289 compression numbers

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by cbolt, May 8, 2019.

1. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Everything back together.... engine still taps. :(

They still shoot horses, don't they?

2. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I just thought of a long shot.
    Did you check the inside of your valve covers?
    If something is hitting the cover usually around the baffle then you would get your tapping noise and not be able to find it by checking the valve train.
    Greg

3. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Awww heck...I thought surely you had it solved. Was that one rocker fulcrum the only one with wear like that? It may be a sign that that lifter is not passing enough oil up through the pushrod and has a problem.

4. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Buy a set of oil deflectors so you can run it with the valve cover off and check the rockers one at a time by putting pressure on each one with a piece of wood to see if you can isolate the one that is tapping.

5. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I did that with a modified valve cover. No joy. It is time to purchase a stethoscope I imagine.

Basstrix, I watched it run and saw plenty of oil coming up each pushrod to the rockers prior to locating that bad ball. It was indeed only one bad ball.

I also checked the valve covers for signs of them hitting the rockers... I didn't see anything to raise my suspicions.

Ugh.

6. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

JIM .
    I have a 50 caliber Desert Eagle. i can bring it over ,

Kiwirancher likes this.
  7. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Damn,thought fresh rockers would be the fix.Really hard to help ya diagnose a noise on computer screen.Need to pin point zakery where sound is coming from,either by feel of listening device.Sometimes feeling each rocker while engine running will get you going in right direction.
    Double check again for exhaust leak on manifolds(crack) and header connection.Had tap on 73 5.0 that sounded like lifter,twas bottom side of exhaust flange.Went to copper gaskets,no more issues.

8. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

And I imagine you've tried more preload and no difference? :confused:
    Yes, stethoscope time. Is it just one tapping or a bunch, or all?

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  9. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Between the cost of a cheap stethoscope with a diaphragm and time lost on chasing the gremlins, well you figure it out. Sometimes you have to look for the smallest thing in the Forrest to find the big game.

10. andrewok1

andrewok1 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER GOLD MEMBER

SEE YA Friday ~~~~!!

11. Doc76251

Doc76251 In Fourth Gear

I got a 408 AI that I can throw into the mix. Course the angle on the dangle would have to be just right and you would have to line up your desired penetrations but I'm sure I could get end to end penetration at 700 yds +. I did a mid 80's diesel Toyota at about 500 yds with similar, through the block, through the tranny and through the rear diff, it was amazing how fast it stopped when the diff and tranny got clipped. I know it hit the tranny and diff as we recovered them after the driver lost control of the button and vaporized the rig into a 6' crater, talk about reactive targets :cool:

Cheers,

Doc

12. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

And you call yourself a doc....:D

Kiwirancher likes this.