2019 Ford Ranger - Review

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TestDummy, Feb 25, 2019.

1. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

We got a new Ranger in this morning. Supercrew. Saber color (orange-ish gold?). I drove it around a bit before pulling it into the building. The power was decent, especially considering it was from a 2.3 four-banger. And I'd be fine with 25 mpg. The seats were firm and comfortable, and the back seats seemed roomy enough for adults (extended cab, not so much). To me the brakes seemed soft. The truck stopped, but to me the pedal felt like it was still going towards the floor. Probably something you get used to. First impression on build quality is that it's at least as good as the Colorado and Tacoma, and far better than the Frontier. Ours, an XLT, had a sticker price of $30K, which is comparable to the other mid-size trucks.

On a scale of 1-10, I'll give it a 'Doesn't suck'

Carl Steinbarger likes this.
  2. ForistellFord

ForistellFord In Maximum Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Um, thanks? We were all waiting rather anxiously for your review of a Ford Ranger.

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Someone spike your coffee...... Again, or are you starting a sideline.

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Maybe he's starting a new site, Rangechero.who gives a RA.

ForistellFord likes this.
  5. TestDummy

It's a Ford vehicle site. The Ranger is now, and recently had more orders than F-150's. And I thought I'd share my opinion. All ya'all can go sniff!!

6. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

On that scale mentioned above, "Doesn't Suck" equates to what??? I haven't looked at them yet but have some family members that are interested in the smaller truck and they don't like the other makes. (they love my F-150 but they want me to "give" it to them.). Silly rascals. They think Daddy Warbuck$$$$ is made of $$$$$$$$$$^3.

On a side note, my Taurus brakes feel quite a bit "softer" than my Mustang and F-150, and the Crown Victoria "company car" brakes are firm but tend to feel less positive than Mustang. Curious about the soft comment - I doubt you had time to give it a pump to see if it firmed up. Might look at one tomorrow at the stealership while having the Taurus State Inspection taken care of...

7. TestDummy

Doesn't suck means it's okay. Not really a game changer, though. It's a midsize truck, like a Colorado and Tacoma, the two I think are actual competitors. It was sort of fun to drive. Wish you could get a manual transmission though. End of the day, the Tacoma will hold it's value much better. In fact, they hardly lose their value, which really baffles my mind.

8. 72GTVA

Thanks... appreciate the assessment.

9. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

Well, Wreck it then..Let us know how it held up..

10. TestDummy

In due time. First we have to test it's headlights and AEB performance, then we'll crash it (it being three of them). We like to get our monies worth.

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Wish I could find that commercial..."How 'bout that gold one?" "That's Desert Sand Mica." "I don't care--just crash it."

12. ForistellFord

The crash worthiness is about the only thing I want to hear from you, mister. "Doesn't suck means it's OK" isn't exactly my idea of a rating system. Glad the IIHS has a less obscure system than you employ.

13. HuevosRanchero

HuevosRanchero In Maximum Overdrive

phew 30k.....for a "cheap" truck

14. ForistellFord

I can get a nice previous gen Ranger with a 2.3/5 speed with around 100k in good shape for under 3. I know this is a new beast altogether but 30, and no stick option? Pfffft!!!

15. 72GTVA

And it will probably need an airbag before you can drive it...

16. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Pfffft indeed! And in a similar vein, why are full-size pickups now 11 ft. tall, requiring an elevator to work in the engine compartment?

Kiwirancher likes this.
  17. plumcolr

plumcolr In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Yeah, I'm not pleased by their size either. Seems to be more than needed. Doesn't seem to hurt their sales any. Here smack-dab in suburbia I am surrounded by them. Status thing or rebellion against tiny mandated fuel economy boxes I guess.

18. Huevos

Huevos In Maximum Overdrive

I like Headlight Testing.. Nyuuck Nyuucck Nyuuck...
    She could help out with that..

19. TestDummy

20. 1979 RANCHERO GT

1979 RANCHERO GT In Overdrive

Just fixed the front of a new Explorer, a grand apiece for the headlights plus you give the old lamps back no matter what's left of them to get your core charge back. How much of this new Ranger is aluminum and how much is steel?