300 I6 in a 70 Ranchero

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by Cramplehade, Oct 9, 2019 at 7:36 PM.

1. Cramplehade

Cramplehade In First Gear

Hi, I'm trying to get some feedback on how i could slap a 300 into my 70 Ranchero. Currently it's a 351c C4 car, but I want it to be manual, and soon I'll be getting a 300 with a np-435, and I already have a Toploader lying around. my plan is to put the 300 and the Toploader together and put that into the Ranchero, and then rebuild the Cleveland. Basically I want my Ranchero to be a manual on a HUGE budget. (I'm 17 and don't have a stable job) So if you guys could give me ideas on how i could do this I would really appreciate it.

P.S I'm aware the 351c is a monster compared to the 300, but i want to rebuild the cleveland and still drive my pride and joy at the same time. The 300 most likely will not be a permanent swap just a fun project/challenge for myself.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 9:24 PM
  2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Why would you want a straight-six, when that Toploader will bolt right up to the Cleveland block (the Cleveland and Windsor share the same bell housing pattern)? The best you'll get from a 300, is around the same as from a 302, give or take. So just leave the Cleveland bolted in place, hook up the Toploader with a decent clutch pack, sell the 300/NP435, and have a much nicer car. Even if the engine is a 351W, you can do exactly the same thing.

3. 1965 Ranchero 66G

1965 Ranchero 66G In Maximum Overdrive Unubtanium Member

I have to restrain myself from commenting , other than why. ?

TestDummy likes this.
  4. 72GTVA

72GTVA Administrator Staff Member

Perhaps because what he has available is the 300, and he knows it will take time to rebuild the Cleveland? Given the statement of expected outlay versus the uncertainty of income - and you need to keep it on the road while you overcome the obstacles?

Give the OP a break while he works out the details and brainstorms with all you experts.

TestDummy likes this.
  5. 1965 Ranchero 66G

As for me, I am no expert it just didn't make since to me but I am not doing the build and will be looking forward to updates. And welcome to the Forum.

6. handy_andy_cv64

I didn't desire to attack him or his idea, that's for sure, but I simply wanted to lay out for him alternatives that might make the task easier (retrofitting a manual trans only vs. retrofitting an engine and trans, where the engine was never offered in the Ranchero or wagon, only the 250 CID I-6, a different engine series. Even that engine can have the Toploader bolted to it, and mounts could be found. But unless the Cleveland threw a rod, or way overheated, or ran out of oil, it would be better if he simply stayed with the Cleveland.

colnago likes this.
  7. Cramplehade

Because the Cleveland is an automatic, and I don't have 450 bucks to put into a flywheel and clutch parts, so I was going to use the 300 which already has a clutch and flywheel on it while I save money to rebuild the Cleveland.

8. Cramplehade

I agree. The Cleveland is a beast, I just wanted to try something different that wouldn't cost too much money, since i'll be getting the 300 for free. I know that the c4 and Toploaders share the same tranny cross-member and drive-shaft length, but I know also that the 300 wasn't stock with my year, so i'd need to make or jerry rig some motor mounts.

9. handy_andy_cv64

Yes, maybe. The 300 and 240 straight sixes are the same family, so look for ones that came from an early Sixties Fairlane. It stands to reason they'll at least give you a chance to use them, or to partly duplicate them, to mount the 300. Just a question, do you intend on warming up the engine with an Offy manifold and a 4-barrel carb, headers, better rocker arms and a bumpier cam?

10. Cramplehade

I did think that would be cool, but my budget is just too low for those parts. what i was planning was buying a turbo at my local junkyard and welding up a custom turbo header and possibly convert the stock intake to accept a 2 barrel carb. I saw this guy on youtube who made his 200 stock intake into a tri-power by drilling some holes into the ends of his intake and welding some plates onto the holes so he could bolt up 2 extra single barrel carbs. I'm basically just gonna wing it, lol, this car is already pretty ratty so i'm not worried about it looking pretty, just something wild and unique.

11. handy_andy_cv64

A triple single is nice, it's what Hudson had on their engines ("Triple-H Power"), but whatever you do, to get past the restrictive single-barrel, you'll need another cam other than stock to take advantage of the extra capacity afforded by the two extra plates. Here's an idea: set up the Toploader using the Cleveland for now. Work on the 300 as time and money permit, that way, your engine will be all together while still having the Chero to drive. I know what it's like to lay up a car when the engine's pulled. It's bloody well in the way.

12. handy_andy_cv64

I did miss your post stating that you wanted to rebuild the Cleveland, but $450 for clutch and flywheel? Was that through Amazon or ePay?

13. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

Uhmmm ... I think you need to count your carbs again. Way back in the day (my very first car) was a Hudson coupe with a Twin-H Power motor, had 2 @ 1-bbl carbs.

Hillbilly likes this.
  14. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

HA! When I first started reading your post, I thought you were giving advise for a paleo diet! Counting carbs, indeed!

Joseph

15. burninbush

burninbush In Maximum Overdrive

LOL -- that would have worked too.

colnago likes this.
  16. handy_andy_cv64

Dammit, I let my mind wander, and it wouldn't come back when I called for it! You are absolutely right, it was "Twin-H Power," and I 1) stand corrected, and 2) stand by my assertion that more than one single-barrel carb would be necessary.

17. handy_andy_cv64

I'm actually on a Ketogenic diet, but same difference....

18. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

I had to look that one up. High in fat, low in carbs? That's weird.

Back on the original topic, to me, the most difficult issue would be finding or fabbing (or both) the motor mounts. To the OP, would it be worth the time/effort/cost of dealing with motor mounts, if the 300 I6 is a temporary situation? I could see going through this if it were permanent. If the end goal is to allow you to rebuild your Cleveland, wouldn't it be worth it to find/rebuild the engine of your choice, while still driving the Cleveland, then do the switch once? That's what I did with my '67 F250, and it worked out quite well. Because I could keep it on the road, I could make progress on the rebuild when time/money permitted. Yes, it was slow, but I didn't have to worry about getting the truck back on the road, because it was still a drivable vehicle. It also allowed me to rebuild a spare C6 that I was given. Just asking.

Joseph

19. colnago

colnago In Overdrive

20. 1965 Ranchero 66G

Keto diet, if you have a crock pot make your own bone broth soup, add carrots, celery and sweet onions in the last couple hours. Or you can buy it off of the shelf.