390-428 new adapters

Discussion in 'Ranchero Parts for Sale LINKS' started by grebaba, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

It is a very interesting concept. Haven't dug into it enough myself, just scratched the surface.
    Always enjoyed reading articles on Smokey, thought provoking. The man tried a lot of stuff.
    Some of the methods used anymore remind me of diesel tech. High fuel pressures to atomize the fuel finer, running intake unrestricted and others.
    Here is another link for you. Variable compression engine site used to have some really neat graphics on how it worked.
    http://www.scuderigroup.com/
    Enjoy.
    I don't catch up with Joe as much as would like at only couple times a year. Couple hour drive each way. Probably a good thing at moment. End up working on stuff in his shop when I do get there. Always a good time though.

2. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

I went to the link and it is interesting. I will look at in depth in the morning when I have some time.
    Think you are right with the diesel comparison.
    It seems that with an ignition system that will burn all the fuel you have would have a much more efficent system with out the disadvantages of the diesel.
    I was reading up on it on the net today when I had some time and it seemed that all the previous attempts came up againest the ingition and fuel controll problem.
    I would like to inspect one of these engines [heads-chambers-valves-intake] after it had ran a 100,00 miles or so. I would bet it would be as clean as a whistle.
    Would also be interested in crank-main ware.
    I think I will spend some time and study up on this for a few years.
    Recieved an e mail from Joe today and printed it out. It explained the concept with pictures.
    I am going to study this a few days. It really raises some questions in my feble brain but I understand he can't answer my questions with out giving away his secrets.
    Greg

3. Hillbilly

Hillbilly In Maximum Overdrive

Following this too. Remember, it hasn't been that long ago that 14-1 ratios were common in Granny's Olds and Buick and other big blocks on the street. I attributed their relative short lifes to lax maintence and poorer oil qualitys. Maybe it takes bigger components like you find in diesels but their life spans didn't match todays either. Better metals and oils ? Like Greg, I want to see inside after a bunch of hours. Talked yesterday with a machinist friend who primarily rebuilds heads. He was bitching about what he finds in engines mostly run on ethanol blends, has seen a rash of engines that have deposits in the heads that no conventional methods of cleaning can remove. Wonder how that plays out mixed with better ignition ? Guess we have to wait until Joe perfects his system to find out how everything plays together.

grebaba likes this.
  4. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

When saying about like a diesel I am referring to the fuel pressures that were run to pop the injectors or like the newer LS engines are running with the electric to mechanical pump. Or look at what kind of fuel pressures are being run at the track ( fuel cars) primarily others do also.
    As far as the build up in engines, mainly what I've seen is the backside of valve buildup. is this what ya mean? Have seen nasty buildup there.
    Newer engines seem to "use" a little oil to me. The lighter tension and thinner ring packs play into that and that would be mixing in the intake charge with the fuel to make the buildup. A lot plays into it. Figure newer stuff excess "blow-by" has to go somewhere like thru Pcv system to intake the other part would be VVT laying cam back has piston moving without valve open engine needs are from somewhere, pulls it past rings. No it's not enough to foul plugs and don't get a blue haze while running it's a small amount.
    Have confirmed this happening in older engines where cams were ground retarded and chains were retarded also. Engine had no leaks ran good but would "use oil" . Just my .02 on this stuff. Open to other observations and theory's.
    Haven't checked one of the engines run with this ignition myself. Joe has been dealing with this ignition since about '93, if memory is correct. That was early stages of it back then. Since then it has been adapted to other uses, the big Re-cips (natural gas engines ) run pretty clean inside with magneto ignition. They only run around 400 rpm a lot of weight swinging when you have 17" bores on 36" connecting rods.
    The ignition is his thing I was never involved with the testing or installation of it on anything. Just find it as a neat system and totally outside the box thinking.

5. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Went ahead and mocked the intake to see if it would look ok.
    So far I am happy with it.
    Greg

Attached Files:

6. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Looks good ! Lots of nice parts there.

7. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Thanks
    My wallet has been crying since I bought the 428.
    Greg

8. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

When I bought mine was told FE stands for Freaking Expensive. ! LOL
    Now I'm a believer.

9. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Man
    That is the truth.
    Looks like the machine work is going to run from $1500 to $2000.
    The machine work on my 429 was only $800.00
    Greg

10. Dyno

Dyno In Third Gear

Ouch !!!
    Used to build SB for less, then got to playing with 2.3 turbo another not cheap.
    Whats the old saying Speed costs how fast ya want to go?

11. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

The bad thing is I was building this for a cruiser.
    I might hit the strip 8 or 10 times a year.
    I just can't resist hopping one up.
    Original plan was a 63 Galaxie, single 4 bbl. with a c6 and 355 rear. Nothing else, just something to cruise in.
    I should have known better.
    Greg

Dyno likes this.
  12. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

What?!? It doesn't stand for Fuel Efficient? :rolleyes: I've been trying for years to get an average of 10MPG in-town with my 352. I've been told that I might have a chance if I bump it up to a 390 (I already have the crank and connecting rods; now, I just need time to make the swap).

Joseph

Dyno likes this.
  13. grebaba

grebaba In Fourth Gear

Good luck
    The best I have ever got with the way I drive is 16 mpg with my 390 55 Ford custom.
    Greg

14. colnago

colnago In Maximum Overdrive

I would love to see numbers like that!

Joseph