390-428 new adapters

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts for Sale LINKS' started by grebaba, Feb 8, 2019.

1. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Those are some great numbers on that car. I all ways likes them but not with the 4 cylinder.
    I have tried all the old tricks on the rear of my 71 and none of them were to my liking. I was looking at some drag footage and saw 3 Ranchero's doing wheelies off the line. One 67 keep the wheels up for 60 feet at least.
    I was curious as to what these guys were running so I pulled the sponser name off of one of the cars and called them up.
    They told me they used the Calvert rear suspension so I called them up.
    When to their website and decided to give them a try.
    Car won't be on the road until august or September so hope to get it ready early enough to do a couple of test and tunes.
    I have about $900.00 in the rear end mods not counting the 9 inch so hope it works out.
    As far as the over drive is concerned I have a Doug Nash add on overdrive I can use in it. I still haven't decided if I will use it in the Ranchero or the 63 Galaxie.
    I have kicked around the nitrous ideal but don't know that I need it and really don't want to grenade my motor.
    Greg

2. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Thanks those numbers are all early 90's . Chassis was 70K back then engine we had 40k in then the clutch and trans. Reasons to do it on someone else's dime. The 57 cheby before that was only good for low 7's at about 189 mph before we got the Haas chassis. Fun time in that class.
    A lot of stuff was learned back then the driver was Joe Anderson used to race NHRA Pro Stock up into mid 80's. Worked for him number of years learned whatever I could most theory on engines I learned from him. Still catch up at least once a year at Ridgely, MD car show.
    May have to look at Calvert again, they usually worked.
    N2O not the reason for engine grenade if done right. Have seen plenty blow up at track or on dyno when not right. Fuel system has to have no leaks, Start at 7-1/2 lbs fuel pressure ( it will be fat) never go below 6-1/2 psi. Pull timing out as N2O is added. When using large quantity's pull timing by the handful.

3. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Good numbers for the 90's. Joe Anderson was a great driver. I watched him whenever they had the drags on TV.
    I know about the cost. We ran an alcohol funny car in the 80's.
    All most no sponsor's and after 4 years we had to give it up.
    Best run I remember was a 208 mph don't remember the time. That was in Louisiana in about 83 or 84.
    I have a Holly EFI for the Ranchero which will let me tune for the n2o and am still considering it.
    Will probably wait until next year to try it out.
    I was thinking a 150 or 200 shot just for fun.
    Greg

4. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Yeah he could drive. Remember reading the side of car standing on start line he kept it off the wall! Crew chief Bob Leach told me take him some Tylenol and a change of depends! Had fun with it. Made my childhood dream of being pro racing, not bad for a farm boy.
    Alcohol funny car? Name? Louisiana humid about 2" from being in water wherever you go. Bummer when it ends. Memories.
    What area ya in?
    I still prefer carbs running service replacement Holley on mine, haven't played with Holley EFI since they first came out.
    150-200 shot will change how car goes that's for sure.

5. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I would take him a box of depends when you see him again.
    I all ways wondered what happened to him as he just disappeared.
    Grew up on a farm my self. I didn't have a dream of pro racing but wanted to be the best mechanic I could be.
    I came from a racing family. My dad raced in the 50's and 60's in California and the west coast. Wasn't much chance to move up from there at the time.
    He raced Studebakers in the early 50's and then switched to Shelbys in the 60's.
    Mostly road racing but he also had a 40 Willies he drag raced in the 60's.
    The funny car was owned by the Stidham Brothers and was self sponsored.
    We raced out of Chickasha, Oklahoma.
    Greg

6. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

He has a shop in MD link below
    http://www.combined-ts.com/
    Was working with Super Stock team for a while. The plasma ignition was where he went after racing ended abruptly it was developed for spark ignited diesel, hot ignition makes MSD look weak spark. Last October had a hemi he was working on 750 lbs spring pressure on the seat. Larry Lombardo was there had a little engine forum with him. Kind of like an old racers meet for the car show. Roy Hill sometimes shows up.
    Stidham Brothers wish I could say i remember the car, don't off top of head. Your family was certainly into racing.
    My family didn't race or know much about it, have a nephew that is Pro flat track racer #44 if into the cycles, with a new team this year.
    Just remember righty tighty lefty loosey, never force it get a bigger hammer !!!
    LOL

7. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Thanks for the link. That is very interesting.
    I have all ways used Mallory over the years but since MSD bought them out I have read on the forums that MSD does not support them.One guy said he talked to the MSD tech and he said after they bought out Mallory they fired all the people there and don't know anything about the system.
    The Plasma ignition would be a great ideal. I think I remember reading about it a few years ago but never heard anything else about it.
    I will contact them Monday and see if they have any for my Fords or if it is just diesel Ng etc.
    We didn't make many national events as we were broke most of the time but did make Indy 2 years and raced the California and Texas tracks most of the time.
    There was no way we were going to compete with the big boys but it was fun while it lasted.
    Not much into cycles but good luck to your nephew.My hammer was never big enough.
    Greg

8. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Your welcome. Not sure what all they are making it for. Ng is different engines are 17" bores with 36" connecting rods running at 400 rpm.
    Did look up team and found the black car do remember it from back in day, used to keep up reading National Dragster.
    Never made it to tracks past Chicago really mainly east coast for us. IHRA easy rule book rule 1 run what ya brung and hope ya brung enough!
    Hear ya on the money, we were running out of a shop in Ma. all private funding. Hit the match races.
    Mallory actually 9v system with hall effect sensor, started from military surplus stuff. Got a Mallory dual point with my car when bought.
    Got a way from wrenching for a living , now manage a CNC shop.

9. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

In my last reply I didn't get to comment on Roy Hill. Company showed up and had to cut it short.
    I was a fan of Roy Hill I really liked him because he ran Fords. I am a Ford man from the start even though I have owned about everything else.
    I used to build 351C's for the outlaw late models and sprint car's in the area and had quit a few winners.
    I have 2 Mallory duel point disto's now and use them in a 428 and a 429..
    I am looking to replace them with something better but with the electronic units they can leave you stranded so I keep the Mallorys in the trunk so I have a backup.
    Wish I had a 4 axis cnc machine. I get ideal's of things I would like to make and then have to pay to have them made.
    I have ran IHRA and AHRA in the past. Liked the AHRA the best. Now am stuck with the NHRA.
    Oh well time flies.
    Greg

10. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Been into Fords all along, used to send Joe crazy.
    If you know any techs repairing CNC they can usually point you to a good deal. Bought 3 used machines last year for the price others are asking for one just because we asked the tech. Most of our machines are 3 axis have a couple 4 axis.
    Still build an engine for others once in a while. Find it relaxing.
    Don

11. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I don't know any repair techs and haven't really looked into buying one lately because I don't have any room for it.
    I just sold our 40,000 sf warehouse a couple of years ago and had to move everything out.
    My home shop is packed and I sent some of my stash of cars to my sister in Scottsdale to put in the auction. Hated to get rid of them but nobody in my family [ones that are left] have little interest in racing cars or working on them.
    They would rather take them to the dealer for work.
    Don't get me wrong they love to ride in fast cars just don't like to do the work.
    I just build my own now. I just put together the 429 for my 71 Ranchero CJ my dad bought new and am waiting on the machine shop to get an opening for the 428 going in the 63 Galaxie.
    I love to build them and have a 460 and a 351C in the shop I am going to build just for fun.
    May be I can find a 53 Studebaker without any rust [LOL] I can put the 351C in.
    If I live long enough I would like to find a 63 Falcon sprint for the 460.
    It is relaxing for me to work on these without a deadline and having to rush for a customer.
    Greg

HVAC22 likes this.
  12. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Sucks when ya have to get rid of stuff.
    No one in my family is into the cars either.
    Just have SVO spare 2.3 , T5 , couple 351W's and c-4 in garage along with 428 cj drive train waiting for ranchero to get done at body shop.
    Really enjoying the white "tool box" in garage keeps the Beer cold.
    Good luck finding either of those rides.

13. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I still have to get rid of some more stuff. Really hate to because it is getting down to the stuff I want to keep.
    The only thing is when I kick off my family does not have a clue what this stuff is worth. They will have an auction and let it go for a penny on the dollar.
    I have over 120,000 dollars of tools and equipment and it will go for about $5000.
    Oh well thats the way it goes.
    You need to find a pinto for the 2.3 add a bigger turbo or 2 small ones and go hunting for Ttoyota's and Honda's.
    Don't really need a white tool box here in the winter as I can just open a can in my shop and if I drink it real fast I can finish it before it freeze's.
    I do have one in the corner for those 100+ degree summer days.
    I found a Studebaker junk yard about 70 miles from me that has 75 of 80 stude's in it, mostly 4 doors but still quit a few 2 dr's. Most from the 30's to the 60's.
    They just have to much rust on them for me. I could buy 3 and make one but don't feel like putting that much work into a restore.Have found a couple sprints but haven't been able to catch the owners at home.
    What year Ranchero are you building?
    Greg

14. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Hear ya on getting rid of stuff .
    Let a bunch of stuff go when I lost storage space , work had me traveling so much couldn't find a place let alone move the stuff if I had found space.
    Need to advertise SVO and all parts clean up space otherwise it will get the 351w in it . Cheaper to build v8 then a 4cyl.
    Pass a Avanti for sale going back and forth to work. Different style either like it or hate it.
    Have a '69 Ranchero GT 428 cj ram air . Look for 69-r-code-project on this site. Bought it in pieces, know it's the wrong way but it was the deal that came my way. Numbers match take body back to original and have fun with the drive train. Think day 2 style, nothing that can't be undone with a little elbow grease.

15. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I still am not sure if I like the Avanti or not.
    When they came out I was reading Hot Rod about all the land speed records that they broke and wanted one. Wasn't so sure about the styling but sure liked the performance.
    I went and read your thread on your 69 and was amazed at how good a condition it was in when you bought it.
    I would have towed it home myself and then to find it had the original drive train would have made me think I had hit the lottery.
    As far as modifying it go ahead. I grew up when the first thing we did was strip off all the factory crap we didn't want and build it the way we liked.
    I don't see the way some have to have every chalk mark and paint strip in exactly the spot the way the factory did it but to each his own.
    I guess I was all ways a hot rodder and will all ways be.
    Greg

Kiwirancher likes this.
  16. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Agree hot rodder at heart.
    Can appreciate the cars all done factory just not my style, either. Already pissed off some 427 fairlane purists. Were willing to help with parts until I said I wasn't returning everything to factory spec. Oh well will find what I need one way or another.
    Seeing the original drive train still intact was a wow moment.
    Got the car from a widow she new it was one of a few. Her husband had been into showing it. Let her know I plan on doing some of same, not worried about awards. Just share it that way with others.
    I just got to read about what used to happen to the cars when new. Born in 66 i was a little young for them then. Have worked on plenty of stuff since.
    In the end it's just an old car. Plan to enjoy it.

17. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

If you don't enjoy them then you should sell them and buy a Prius. The hot rod standard.
    Greg

Dyno likes this.
  18. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Just got off the phone with Joe Lombardo on his Plasma ignition system. Really enjoyed talking to him, what a nice guy.
    He explained the theory behind the system and how it worked.
    He all so explained one of my biggest misconceptions on detonation.
    I was all ways taught that when you go lean with high compression the cylinder runs hot and burns the piston. He explained to me that when this condition [lean] happens the cylinder runs cooler. Still wrapping my head around that.
    I told him I was ready for a system for both my 428 and my 429 even they are not making them now.
    Good news is they are planning to go into production in the future.
    Can't wait as then I can up my compression to 15-1 and run on 91 octane gas.
    Thanks for the link.
    Greg

19. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Joe is good at talking. With the plasma ignition on fuel injected stuff they are using superchargers/ turbos to inject extra air into the engine making for an extremely lean engine , Run the throttle body wide open ( think diesel) and inject the fuel for power required. Different thought process but it works. That's how they got to 80 mpg with the caddy when they were trying to get to 100 mpg. Heck of an improvement.
    Think of the lean like a cutting torch set well will burn right thru stuff hit it with to much air and the cutting stops.
    Another read would be on Smokey Yunick when he did the fiero build, think Hot rod revisited that one in past 5 years? That was run super lean back then.
    We were running 17-1 compression in race engines then putting the nitrous to it.
    Glad ya liked link.

20. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I find this very interestering. If I was younger I would go back to school and see if I could pick some of it up.
    I remember Smokey's lean burn hi heat engine experment. I wanted to learn more about it but the info stopped. Smokey was quit secretive on his projects.
    Joe touched on not running blades and just adding fuel and it makes sense but I would never have thought of it on my own.
    It really gets the thought processes going. I have been thinking about this all day and probally won't get any sleep tonight.
    I really love new concepts and enjoy trying to figure them out.
    If he does go into production before I kick off then I won't mind ordering a blower and running a little lean.
    I would like to be able to run 15-1 on the street with 89 octane. That would be like having your cake and eating it to.
    Wish I could get up there for their weekly get together.
    Sounds interesting.
    Greg