351w vs 400

Discussion in 'Ranchero Tech Reference & Articles' started by 74Chero, Sep 9, 2016.

1. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

What's a better engine and what would you choose and why? Trying to get opinions to decide what to go with.

2. ramair428cjxr7

ramair428cjxr7 In Overdrive

I have had 3 or 4 1978 and 79 f150 and 250 pick ups with 400 and they were great engines but i have also had 2 69 cougars and 3 69 mach 1s with 351 Windsor much better aftermarket and ford for that matter parts selection headers ,intakes , cams and u can bore and stroke a Windsor pretty cheap

3. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Im wanting to make my ranchero into a hot rod. Something I can go out and have fun in. Do burn outs and race around and beat on. What engine would be a better choice for that?

4. pmrphil

pmrphil In Overdrive GOLD MEMBER

A Windsor, by far. Superior oiling system, great aftermarket cylinder head availability, stroker kits up the wazoo. Not to mention smaller and lighter. Plenty of intake manifold choices depending on RPM range, trans, gear, etc.

5. ribald1

ribald1 Banned PLATINUM MEMBER

X2 on the Windsor.

6. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

X3 on the 351w

7. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

I'm asking because I came across a very good deal on a fresh rebuilt 400 from a buddy for $600. But I already have a Windsor HO motor.

8. Steve 74gtQ

Steve 74gtQ In Overdrive

Still would put the 600 in a Windsor 351
    You will be better off in the long haul.
    The clevland based engines are great no doubt but limited parts and short production runs makes it a no brainer.

9. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

X4. It's why I chose to re-engine Babe rather than try to find a 351M/400 to replace the seized engine. Swapping to the 351W and C4, I'm sure, shaved a couple hundred pounds, and the engine is a great candidate for EFI. Just source a 351W from '79 on, and it'll give you the widest array of choices for how hot you care to make it.

Hillbilly likes this.
  10. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Ill stick with the Windsor then thanks everyone. I like the 302/351w anyways.

11. handy_andy_cv64

handy_andy_cv64 In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

Cool. Another knight of the House of Windsor!

12. ribald1

You left out the 385 option.
    If you like the ponies, and tire ripping torque, a big block can't be beat.

RancheroRandy likes this.
  13. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

Realizing you've already made your decision, I'll still point out that if you would have chosen the 400, you'd also need to swap out the transmission....400 has the same bolt pattern as a 385 series big block.

14. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Then I chime in with what I found over the years = The 400's seem to have a resonance point at or above 4500 rpm where the block webbing tends to move or vibrate. This causes the cam bearings to disintegrate. When the cam bearings loose enough material your oil pressure drops enough to get into the danger zone. You can guess what happens if you continue to run the engine with no oil pressure. It is odd that the same basic design in the 351 C doesn't seem to do this. Early design 400's along with the 351M/400 are the ones that suffer this malady. They are great engines as long as you keep the rpm down but the urge for more grunt modifications has killed many of that breed. Personaly, I think they make great anchors for cabin cruisers. Sorry, just my observation.

15. 5.0 Chero

5.0 Chero Bahumbug Staff Member

I have to agree!!!!!!! But I think the same thing about Cleveland blocks too

16. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Ranchero has a 351m in it so transmission wouldn't be a problem

17. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Now I have made my decision to stay with a Windsor. I'm thinking of building it into a 392 stroker. What would I need exactly to do this? Also how much power will I gain going from 351 to 392 stroker? Also I will be using the stock heads for now and will go aluminum later down the road

18. ribald1

If your thinking along those lines, a 385 is a better choice.
    You can build one with substantially more power than the 392 stroker for less money, and it will be more reliable and street friendly.

19. Basstrix

Basstrix In Maximum Overdrive BRONZE MEMBER

I'm with ribald1, I thought you had a 351w....go with a big block..no tranny change needed and easy to make hp/torque.

20. 74Chero

74Chero In Third Gear

Thing is I already have a 351w HO and C6 in the garage. I also own a FMX SB bellhousing.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016