390-428 new adapters

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts for Sale LINKS' started by grebaba, Feb 8, 2019.

1. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

After I finish my 71 Ranchero I decided I needed a new project and bought a 63 Galaxie.
    While ordering parts for the 428 it dawned on me a lot of Ranchero's have the FE engine.
    I thought I would post pictures of the new adapters I ordered.
    The first one lets me use any 351c 4v intake on my 428. It cuts the intake change from hours to about 15 minutes.
    It comes with a machined valley cover. I wanted to watch my push rods flex at high RPM so I made the clear lexan plate for the valley cover.
    The timing cover has a removable plate so you can change cams without having to remove the whole front of the engine.
    The reason I bought this is I like to experiment with different cams and intakes and it will cut my change out time by two thirds.
    These are made by FE Power and are a very high quality part.
    I have nothing to do with this company except I bought my parts from them.
    Greg

Attached Files:

TestDummy likes this.
  2. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

That's cool. So you can remove the water pump and cover to pull out the cam, and that plexi cover to remove the lifters? Not in that order, of course.

3. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Yeah
    He all so sells an adjustable timing chain assembly so you can adjust your cam timing on the engine.
    I haven't ordered one yet but I am going to next week.

4. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Those are some neat parts have checked them out, but don't use them myself. Intake would end up to high with ram air on it. Playing with Edelbrock on mine as that's the way I got it.
    Push rod removal is "fun" in ranchero rear drivers side had to remove master cylinder from booster to get push rod out. Tight fit in there.
    Keep us up dated on cam selections. Trying to keep myself out of engine, at least for now.
    Car in body shop being done up down to bare metal and being prepped for paint. Lots of dollars to do it right.

5. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I decided to use a mild cam and went with a Comp Cams 280H. This is for a street run 63 Galaxie so I don't have to worry about hood clearance.
    On my Ranchero [71 429 CJ] I have it in my shop updating it now.
    I have added tubular A arms, Aldan American coil overs, in the front, Borgenson power steering , Roush Yates Detroit locker third member, Calvert mono leafs and traction bars, 4 wheel disc, Ron Francis wiring, Vintage air unit to replace the stock unit [about 30 lbs less] and a lot more.
    I have run a Wieand stealth intake on the 429 and it fits my shaker but is about a quarter inch higher but the shaker seal still seals good.
    Here are some pictures of the car when I started on it and a picture of the 429.
    Greg

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      847 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      842.7 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      889.8 KB
      Views:
    LSChero likes this.
  6. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Nice. Like your idea of mild 280 comp is where I start with small blocks decent single pattern cam.
    Lots of nice mods you've done there.
    I have been enjoying dual pattern cams for a good while now. Like the power curve better compared to single pattern cams (peaky) . Been looking at Comp dual energy and or Howard cams big mamma for my 428CJ. Both similar but would probably lean more to comp.
    Mine came with msd setup on it, Edelbrock performer intake ( small Ports) and whatever cam is in it has a decent lope to it, pulls about 12-13" vacumm.

7. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Both choices will work good with a 428 CJ. The performer is a very good street intake and I would keep it unless you want to go with the performer plus even you will a little vacuum but not enough to hurt the brakes if you have power breaks.
    Greg

8. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

To Dyno
    I forgot to mention on the intakes you do not have to run a tunnel ram on it.
    You can use any 351C intake including the stock intake.
    Just remember you will have to cut the intake to use with the adapter and won't be able to use it on a 351 again.
    Greg

9. HVAC22

HVAC22 In Third Gear GOLD MEMBER

The clear lexan plate is cool! Wish I could think of things like that:D! I have a 63 Gal also, great cars.

10. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I found a guy in my area with about 20 [62-63-64-etc]of them. I went to buy a convertible but they just needed to much rust repair for me. I spent 6 months repairing the rust in my 71 Ranchero and just didn't want to spend that much time on my new project.
    While Im was looking over his cars he took my into one of his shops [he has 5 of them all over 10,000 square feet] and he had this 63 that he had all ready done all the rust repair replaced the front suspension etc. It is about ready to paint.
    He quit working on it because he bought a 63 1/2 R code and decided to sell the one I bought.
    It is a 2 dr sedan with 22,000 orginal miles. It was a drag car from new. He had removed the roll bar but the driveshaft loop and the rear battery mount and fuel pump setup was still on the car.
    When I registered the lady told me it had not been registered since 1969.
    It had been in the first owners garage for 40 years and Randy [the guy I bought it from] said he had it in his shop since he bought it.
    I gave $3,000 for it and trailered it home.
    The funny thing is the first owner bought it for a drag car and ordered it with a 289 and a cruise o matic.
    the last combination I would order to drag.
    When I finish the Ranchero I will start on it. I am gathering parts for the 428 now and will have the machine work done next month.
    I love 63 Galaxies and hope to make this a nice street cruiser.
    Greg

11. HVAC22

That's cool,love hearing the stories behind people finding their cars. You are going to enjoy taking it to the finished product. My 63 is a convertible, 390, red on red, auto, bucket seats. My wife loves it!

12. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I bet she does. Nothing better then a 63 red convertible.
    Greg

13. TestDummy

TestDummy In Maximum Overdrive SILVER MEMBER

I have that cam in my 460. It sounds great at idle, and is pretty peppy off it.

14. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I was going to go with a bigger cam but I have to consider my fuel options.
    We can only get 91 octane here without making a 70 mile round trip.
    That is why I am keeping my compression down to 11-1.
    I have ran octane booster in some of my early builds but it seems like I am all ways running out when I need it.
    I hate compromising.
    Greg

TestDummy likes this.
  15. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Greg, didn't realize ya had to cut the 351 intake to work with the adapter plates. Good info. Been doing some reading on the FE site like the engine tech. Enjoy the galaxies they do look good.
    The car came with a vacuum can already hooked up in it.
    91 octane and 11-1 isn't a problem, watch the total advance and jet right.
    It's all a compromise to make it work. That's the art of hot rodding.

16. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

I think my timing will work out good at 38 to 40 degrees. I will experiment and find out.
    I am running aluminum heads so am not worried about the compression, I think I could run 11.5 and get away with it.
    I have all ways had hot rods and the original aim for this car was a comfortable daily driver that would idle all day and not heat up. In other words grandmas car.
    Well that didn't last to long.
    If I had the money I would put in a Kassee boss 9 or a SOHC in it.
    I just can't seem to build a original car engine unless it is for a customer.
    Guess It is in the cards that when I die it will be in a hot rod.
    Greg

17. HVAC22

The only thing better would be your engine in my Galaxie!

Attached Files:

Freestyle Don and Hillbilly like this.
  18. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

If you put my engine in your Galaxie your wife would probably hate it.
    I built a Maverick for mine with a all most race 351c in it and had to pull it out and put a near stock 351c in it to satisfy you know who.
    Greg

19. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

I guess I'm lucky as a guy can get, as long as it starts easily I could stick a top fuel engine in any of our cars and the wife would happily drive it to WalMart. Her Dad taught her well, she can even drive a stick without the clutch. I got a keeper !

20. grebaba

grebaba In Third Gear

Sounds like it.