351w (408) vs 460 (545)

Discussion in 'General Ranchero Help' started by C_garabedian89, May 31, 2016.

1. C_garabedian89

C_garabedian89 In Second Gear

Want to make a stroker motor for the Ranchero but can't decide which block I should start with.....all opinions and suggestions welcome

Thanks

2. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

no replacement for displacement

TestDummy likes this.
  3. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

I think you would get more bang for your buck with the 545.
    But both would would do a great job as tread removal devices.:D
    Just make sure the rest of the running gear including big brakes is up to the task.

4. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

If you want reliability, I would suggest you build a 520. When the 520 gets tired, it becomes a 530 with pistons and a bore.
    The larger strokers have the wrist pin invading the oil ring grove, and the skirts are so short that they wear rapidly even if they are coated.
    In my opinion the best way to build a larger stroker is to use block extensions or a taller block. Of course, that means fabricating adapters for the intake.

On the other hand, if you want just raw power and don't expect the engine to run 100,000 miles, the bigger strokers are the way to go.

5. C_garabedian89

A 520 would just be a bored out 460?

6. Camden cornell

Camden cornell In First Gear

Well I'm loving my 520 right now in my 74, just drove from San Francisco to sioux falls SD, no problems. Super reliable platform to build off, but also take into account on the transmission, costs a lot less for a c6 to handle power then to build a c4 or aod. The only real downfall is gas milage.

7. C_garabedian89

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of horsepower are you getting out of her?

8. Camden cornell

Camden cornell In First Gear

I don't think I'm at or above 600 right now, haven't put on headers or better heads on yet, but it hauls ass and burns alot of gas, just have the scat kit in it, d0ve heads, cj e manifolds, cj intake, a wild lunati flat tap cam, a quick fuel 1000cfm carb, plan on picking up the Kase scj heads and headers soon

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  9. C_garabedian89

Kind of exactly what I wanted to hear. Got some siblings I'm looking to beat. Do you have a stock rear end and gears?

10. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

Mostly it is a stroked 460. There are three main sizes of stroker crankshafts.