2012 Ford Fusion AWD

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Saff54, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Saff54

Saff54 In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Afternoon guys,so wife got a flat on her way to work Tuesday,AAA came by changed the tire (donut)she was only a few miles from work so drove to work and called me,she said that it was difficult to steer,kept pulling to the right,it was the drivers tire that blew,told her I would meet her at work when she got out and I would drive her her car and she could follow me in my truck,started right up but I could not steer it at all,the tires barely moved,would not steer right or left,had to leave it and have it towed ,any thoughts on why it would not steer?been trying to buy her a new car for 2years but she loves her car,250,000 miles,don’t want to spend a lot of money getting it fixed but would like to get through the winter and get her new wheels in the spring,as always thanks for any thoughts or insight into a possible solution

2. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Electric steering on those?

3. Saff54

Hey BB,not sure,didn’t even consider that,I’ll google it

4. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

5. Saff54

6. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I'd be inclined to agree, either the elex steering failed, or possibly the donut wasn't inflated to 60 PSI. I've also found that with FWD, you have to put the rear wheel up front, and put the donut on the rear. That Taurus sedan I had, it hated steering correctly with a pizza cutter up front.

7. Saff54

Afternoon all,update on the wife’s car,cleared all the codes and the power steering was restored,took off the donut and swapped it with a rear tire to get it to the tire shop,Andy,the tire guy said exactly what you said,you never put the donut on the front,ever!gonna get a front end alignment this week,she loves her car again!still hoping to get her new wheels in the spring but……..thanks for the input guys

HuevosRanchero likes this.
  8. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yah welcome, and good show on swapping the wheels!