351 2v heads ?

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Help' started by jim finn, Jan 9, 2020.

1. jim finn

jim finn In Third Gear

ok, getting conflicting ideas on 351 2v heads. I have a 351 4v motor q code cobra-jet with 4v heads and am rebuilding the motor. From what I have heard and read, the 2v 351 heads closed chamber would be best ? The 4v heads are great for big performance, but I'm just cruzin on the street only. I've been told the 2v closed chamber heads only came from australia ? Really ? Anywho, does anyone have some insight into this ? I'm currently about to rebuild some 2v open chamber heads and am on the fence of what to do ? please any help would be great, thanks jim - And if someone has closed chamber 2v heads for sale ?

2. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Essentially, the 4V (Quench) heads, as you said, are for higher performance vs. the 2V (open chamber), which gives lower-end torque without sacrificing all that much upper-end performance. The Aussie heads are, essentially, Quench heads with the 2V intake runner sizes, and so you'd also need the particular cam that the Aussie engines came with, to maximize their potential. For the money to score and rebuild a usable set of those, you could score a usable set of Edelbrock aluminum heads.

3. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

You could always use your existing 4V heads, and get a set of "MPG Port Plates" to go along with them. They are "tongues" that stick into (and effectively block some of) the intake ports, increasing port velocity by a bunch. Makes a huge difference. Way better than 2V heads. Look them up.

4. jim finn

jim finn In Third Gear

thanks for the help