 - 79 band, you end up looking at T-Bird's, Cougar's, LTD II's, Lincoln's and vans and trucks, none of which normally inhabit junk yards. If you think the CFO (mine is the "Admiral") is mad now, wait till you spend 36 hrs on the computer looking for a single piece of information so that you can then spend more time hunting down that part. If you haven't figured it out yet, you will never get back the $$$ you invest in the car no matter what year, but the pride, satisfaction and just F&%*!^g Cool factor of figuring it out and doing it yourself is priceless compensation. And God help you after you have someone come up to you out of the blue and play 20 questions with you (a hot rod guy) and their last statement is "That is just Totally Bad Ass!"

Food for thought and worth what you paid for it.

Cheers,

Doc

Edit for spelling

Kiwirancher and colnago like this.
  20. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

What he said. ^^^

Joseph