289 Heads and 302 Crank/Rods?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by colnago, Mar 31, 2019.

1. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

Well, I really didn't plan to be in this spot, but here I am. I bought a 289 to rebuild on craigslist. Got it home, took off the heads, and they were garbage 302 heads. Figured I could use the block (.030 over on bore), crank, and rods. The block had a '71 casting number, so it was a 302 as well. Hmmm, well the stroke checked out to be for a 289.

Fast forward. Bought a 289 block (standard bore), and got a set of 289 heads from my machinist. I spent some time this weekend tearing down the first block to retrieve the 289 crank/rods. Found out that I can't measure the stroke properly, and the crank/rods are 302 as well. The main bearings and rod bearings are .020 over. So, my options:

1. Rebuild my 289 block/heads with the 302 crank/rods

2. Get some 302/351 heads from my machinist, and build a 302 (with either block)

3. Chuck the 302 crank/rods, and find some 289 crank/rods for my 289 block/heads

I'm not after some street monster, just a reliable ride. I might go with some retro roller lifters, just to learn something. I also found that the 302 bore is only .010 longer (on average) than the 289 block. Recommendations?

Joseph

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Find an early '90s (including Explorer/Mountaineer) 5.0L, and do it up. Sell all the other stuff to make at least some money back. It may not necessarily be the cheapest, but it's the simplest. And it gives you a factory roller cam.

3. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

I found an '88 302 roller block a few weeks ago, but the pictures indicated that it survived an engine fire (the timing cover -- or its melted remains -- were still mounted on the block), so I opted to not go that direction. I'll probably talk to my machinist tomorrow, but I value the forum's real-world experience.

Joseph

4. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

5.0 block

5. LSChero

LSChero In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

6. handy_andy_cv64

For $70 bucks, you cannot go wrong! It's like you buy the engine stand, you get a free engine!

7. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

Dang! Where was he a month ago? I couldn't find a SBF block anywhere! The only downside is a four-hour drive there, lose my truck (and 302 block) at the slots, and the long Greyhound ride back!

I did some checking on the 'net last night. Apparently, the increased compression ratio between a 289 and a 302 isn't that much. I was afraid I would not be able to use the 302 crank/rods and the 289 heads, but it only raises it from 9:1 to 9.5:1.

Joseph

8. handy_andy_cv64

The only gamble in this is the round trip and the engine. Take the wife, she'll keep you on the straight and narrow.

9. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

She hates riding in my truck. My '67 F250 can pull a house, but it's not really known for creature comforts.

Joseph

10. handy_andy_cv64

You just have the wrong seats.

11. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

What do you mean? What's wrong with a 52-year-old bench seat? ;)

It's actually the whole thing: a 52-year-old bench seat, no A/C, 3/4-ton suspension, no shoulder straps, no air bags, no XM radio, no ability to recline, no cup holders ...

Joseph

12. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

So you mean a TRUCK?

13. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

Yessir! Something I can take to the dump, and not worry about a little dirt scuffing my aluminum rims! That's what the Ranchero is for!

Joseph

1965 Ranchero 66G likes this.
  14. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Road trip. !!

15. handy_andy_cv64

Sounds like every vehicle my dad ever bought for the family, or commuting to work. Funny thing is, you could cure all these problems and then some...if you wanted to spend the lucre.

16. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I am currently running 289 heads with a 302 crank, rods, and pistons. I planned to rebuild my 289 as a 289 however the 289 crank and rods are difficult to come by so after some research I decided the 302 guts in the 289 block would work just fine as the only real difference between the two is the longer stroke in the 302. I also added an Edelbrock carb, intake, and cam. That with the .30 bore and longer stroke the engine runs like a scalded cat when you put your foot in it.

I would say if you already have a good block and heads there isn't a reason to purchase another block and heads. Just build what you got. From what I am reading you have two sets already and could easily build two engines. One mild, one wild maybe?

17. colnago

colnago In Fourth Gear

How are the pistons different? Different pin height? Longer skirt?

Joseph

18. cbolt

cbolt In Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I bought speed pro pistons as part of a kit, and the skirts were much shorter but I am not sure if that is because they are aftermarket pistons, nor do I know what type of pistons were installed because the block I have was bored .30 over when I got it by an authorized Ford reman place. I already scrapped all my old stuff, except the 289 crank which I gave to andy.

19. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

Current replacement pistons for 289 or 302 are the same part - they always have been interchangeable. Rod lengths are 5.155 (289) and 5.090 for 302. That, plus the difference in stroke, makes the effective deck height the same.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  20. beerbelly

beerbelly In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Listen to pmrphil- he knows his stuff. He has a race shop on the East Coast.