351w Stroking Help/Opinions

Discussion in 'General Automotive Questions' started by Ryder Smith, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Ryder Smith

Ryder Smith In First Gear

Hey guys, I'm hoping I can get some help here.

Currently, I have a 1971 Ford Ranchero I bought from a guy in town for $1300. It currently has a 302 on a C6 Automatic trans (and it runs great!). When I bought the Ranchero, there was LOADS of goodies in the bed. Including a bare 302 block and a bare 351w block with almost every part I would need to rebuild it to stock. However, my Dad and I are looking into rebuilding that 351w into a stroker engine. We've never rebuilt an engine but we're sure if we have enough info we could get it done.

The biggest question I have is, where do I start? What would you recommend stroking it out to? We've read about people stroking them to a 393 or 408. We've heard that the 393 is where you can save your pennies and its apparently more reliable, and there's not a HUGE difference between the two.

My mechanic knowledge is limited as I'm only 18, but I'm a quick learner and enjoy learning more.

If you guys could share some knowledge on this that'd be great. Links, photos, or even personal experience would be GREATLY appreciated. We'll take all the help and info we can get.

This is MY first project and I'm super stoked to get started on it once I save up some money to begin the process. Right now I'm trying to start off by taking it into a shop and having the whole block completely cleaned and painted before I start slapping it all together.

Thanks guys!

2. ribald1

ribald1 In Maximum Overdrive PLATINUM MEMBER

Building an engine, especially a stroker, is quite a bit more complicated than just bolting parts together.
    To start with you need the block checked; Lifter bores need to be measured to see if they are within specs, deck height needs to be measured, the block checked for cracks. Then the block needs to be bored or honed to match the piston size of your build.
    Knowing the deck height you can pick pistons and rods that give you the piston height you want. Piston height is a critical factor in how the engine will perform, you need to decide whether to utilize quench or not, and the desired compression ratio.

Come up with a complete plan and engine design before doing anything. Building an engine by the 'ready, fire, aim' method rarely works out in a satisfactory way. I realize you want to get going on it, but take your time, build it on paper, then pick up th wrenches.

andrewok1, Hillbilly and Cindy like this.
  3. Ryder Smith

We plan on getting the block checked before anything else happens, we also know about getting it bored or honed as well but the rest I did not know. But thank you for the info. We also plan to read up on Compression Ratios to get a better understanding. We're currently attempting to plan it/design it. But we're not exactly sure what EXACTLY we need to do/what is needed (as far as parts).

4. ribald1

Do you have a budget for the build? It is often best to start there as there is no practicle limit to how much can be spent building an engine.
    I have around $15,000 in the 521 I built, performance parts are expensive.
    The amount you budget will not only constrain options, but also make it easier for others here to offer help as we will know exactly what kind of engine you are trying to build.

pmrphil likes this.
  5. pmrphil

pmrphil In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

Absolute fact. That's the place to start, but keep in the back of your mind that usually budgets are exceeded by 10-15% by the "crap happens" route. :rolleyes:

6. Ryder Smith

I'm not entirely sure what my budget SHOULD be. My only real goal with this engine is to have it pushing enough horsepower for that C6 transmission to hold up. Unless you guys would recommend another transmission I should look into. I've read somewhere those C6 trans will hold up just fine in the 500-600 hp range? True? I KNOW I at least want to push 500 hp from this thing when it's all said and done years down the road.

7. pmrphil

pmrphil In Fourth Gear GOLD MEMBER

You'll never need anything stronger than the C-6. As far as your budget goes, first figure out how much you REALLY want to spend, and THEN find out how much power you can get for the money. Please don't even consider doing it backwards (as in "I want 600 HP, how much does it cost?") because there are too many ways to go about it.

8. ribald1

NEVER is a pretty big word, it takes a bit of effort to build a C6 that can handle more than 1200 HP. Getting a case to hold together at 15-1800 would require black magic.
    That said, 5-600 HP from a 408 stroker is not going to be cheap unless you want it to do only one 1/4 mile run or want the power for bragging rights rather than at an RPM that you will actually use.
    If you want that kind of power in a useable state, go with a big block.
    Physics limits you to around 1HP per cubic inch unless you raise the RPM or use forced induction.

9. Tygr1

Tygr1 In Fourth Gear SILVER MEMBER

Superchargers are fun.

10. ribald1

Especially if you add a bit of laughing gas to the mix!

11. Tygr1

Now we're getting somewhere.

12. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Alan Holmes in Fayetteville, TN. builds stroker engines for many race teams. It might be worth a call to talk with him about what you want. Alan is a good source of info and easy going.
    Phone= 931-433-7045 Fax= 931-438-0551 E-Mail= ( lincolncountyaut@bellsouth.net ) His shop name is Lincoln County Auto Parts. Tell him Petey Schwartz sent ya.

13. Tygr1

Good info, Petey.

14. Ryder Smith

Sorry for not responding on this post. I was caught up in school/finals/holidays.

I do have an interest in possibly throwing a supercharger into the mix. What's your views on turbos? (most likely not going to happen, but I just want to get some input from others).
    And as far as budget goes, I don't necessarily have one in mind because I've never actually done any of this. Right now, it's more of just once I have it all planned out, checked, measured, and bored to where I need it, I'll start looking into kits. And if I find one I'm interested in, I'll save up. I don't want to go cheap on this build since I want it to be something I can show and not worry about cheap crap ruining the whole thing. The entire Ranchero is going to be restored, inside and out.

Thanks for the info, Petey. I'll give him a call sometime.

15. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Kind of amusing story behind the stroker 351 W I have that Allen built. He did his magic on this Windsor resulting in an iron head engine that looks stock save for the intake and Demon carb. Allen ran it in his dirt track car locally, but he couldn't resist seeing it at full scream resulting in getting it banned from use in three states. One case where too much was not a good thing. Since he had to retire that engine it served duty in two street Mustangs whose drivers thought they could drive a car with exceptional power. The result was two ditch magnet totaled Mustangs. Thinking about using it in a 90 Lincoln Town Car to compliment a Hot Rod Lincoln project I'm gathering parts for. It should fit right in with the insanity.

16. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero MODERATOR Staff Member

You really should to have you kit before any machine work is done so the bore can be matched to the pistons.

Hillbilly likes this.
  17. ribald1

X2 on what 5.0 said. The hone job also needs to match the type of rings you use.